Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killsteal  (Read 4570 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killsteal
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

By my most trusted companion no less. Well the most trusted one after the previous few died. But that doesn't matter.

I'm finally getting somewhere in adventure mode, and the local lawgiver believes it's time for me to test my might against a worthy oponent, a dragon who has slain two men in his lust for blood!
Great, I'd love a sweet kill to earn me a place in legends, especially after the last two notable oponents were killed by one of my lesser companions.

And then...
The battle was epic. One of my companions wasn't so lucky as to not bring a shield, he or she met a fiery death in the initial charge. Still we were three strong, and not about to give up. The dragon focuses on my trusty swordsman, who at the end of the battle became a wrestler, without arms.
Meanwhile I focused on weakening the beast, stabbing it in the lower body to tear its guts, making it sick. Afterwards I pierced its lungs, giving it a hard time breathing.
I then focused my attention on its head, scoring about 10 direct hits, stabbing my two handed sword in it's skull fracturing and shattering the skull.
The battle ended with the dragon bleeding to death. (looks like my sword wasn't quite long enough to pierce it's brains). No matter, it's dead and that's what counts.

I then check my kills. Hrm strange no additional kills. I look at my spearman companion, who did nothing but stab the dragons feet during the course of the battle. Slayer of Acathi Flamejade, the Silvery Fortune.

Fuuuuuuuuu!
I went totally berserk at that damned spearman, and the two other companions turned on me aswell. Well the wrestler didn't do much anyway.
One quick strike against the remaining maceman, severing an artery was enough to make him turn tail and run, the coward.
Wich leaved me with all the time I needed with my good companion the spearman. He was quite nicely armored, having a fine iron breastplate like mine. Wich made the fight all the sweeter.
It wasn't much of a fight in the end, but the pure joy of dismembering him limb per limb inbetween beating him silly by slamming into his breastplate. The brutality

And then it was over. Four men went to kill a dragon, only one returned to report the death. Justice dwarf fortress style.

Anyway, I ended up writing down my first major adventure, but what I really wanted to do is ask if there's any way I can avoid this, so that I am most likely to score the kill. Asides from going at it alone. Wich doesn't seem like a good idea, I need meatshield. Meatshields that can't steal kills preferably.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Killsteal
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »

Bring not warriors, but millers, fishermen, and smiths. They distract and die while you murder the monster.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »

Train more. After a certain point, even Dragons are an easy fight. Then go fight clowns.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:44:57 pm »

But I'm already a legendary fighter. My sword skill could use some work though.

Going underground, finding the third cavern layer and finding a demonic fortress for an adamantine weapon sounds very aluring however.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:30 pm »

Going underground, finding the third cavern layer and finding a demonic fortress for an adamantine weapon sounds very aluring however.

The skills actually keep going up above legendary. When you meet the exp requirement marked, it actually becomes legendary +x. If you use a program like Dwarf Therapist or Runesmith it shows these. I assume there is a limit at some point, but I haven't bothered to find it yet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:48:18 pm by Corneria »
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »

The skills actually keep going up above legendary. When you meet the exp requirement marked, it actually becomes legendary +x. If you use a program like Dwarf Therapist or Runesmith it shows these. I assume there is a limit at some point, but I haven't bothered to find it yet.

As far as I know, the useful limit is Legendary+5.  You can use the "z" menu to figure out how many levels of legendary you have.  If you're at Legendary+0, you'll need 2000 experience points to get to the next level.  For every +X levels you have, it adds X*100 experience to the requirement.  If it says "Fighter 1431/3100", then you're at Legendary+11.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:42 am »

Don't take civvies. At least not the civvies my world gens. These guys kill night creatures as part of their workout! I have a better chance at glory with 4 swordsmen than 1 peasant!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:44 am »

Don't take civvies. At least not the civvies my world gens. These guys kill night creatures as part of their workout! I have a better chance at glory with 4 swordsmen than 1 peasant!

Holy schist you're right, a random tanner I picked up in a backwater town just heavely injured a giant.

And he just stole the kill as well! FUUUUUUUU

Update: He now died to a random goblin. Serves him right.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:06:55 am by Jelle »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:18 am »

Holy schist you're right, a random tanner I picked up in a backwater town just heavely injured a giant.

And he just stole the kill as well! FUUUUUUUU

Update: He now died to a random goblin. Serves him right.
That's because civvies in towns are really retired veteran warriors. Those in fortresses are yet to finish their training.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »

That's because civvies in towns are really retired veteran warriors. Those in fortresses are yet to finish their training.
Only in Dwarf Fortress.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »

God, I hate kill-stealers. I spent an eternity chipping at a titan made of rock salt, and the bastard swordsman comes in and bisects him.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:33:08 pm »

This is something that makes me ragequit on a regular basis.

Peasants etc. are really no solution since their knives can be pretty deadly at times. Killed a lot of dragons that way.
In my experience the best companions are hammermen and macemen (unless they are carrying moringsstars). They hardly get any kills once the game is out of its "bandits and monster consorts"-phase.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 05:40:02 pm »

When you're killing titans, slaughtering masses of equipped armies and generally taking a piss while a pack of boogeymen wail at you, don't you wonder why you take your companions shit?

I make a note to myself, "when I kill that collosus, I'm the next public enemy", because I know damn well at that point I am the megabeast, the true terror of the population, when someone killsteals me it's intentional because I wanted my victim to be a little more famous when I cleaved off his torso with the trusty 2 H.

"If you can bring me no enemies worthy, I will kill you", and it's part of the fun, at the end of it all the most hardy enemies come in actual goodly armies with commanders that actually suit their role by having hammerers capable of beating the shit out of any hardened adventure, I should know because I've had this happen to me, of all the commanders of bandits and such, the real ones that test your strength are the ones that employed you and populated your villages.

If you ever reach the point where you're auto-attacking and not actually using aimed attacks and backing off to stand up/wear off stuns, the game isn't putting you on the edge and in the real end game the last remaining thing that can pose this much of a threat is those village captains.
Hello.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:43 pm »

I don't mind. I steal their kills all the time. It's all part of the game, fair play between us glory-chasing death machines.
Love, scriver~

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »

maybe 31.25 has good citizens, because when i recruit peasants they do their job.... as cannon fodder and meat shields. Unfortunately, the shields are so meaty that the next night i am beaten, raped..... beaten.....raped some more.......and more......and more.......and beaten again.......then more raping.......etc. by boogeymen.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: [1] 2