Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Artifact (bug?)  (Read 955 times)

landrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Interesting Artifact (bug?)
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:07 am »

Hi all,

just at this moment my bone crafter made an interesting bone craft. Behold... a menacing bone spike...?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its like those chinese artist, painting your name on a rice corn. It has even smaller spikes on it, how awesome is that? :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Artifact (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:56:00 am »

Menacing spikes are now a trap weapon, so I would assume it's that. Doesn't make the fact that your spike has spikes on it any less dwarfy, however.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:06:20 am »

Hi all,

just at this moment my bone crafter made an interesting bone craft. Behold... a menacing bone spike...?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its like those chinese artist, painting your name on a rice corn. It has even smaller spikes on it, how awesome is that? :)

Name the guy X to Z Xzibit

'Yo dawg we heard you like spikes so we put spikes on yo spike, so you can kill elves while you're killing gobbo's'
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:40 am »

Build it in a trap corridor that you wont be flooding with magma, preferably one that gets high traffic during cleanups and stuff.  Little happy landmine for your haulers :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:31 am »

if bone can burn you can have a spike of eternal flame to impale your nobles on

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:19 am »

if bone can burn you can have a spike of eternal flame to impale your nobles on

I once burned a corpse (using a bonfire from Warlord's mod) and it disappeared completely. I don't know if it would have degraded down to a skeleton, but...I think bone is flammable. I mean, bone char is a thing (not in game, but IRL), so it must burn.

ETERNALLY FLAMING SPIKED BONE SPIKE! MAKE IT SO!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:39 am »

Build it in a trap corridor that you wont be flooding with magma, preferably one that gets high traffic during cleanups and stuff.  Little happy landmine for your haulers :)

why no magma!?  :'(
i heard artifacts are indestructible, so flooding it with magma shouldnt be a problem, unless, you have another reason to not suggest magmaflooding.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:28 am »

i heard artifacts are indestructible, so flooding it with magma shouldnt be a problem, unless, you have another reason to not suggest magmaflooding.

Are you certain? I'm 90% positive I lost an artifact floodgate to magma once - though it may simply have deconstructed and gotten washed away.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:10:59 am »

Artifacts are immune to wear, and thus should be immune to magma.  One hilarious trick is to get an artifact lignite bracelet or some other craft shit, and catch it on fire outside your fort.  All thieves and monkeys will grab it, catch on fire, and die in the field.  Because it's an artifact, it will never stop burning until doused.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:15:04 am »

Are you certain? I'm 90% positive I lost an artifact floodgate to magma once - though it may simply have deconstructed and gotten washed away.
Either it wasn't an artifact or it got deconstructed.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:07 am »

If you build an artifact weapon trap with a non magma-safe mechanism, or any non magma-safe weapons, the entire thing will deconstruct.  Steel weapons preferred, obviously.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:09 am »

It was a floodgate.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:21:35 am »

It was a floodgate.
i guess the same goes with furniture: mechanism was unsafe and it got melted, deconstructing the floodgate