Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I hate bogeymen, do you?  (Read 7292 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
I hate bogeymen, do you?
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:51:17 am »

Title.  Says.  It.  All.  Picture this: You are going through the forest on a mission, when suddenly, night falls.  You try to make it back to a nearby town, but it's futile, they will catch you.  Even if you are fast enough to outrun them, they will never stop coming.  They will always continue, never resting or eating, never stopping their evil cackle...

So I have started this thread for one reason.  To put an end to the shadowy bastards that are bogeymen.  How many times have you lost your favorite adventurer to these things?  They're worse than demons, at least demons don't multiply infinitely.  Here's how this will work. 

1. Post any mods or stuff like that completely remove bogeymen from the game. I WANT THEM GONE.  This takes precedence over anything else. 

2. Post any strategies for avoiding bogeymen without resorting to companions. 

3. Post any strategies on fighting bogeymen.  This is a last resort, because I never, ever want to fight them. 

4. Related to number three, post the skills necessary to battle against these monsters.  Again, I never want to fight them, but if I have to, I want to know how. 

If you say that I should set night creature variation to 0, PLEASE, specify and do it step by step.  I have heard this a dozen times.  Also, if you have any IMPORTANT advice or tips, please explain and specify clearly.  This isn't just for me, this is for anyone who wants a detailed guide on fighting bogeymen.  I'm counting on all of you. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: I hate bogeymen, do you?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:05:23 am »

I usually grab a companion or turn the bogies into companions and continue on my way
I do this using Dfusion.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:05:47 am »

1: There are no mods! MUHUHUHUHAAA!

2: NEVER TRAVEL AT NIGHT.

3: Try to run around and seperate the boogiemen. They kill because they outnumber you

4: Take out the legs first, preferably by charging, then go for the arms, body or head.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:20 am »

3: Try to run around and seperate the boogiemen. They kill because they outnumber you

4: Take out the legs first, preferably by charging, then go for the arms, body or head.

Really?  No mods at all, huh?  Oh well, I'll see if I can find some other poster's perspective.  Also, never traveling at night is impractical.  A lot of missions I get are, at least half a day away, and I don't like using companions, so night falls just as I'm about to reach my objective.  BTW, I have died at the hands of bogeymen around a dozen times.  I know they are powerful.  I want to know how to beat them.  I'm glad you used the organized format, but I was also hoping you would put in what type of skills an adventurer would need to fend off bogeymen.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:12:02 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:48 am »

you dont need mods for the 1st. gen a new world with advanced parameters and set number of night creatures to 0. though it removes moon ogres and all the nice night creatures also. then you'll have to watch out for only bandits and wildlife.

2. dont travel at night

3. "backpedal" and attack only when there is one bogeyman near you, dont get surrounded

4. well, attack their feet so they move more slowly and you could outrun them atleast, or I tend to strike for body/head if its easy to hit

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:10 am »

Really?  No mods at all, huh?  Oh well, I'll see if I can find some other poster's perspective.  Also, never traveling at night is impractical.  A lot of missions I get are, at least half a day away, and I don't like using companions, so night falls just as I'm about to reach my objective.  I'm glad you used the organized format, but I was hoping what type of skills an adventurer would need to fend off bogeymen.
Just sleep in the nearest town/destroyed bandit camp/cave/lair to prevent bogeymen from attacking you. Also, I think the more bogeymen you kill, the less bogeymen spawn there.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:15:14 am »

you dont need mods for the 1st. gen a new world with advanced parameters and set number of night creatures to 0. though it removes moon ogres and all the nice night creatures also. then you'll have to watch out for only bandits and wildlife.

As I said in my first post, please specify step-by-step.  I've tried to do this before but it didn't work.  I don't know, I might have been the one who did something wrong that's why clear instructions are so important. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:16:07 am »

you cant sleep in bandit lairs, or atleast i havent been able to, but lairs and caves are excellent choice.
if you sleep in lair, sleep near the door, so you can see the sky and sleep till the morning, you can still get ambushed by bogeymen but just move inside a lair and they vanish and you can sleep again till morning

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:01 am »

Really?  No mods at all, huh?  Oh well, I'll see if I can find some other poster's perspective.  Also, never traveling at night is impractical.  A lot of missions I get are, at least half a day away, and I don't like using companions, so night falls just as I'm about to reach my objective.  I'm glad you used the organized format, but I was hoping what type of skills an adventurer would need to fend off bogeymen.
Just sleep in the nearest town/destroyed bandit camp/cave/lair to prevent bogeymen from attacking you. Also, I think the more bogeymen you kill, the less bogeymen spawn there.

Sorry if I'm saying the same thing over and over again, but the fact is, for me, the objective of the quest is usually so far away that I can't sleep in a town or any nearby bandit camp/lair.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:50 am »

As I said in my first post, please specify step-by-step.  I've tried to do this before but it didn't work.  I don't know, I might have been the one who did something wrong that's why clear instructions are so important.

well...

1. you select, Design a new world using advanced parameters
2. choose size of the region you want to make and then press "e"
3. press "page down" 5 times and you should see "Number of Night Creature Types" near the middle of the screen, set it to 0 and you are done,
4. press esc and then f6 to save your world parameters and press enter to generate it

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:37 am »

train your wrestling to legendary, then you'll be able to grab their heads and gouge their eyes.
This makes them no more dangerous then raccoons. Just make sure not to miss the center eye if they've got three. All you need is a slightly higher speed and legendary wrestling (both are trained easily after wrestling a wolf for a day)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:33 am »

well...

1. you select, Design a new world using advanced parameters
2. choose size of the region you want to make and then press "e"
3. press "page down" 5 times and you should see "Number of Night Creature Types" near the middle of the screen, set it to 0 and you are done,
4. press esc and then f6 to save your world parameters and press enter to generate it

It seems to have worked...thank you Doro, thank you so much.  I still can't wait to see what other advice you guys can dish out. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:27 am »

The worst is when your companion randomly ditches without saying anything.

Once I got attacked in the middle of a forest at the beginning of the night. I ran ALL NIGHT from them! I escaped relatively unscathed due to my armor and high Dex but damn, it took forever!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:28 am »

train your wrestling to legendary, then you'll be able to grab their heads and gouge their eyes.
This makes them no more dangerous then raccoons. Just make sure not to miss the center eye if they've got three. All you need is a slightly higher speed and legendary wrestling (both are trained easily after wrestling a wolf for a day)

i dont see any good in gouging some1's eyes, if player loses his eyes, his vision is reduced (to 1 square, iirc?) but you can still attack any1 near you as if you had eyes.
so i imagine that crossbow gobbo can still hit me from 10000 tiles away, no matter if he had eyes or not

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34:54 am »

i dont see any good in gouging some1's eyes, if player loses his eyes, his vision is reduced (to 1 square, iirc?) but you can still attack any1 near you as if you had eyes.
so i imagine that crossbow gobbo can still hit me from 10000 tiles away, no matter if he had eyes or not
i didn't try that with goblins because you can just strangle them. With bogeymen however this makes them cease attacking you entirely, and only kick back on occasional counter-attack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4