Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommend me a mod, guys.  (Read 2169 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Recommend me a mod, guys.
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:24:11 am »

Ever since I accidentally deleted my modded DF raws, I've been kind of discouraged to play DF and I can't seemingly go back to play it again. Ever since I modded my game, I feel like I can't go back to playing vanilla DF.

Like what the topic header says, recommend me a mod that doesn't add too much sieges like Fortress Defense or give me very hard late game sieges, like mind flayers from the Genesis mod.

Otherwise, I will patiently wait for Toady to finish his necromancy update.

Many thanks in advance too for your input. :D
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a mod, guys.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:47 am »

Pick at pieces of other mods.  I enjoy watching my soldiers cleave through legions, so I use FD with all blunts modded out, and a few edged weapons modded in to compensate for some.  This, no siegers bring hammers or scourges or any other big killers.  I still have to contend with waves of enemies, but it's possible to meet them head on (no traps) without being total suicide.

So take FD, and remove the late-game, or take Genesis and remove the mind flayers.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:52 am »

Yeah, with Fortress Defense Mod, you can just choose not to use the big entity file, and instead add only the entity files of the weaker civs (I think everything is pretty easy except hellfire imps and elephants, and maybe the new ferric elves). This will allow you to experience a lot more battles while never having to fight the really tough opponents.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:37 am »

As others have said, modding by selective copy pasting existing works is very easy. What's important is what sort of playstyle you want to exercise. I once had the urge to see swathes of enemies die horribly to rows of weapon traps so I added in a cheat metal and modded the menacing spike to be something else. Another time I wanted to see a legion of ranged units so I took that cheat metal and modded crossbows to be more lethal - I also removed daggers and ranged weapons for other races while adding 3 clone civs of goblins, calling them elves instead.

While at it, I changed the names of toys so I can create "schist trading cards" and "gold mahjong sets". My cooks create pizzas and sushi instead of stews and roasts. I brew cucumber beer in winter instead of dwarven wine. I ponder over how a glass violin is possible but move on. My soldiers get armour-class cloaks that civilians don't claim.

In a previous version, I had spleensteel which required spleens to forge. The idea was to then give goblins their own racial metal and some ultimate metal could be formed by mixing the two together.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »

I'm personally becoming fond of 300 style slaughters, so I'm very likely to take FD mod, and copy stranglers and tigermen a few times, modded to rarely wear armor, siege all during the same season, no mounts, etc.  It should give me hordes of weak enemies that my soldiers can mow through.  Then something tougher, like some form of war elephant as a later-game civ.  Hordes of fodder paved down before the giants arrive.

Regardless, the point is, you can do modding on your own.  It's very easy once you realize how it's done, and it makes the game so much richer.  Sure, vanilla is very nice, and others have put a lot of thoughts into their mods, but you can just as easily tweak it to suit yourself better.  Which is what it all comes down to.  Mod it so that you can have fun ^^

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:02 pm »

Personally I'm a fan of Orcs.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:29 pm »

The mod I'm working on, and am planning on releasing within the next week, is probably what you are looking for.  It is mostly just a Vanilla Plus type of mod.  I change only a few of the gameplay mechanics and add a bunch of interesting workshops and what not.  And like what is mentioned above, a lot of it is copying and pasting and tweaking things from other mods that I enjoy.

Keep an eye out for it in the mod forum.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

I'm considering a mod, inspired by someone else's attempt.  You can sheer creatures now, for wool, but you can sheer any tissue off them.  This would allow, for example, for the Boulder Crab, a large cavern creature that harvests rocks for chemical energy and to grow its shell.  The shell can be sheered, producing a number of useless garbage tissues.  However, these would be automatically taken to the forge (or elsewhere) and turned into their finished product.  A marble crab would allow you to harvest marble tissue, which is then put through the workshop and produces marble boulders.  Or copper.  Or emeralds.  In this way, you could subsist your metal production on Boulder Crabs, albeit at a rate of ~1 boulder per season, per crab, with some rarer harvests.  Like, a precious metal crab could produce a silver and gold shell that would produce 1 silver per season, 1 gold every two seasons, and 1 platinum every 2 years.  Gem crabs may produce a lot of "junk" gems, but have a slower production of valuable gems.  They wouldn't be bad as war creatures either, since they have hides of stone or metal.

I have NOT worked on this yet, but if/when I do, they'll be very expensive, slow-breeding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] animals, and the reactions that turn the tissue into usable material would be automatic (the way that "Process Fat" is automatic) so that you could sheer them and leave them alone.  A similar style of enemy could be devised, which when butchered, the resulting tissue could be taken to the workshop and turned into materials, which would allow people to play on resource-devoid maps and still have nice things.

Sorry, got carried away and ranted a bit :P

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:56:51 pm »

If dig Dwarfier were out for .25, I'd go with that one.  It's available for 40d only so far as I know.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:28 am »

Thank you very much for the mod suggestions guys. I might as well stop slacking around and mod the mods themselves, although I feel a bit discouraged since I constantly modded my game, only to accidentally delete the raws. D:

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for that Vanilla Plus mod, so that if I can't decide what to do yet, I might as well try that.

Once again, thank you guys.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:23 am »

I really like Genesis Mod, it really overhauls the game.

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:57:39 am »

I really like Genesis Mod, it really overhauls the game.

What he said.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:20 am »

I was playing Civ Forge back in the day, and it's been updated to DF2010. I'd recommend that. Lots of civs, creatures, etc.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:05 am »

IMO, Genesis mod is the best mod out there, as it overhauls the game, adds many new items, keeps the DF theme, and reasonable sieges.

My only problem isn't about genesis, it's that I dunno if I can handle a full blown siege (sieges tend to happen monthly), and that I tend to mod my game, and I might be wasting my time modding, since necros and vamps are fast approaching.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:32:49 am »

I'm considering a mod, inspired by someone else's attempt.  You can sheer creatures now, for wool, but you can sheer any tissue off them.  This would allow, for example, for the Boulder Crab, a large cavern creature that harvests rocks for chemical energy and to grow its shell.  The shell can be sheered, producing a number of useless garbage tissues.  However, these would be automatically taken to the forge (or elsewhere) and turned into their finished product.  A marble crab would allow you to harvest marble tissue, which is then put through the workshop and produces marble boulders.  Or copper.  Or emeralds.  In this way, you could subsist your metal production on Boulder Crabs, albeit at a rate of ~1 boulder per season, per crab, with some rarer harvests.  Like, a precious metal crab could produce a silver and gold shell that would produce 1 silver per season, 1 gold every two seasons, and 1 platinum every 2 years.  Gem crabs may produce a lot of "junk" gems, but have a slower production of valuable gems.  They wouldn't be bad as war creatures either, since they have hides of stone or metal.

I have NOT worked on this yet, but if/when I do, they'll be very expensive, slow-breeding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] animals, and the reactions that turn the tissue into usable material would be automatic (the way that "Process Fat" is automatic) so that you could sheer them and leave them alone.  A similar style of enemy could be devised, which when butchered, the resulting tissue could be taken to the workshop and turned into materials, which would allow people to play on resource-devoid maps and still have nice things.

Sorry, got carried away and ranted a bit :P

must shear elves for fat and make soap!

Pages: [1] 2