Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I hate bogeymen, do you?  (Read 7306 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate bogeymen, do you?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

cool. gotta try that if it really works

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:00 am »

I don't understand why people have so much issue with bogeyman. Backpedal so only one is ever in range, aim for lower body with a slash. Any adventurer with even moderate skill has an extremely high chance of cutting them in half, killing them instantly. Hell, it doesn't take very high skills at all  to just be able to stand in the middle of them and laugh.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Goon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »

Hmmm, some are saying "don't travel at night" but, when i'm in the "middle of nowhere" how can i do to don't travel and let the night pass? (sorry for my english)
It's quite obliged to travel at night in this case no?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »

I don't understand why people have so much issue with bogeyman. Backpedal so only one is ever in range, aim for lower body with a slash. Any adventurer with even moderate skill has an extremely high chance of cutting them in half, killing them instantly. Hell, it doesn't take very high skills at all  to just be able to stand in the middle of them and laugh.

It's hardly ever that easy for me.  These things are hard to hit, and fast.  I can't even attack one of them for too long without being surrounded by the rest. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

It's hardly ever that easy for me.  These things are hard to hit, and fast.  I can't even attack one of them for too long without being surrounded by the rest.

You aren't supposed to attack one for long. Unless your speed is still really low (in which case you should use a throw macro until it isn't) you backpedal until there is only one adjacent. Aim lower body, slash. If there is still only one adjacent, attacking again is an option, but risky if you don't have decent armor. If there is more than one, return to backpedaling until only one is adjacent again. If you are using a weapon that can't slash, stabbing the lower body so they fall over is still a decent tactic.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:24 am »

I guess one major problem with Boogeymen is if you don't have a world with a large enough population then what you end up being essentially stuck with is characters with maxed out agility and high strength just to deal with them.

I also hate that blunt weapons are almost useless against them since soft tissue is mostly uttarly immune to blunt force trauma in this game. If a boogeyman ever attacked without a skull there would be no way to win.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 04:20:22 am »

Aren't bogeymen skills randomly rolled each world? So their difficulty is randomised.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 05:05:17 am »

Aren't bogeymen skills randomly rolled each world? So their difficulty is randomised.

not really sure how much it varies. I've played maybe ~6 adventurers across as many worlds since bogeymen were implemented and I've never had it as tough as OP, seemingly.

on topic, what's the average speed of your adventurers, NRDL? from my experience, you'll need to get it to at least 1,6k+ to fight bogeymen properly. also, when fighting bogeymen, it's never a good idea to take a shot you don't have a reasonable chance of landing. If your Shift+A screen isn't giving you a good chance to hit something important, don't attack - step out of range. The bogeyman will come after you, allowing you to repeat the process until you've got a good chance of striking off a leg or something.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:06:49 am by jrmy »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 05:07:33 am »

not really sure how much it varies. I've played maybe ~6 adventurers across as many worlds since bogeymen were implemented and I've never had it as tough as OP, seemingly.

on topic, what's the average speed of your adventurers, NRDL? from my experience, you'll need to get it to at least 1,6k+ to fight bogeymen properly. also, when fighting bogeymen, it's never a good idea to take a shot you don't have a reasonable chance of landing. If your Shift+A screen isn't giving you a good chance to hit something important, don't attack - step backwards again and repeat the process.

The average speed of most of my adventurers ( who are not dwarves, they're the slowest ) varies between 1000 and 1200 something-something. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:30 am »

on topic, what's the average speed of your adventurers, NRDL? from my experience, you'll need to get it to at least 1,6k+ to fight bogeymen properly. also, when fighting bogeymen, it's never a good idea to take a shot you don't have a reasonable chance of landing. If your Shift+A screen isn't giving you a good chance to hit something important, don't attack - step backwards again and repeat the process.

The average speed of most of my adventurers ( who are not dwarves, they're the slowest ) varies between 1000 and 1200 something-something. 

wrestle a cougar antil it's 1300-1400, then run away from boogiemen

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 05:20:01 am »

I usually play dwarves.  Let them gang up close -> Martial Trance.  Then trounce them any way you can.  I beat them with a steel warhammer with my first adventurer this way.  It required some patience...

Another trick is to sleep on the beach, out on a little peninsula. I thought I'd be able to swim to safety if necessary, but it turns out they never attacked me when I slept on the beach!

eepkeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Yawner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 06:31:03 am »

Obviously you shouldn't travel at night, especially without companions, but if you have absolutely have to... Here's some tips.

Regarding avoiding bogeymen at night, I've noticed that they don't pop up when you're travelling in deserts, badlands and the like. Instead you might have to deal with trolls, bandits, animals, other night creatures and stuff but never bogeymen for some reason.

Never sleep outside at night. Sometimes they get the jump on you and get a few hits in while you're still unconscious. That really sucks. Plus, when you get up you may still be 'stunned' so that slows you down quite a bit. It helps your chances, even if only by a little, to stay awake.

If you want to outrun them, then the best thing to do if you can't get to a town before it turns dark is to get as close as possible, then run as fast as you can while trying not to get into a bogeyman's range. An adventurer with average speed can accomplish this with luck (i.e. the randomly-generated bogeymen aren't super-fast or strong) but it may take a long time before you actually get there because you can't use the travel screen. You can also use cleared-out monster lairs or caves.

Once you get strong, fast and skilled enough it's pretty easy to just slice bogeymen in half until they stop coming. Simply aim for the lower body. If you're not on the level to take them out in one hit, then I wouldn't recommend engaging them because they have a tendency to hit really hard. If you're confident, then you can jump around a bit and wait for them to come into range before you get into range of them (that's basic DF adventurer mode combat, really) and try to cripple them by lopping off limbs etc. before going in for the kill. Decapitation works best. Make sure they don't surround you; take them one at a time. It's best to aim for the extremities, i.e. hands and feet, because they are easier to hit. Also keep in mind that they can still die of blood loss. If you're using a blunt weapon then smash their bones up a bit, then stab in the face with a spare dagger or sword. If you don't have one, pulverise their faces. Patience is key, as always, when it comes to killing with blunt weapons.

Another good tip is to have the best equipment possible, but I guess that goes without saying. A good helm can be a lifesaver, and gauntlets and boots can prevent cripplingly painful bone damage. I've noticed, though, that for some reason armor works only half as well when you're asleep. Not sure if that's just my luck and the RNG likes spawning bogeymen with armor-piercing fists when I'm asleep, but I guess it probably has something to do with armor skill.
Eepkeep cancels Build signature: Needs creativity

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 07:31:59 am »

... Not sure if that's just my luck and the RNG likes spawning bogeymen with armor-piercing fists when I'm asleep, but I guess it probably has something to do with armor skill.
It's related to this post.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36256.msg2048569#msg2048569

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 11:47:09 am »

Safe way to take on packs of bogeymen.

Weirdly enough boogeymen are easiest to kill without the use of a weapon, you'll want to be good at striking and have a fair amount of speed.

First you want to separate one of the boogeymen from the pack, either by circling or running in a straight line until one teleports to intercept you, ram into it making sure to knock it down, if it dodges you failed and should run around again until you manage to knock one down.

When you knock it down, aim attack, BITE limbs preferably feet, lower legs or hands, if you latch on shake it around and a lot of the time (depending upon your biting, strength and/wrestling skill) you'll completely rip off the body part with it still in your mouth, at this point he'll be bleeding quite heavily, sometimes they don't need more than a leg to kill, other times you need to tear off more limbs in the same manner.

Try not to run in a straight line if you down one, they seem to respawn/regen when you run too far, circle the area letting the wounded ones crawl around and separating them one by one.

Later in the game when you have legendary in swordsman or axeman they're very easy to kill, just single them out and swipe a few times, on some occasions you outright kill them by chopping off their torso!

Also another way to avoid encounters at night is to find a shitty critter, unequip your shield and weapon then change stances to stand ground, works on groundhogs and buzzards but try this on a horse and you'll likely to get fucked up.

You can hold down turn skip until sunrise without fear of ever encountering anyone else apart from critters that spawn in the biome.
Hello.

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »

I prefer trying not to end up alone far from settlements, and if I am alone, I go to the nearest lair and sleep there. But in the even that ambushers finish off my last companion, I simply try to run to the nearest town/fort./lair Badgers are your friends in this situation, avoid them and let them slow down the boogeys. Just keep running, only attack if one is in your way, but try your hardest not to stop. Attack the legs when possible, maybe throw junk at them from time to time. I never really defeat them myself, I either escape or die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4