Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bizarre things you modded in?  (Read 2735 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bizarre things you modded in?
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »

For some inexplicable reason, I decided to mod in shutter shades and iPods, laptops and cocaine, werehipsters and ligers. Laptops are basically furniture and made at the metalsmith's forge, and can serve as basically offices, or meeting places. Shuttershades are technically armor, and ipods are just very valuable metal crafts. Cocaine is made from harvesting "Happy Leaves", a crop I modded in at processed at the farmer's workshop. Werehipsters are basically troglodytes, but were strange clothing and love to steal your booze. Ligers are pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.
So what about you guys?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre things you modded in?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »

I added a bunch of different meal types. Trail mix, shabu-shabu, pho, chile colorado, baba ghanoush, and goulash, as a few examples. I also added a merlion back in the 40d days. I also added kilts to the list of pants, so my Scottish-sounding dorfs can walk around in the proper attire.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:23 am »

This, except replace the ray with fire.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:26:14 am »

Werehipsters are basically troglodytes, but were strange clothing

*groan* :P

Some time ago I made it so that every crop that didn't have a seed-retaining, non-brewing processing option can be milled into its own kind of "flour." Imagine it as being for specialty breads. There's dried strawberry, prickleberry and fisherberry flour, copperflour from rat weed, and dwarven spice, which is dried, pulverized plump helmet. Each powder has a slightly different value according to a murky calculus involving the base crop's value and my whimsy. Admittedly, this was for a practical reason: I wanted to allow the pain-free cooking of a large variety of plants without losing their seeds. Still feel good about it though.

I wonder if adding dried strawberry powder would make tasty bread in the real world...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:00:34 am »

I... I modded in genitals, in 40d, then again sometime after 2010 was released after realizing the power of caste-based body definitions. To all creatures.

I also regularly mod in strange or unique creatures. Rock bugs and various mushroom men, cave whales, and various other strange things just for the hell of it.

I even took a list of 'cryptids' from wikipedia and created them in 40d. Haven't updated it for 2010 yet.

On the list of less strange and more awesome mods, I created quite a few various dragonoids. Not generic color-based dragons, but more along the lines of greater/emperor dragons, lesser dragons that are wild animals, feral form of standard dragons that werent supposed to be megabeasts but won't appear otherwise, a basilisk that is severely venomous, but not fire-breathing, and three species of wyvern (flying dragons with wings formed from their forelimbs); the massive mountain wyvern - a light fire breather, a horse-sized species (the most dangerous yet. also a possible mount for sieges.) that is quite vicious and active to make up for it's size and lack of firebreath , and a dwarf-sized relatively tame species that isn't particularly interesting.

Created a bunch of new hostile entities based on kobolds, tigermen, the various semi-megabeasts and trolls, and something I cooked up, all in my sig.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:29:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This, except replace the ray with fire.
Fuck yes gigas!

I want to mod Gregorio's shield, but unfortunately you can't mod movement speed.  A massive shield would be possible, but wouldn't slow a dwarf down very much.  Until that changes, I'm not modding that in.

Realistically, probably the Bacon Tree was mine.  It's a wild shrub that can be harvested with the plant gathering labor, and yields bacon, but no seeds.  You can't grow bacon fields, but you can ferment it into Bacon Vodka.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:08 am »

I always dreamed of giving beards the [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK} tags, in hopes of one day having a beard for a baron. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:19 am »

There are so many things right with this thread...

I've been toying with the idea of modding in a new metal and workshop to create it. The workshop would be an altar to Armok and the metal would be Blood Iron. Its meh for blunt weapons but holds an edge better than steel but not as good as candy.

The altar requires a barrel, anvil, warhammer and several artifacts of any sort to build and the reagents to making blood iron are a barrel of blood, 3 iron bars, a skull totem, a bar of ash, and 3 cut gems. The idea being that the "priest" places the metal on the anvil, consecrates it with the other reagents, then beats the hell out of it with the hammer. Oh yea, you need fuel or magma power too.

I wanted to have some way to make good stuff on maps where you are dependent on goblinite but didn't want to make it overpowered by making it easy to produce.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:34:12 am by Naz »
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »

Just so you know, there is a DF Modding section. I can see why you put this here, though.

I modded in insane amounts of badgers. Seriously, when they came to the fort it looked like a tornado. It was amazing. Here's the thread, if anyone wants to do the same. (I had to get help to avoid screwing this important process up.)

I also found something a while ago involving flying keys and ashes, but not in the tree sense. Confusion spawned from confusion.

Were I to delve into the world of modding DF, bizarre things would happen. I'm avoiding spending that kind of time on that, though.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »

I've modded in several new troglodyte castes.
Like web spinners, flying trainable ones, a super troglodyte that flies, breathes fire, and is immune to dragonfire, spins webs, and is trainable, and ones that lay bins and barrels.
Oh yeah, and the normal females are milkable for cave milk.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:29:21 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

I generally put [PET] on almost every animal in the game.  Including the entity-forming creatures.

I make cats lay eggs, so that catsplosions are completely controlled as long as I don't forbid any clutch of cat eggs.

I usually add lots of random lizard- or monster-based domestic animals for dwarves, since I find the usual cow/goat/etc. strange for people who live underground.  For example, large furry tatzelwurms instead of goats, and sort of dodongo-esque lizards with big shaggy manes instead of cows.  Also, giant bugs.

In 40d I had modded in a "carp dragon," an amphibious river dragon that was pretty much instant death to any fort that didn't wall itself in as soon as it appeared.

And I'm currently working on a Watership Down based total conversion mod in which every single animal will be [INTELLIGENT] and the enemy civ is weasels... and dwarfs/elves/etc. are semimegabeasts.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »

Mine are summarised here.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:07:38 am »

I've also added toy coupons.
You can exchange them for limonite at a smelter.

I'm planning to make a coupon dispenser later.
One coin results in a random coupon.
Then you can exchange that random coupon for the respective stone.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:25:24 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:44 am »

I made a thread that would have made a good repository for creature mods.

Link

And my main contribution, the Carrippoparpamus. Think of it as a combo of a Hippo and Carp (2 of the deadliest 40d creatures). I only have an experimental version for 40d however, but never got around to working on it more in-depth. If anyone is willing to volunteer, go ahead and update it to more recent versions. I'd like to see some arena battles against these things too.

Link

Remembering this bizarre thing, I guess I'm due for an avatar change.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:23:24 am by Itnetlolor »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 11:35:57 am »

Tofurkeys.  Pasty white turkey-like creatures that when butchered give plant-based tofu 'meat' and 'stuffing'.  No bones, skin, feathers, or organs, just tofu.  I haven't been able to figure out how to make the tofu go in the plant stockpile rather than the meat stockpile however, but I think it's possible with a bit more experimenting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2