Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for Operations  (Read 796 times)

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time for Operations
« on: June 09, 2011, 05:43:01 am »

What's a quick, fairly safe way to injure Dwarfs so that I can build and keep sharp doctor skills? I'd quite like to have a non-rusty, skilled or better Diagnostician on hand for when the first FB rears his ugly head.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time for Operations
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:51:04 am »

2~3 z-level drop using a retracting bridge and probably a burrow or a custom-lever.

Mind, I've never had trouble with dabbling doctor skills - all my interchangeable mooks do doctoring on top of other mook duties like tanning and threshing.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:45 am »

My doctor doesn't get tons of work, except when the odd siege comes around, and he has assistants for then anyhow. He spends his free time as the local butcher.

...What?

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:35 am »

My doctor doesn't get tons of work, except when the odd siege comes around, and he has assistants for then anyhow. He spends his free time as the local butcher.

...What?

My competent Axedwarf is also a part time surgeon.

Only 20% of his patients were put there because of him.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

How to drop a dwarf, or how to drop a dwarf?  If you want to drop any random dwarf - indeed, several in quick succession - build a U shape with walls.  In the dip of the U, add a 1x1 retracting bridge.  Beside this bridge, place a connected pressure plate.  Designate the internal wall for deconstruction.  It should look something like...
Code: [Select]
WWWW
C+P
WWWW
Walls; C bait wall, designated for removal; + retracting drawbridge; P linked pressure plate.

This will cause someone, usually a child, to go remove the wall, and in the process will flip the plate, and then fling themselves off the bridge, down a 2-3 level fall that you should have already prepared.  That dwarf will wander to the hospital, and someone else will come to remove the building immediately, until your entire fort is injured.  Be careful of this, and remove the designation and/or block the entry when you've injured enough dwarves.

If you want to injure a specific dwarf, then you should build a long bridge at the end of a narrow hallway, with a lever on each end:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWW
WL+++++L
WWWWWWWWW
Link both levers to the bridge.  The right lever should be open for anyone.  The left lever is profiled for your one dwarf.  Have that dwarf pull the lever, and they walk back into the main hall.  The bridge, on a short delay, will disappear once he's walked some, allowing him to drop.  Then order the right lever pulled a few times, so that you can reset the trap from the outside without having to deconstruct anything (or put pressure plates at the bottom of the pit, as they'll trigger once the victim falls).  This has the advantage that it targets a specific dwarf, so you can toss your lye maker in, but is slower and a bit more micromanagement.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:29 am »

...What?
My doctor was like that too - he was a grand master butcher because I edited the ethics raws so goblins and 3 subraces of elves were constantly in the pile of "waiting to be butchered".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »

...What?
My doctor was like that too - he was a grand master butcher because I edited the ethics raws so goblins and 3 subraces of elves were constantly in the pile of "waiting to be butchered".

Nice. I don't do lots of raw editing, so he's mostly just hacking apart geese.