Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kamikaze FB?  (Read 1144 times)

Doradan

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Kamikaze FB?
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:54 am »

Setup: I embarked on a coastline, just cause I hadn't done so before, so that meant I had to dig down for fresh water. After hitting the caverns, I built a well over the body of water and dropped a scout dog down into the dry area. I then walled everything but the well off until I had the time and resources to develop down there in ernest.

This is where things get interesting.

After a few seasons, an artifact set of native gold earrings and a wave of migrants later, I got rather startled by a message of a Forgotten Beast appearing.

Because I didn't think of getting a screenshot at the time, I can only paraphrase what it looked like - basically, it was a fleshy mass of eyeballs with wings, and a dust attack. Now, this was my first FB EVER, so I was kinda scared. I was further scared when I realized that the thing could fly, and could path to my fort through the well. Oh, and I had only one marksdwarf at the time.

After a few moments of apprehension, it went in a different direction, much to my confusion. Then I realized - it was going after my scout dog. The poor little pooch bolted down a ramp as fast as it could, but the FB was just too fast. The thing caught up to the dog... and promtly exploded.

After the dust settled, the dog was dead (major concussive damage), but so was the FB, having been flung by its own attack against the ceiling. I had to stop and go to work after that, but I'm probably gonna deconstruct the wall so I can go butcher the remains of that FB.
CHIMPANZEES ARE FUCKING VICIOUS. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. BEWARE THE CHIMPS, THEY SEEK ONLY TO DESTROY.
Doradan cancels Craft Signature: Interrupted by Buzzard

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kamikaze FB?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:54 am »

Yeah there is one kind of dust attack that is currently bugged to hell.  Pretty much instadeath for everything in its path... including the source creature for some reason. 

They are still sort of interesting creatures to fight - kinda just blow the hell up all over the place. 
where is up?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »

Those are my second favorite FB's. I imagine they just wander around for hundreds of years, then when they see something moving for the first time they get excited, and sneeze themselves into a wall, splattering.

My second favorite is the more sedate ones that stand still long enough for me to drop a cave-in torpedo 12 stories onto their heads. Bonus if they had rotblood too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:23 am »

Then imagine the "more sedate ones" lifestories: They wander for hundreds of years, until suddenly, a block of rock falls onto their heads, squishing them.

Depressing in it's way...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

I wouldn't really call it "bugged to hell." There just isn't a bit of the code that makes dust-using FBs immune to their own dust. Basically it uses the same mechanics as cave-in dust, which means that anything in the dust cloud gets flung in random directions, including up. This can be problematic for dust-using FBs that can't fly.

The upside is that if it CAN fly, you get ninjas.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2128-rocketdragon
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:52 pm »

IIRC creatures that get flung by something (generally dust, hammerdwarfs, or gravity) can't do anything until they stop being propelled, so I don't think that would work. They'd just get blasted upwards and immediately fall back down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.