Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shockwaves, loyalty, rebels, cake mixes  (Read 963 times)

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
shockwaves, loyalty, rebels, cake mixes
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »

Just a couple ideas that I cannot find.

1) Shock Waves: Having loud noises, shock waves and vibrations affect the world around them. It would allow creatures to use sound cannon attacks in the confined caves, allow for realistic explosions and the effect of vibrations against rock. It would allow for noise based creatures, such as banshees, and would allow for noise as a trait for animals (howls, roars, growls, hisses) for communication and intimidation. Shock waves can be used to calculate debris falling into fluids, vibrations for new construction destroying beasts, and explosions can allow for hazardous coal dust.

2) Loyalty: Having the loyalty of your dwarfs tracked. Dwarfs with low loyalty will split off from the main group and form their own, secret faction. They will selling secrets, steal, kill and sabotage you for either money or for someone else's loyalty. Loyalty would only be needed for the dwarf above in the chain of command; a soldier would have his loyalty calculated based on the dwarf above him (the Commander), while Commanders don't really have to be loyal to his subordinates. A bodyguard to a merchant or noble would also have a loyalty meter, and would determine how easily you could bribe them in adventure mode. It can also be used in large scale, with everyone being the subordinate of the monarch, therefor, everyone having a loyalty meter.

3) Rebels: Having a large group of dwarfs with low loyalty(moral?, trust in leadership?) will cause them to split into multiple rebel groups, grouping together based on their similar personalities, ideas and training. The rebels will be treated as their own civ, declaring war on civs and so forth. As they grow in power, other civilizations may find the rebel group more legitimate then, say, you. You have to fight them, or let them take over more of your fort. Get enough rebels in one area, or get two rebel groups with radically different background, ideas and personality, then they will start to fight each other. A more manageable alternative to tantrum spirals, as the rebel faction might not be immediately hostile towards you.

4) Cake mix recipes: This came up somewhat in other topics. Have your legendary cooks, brewers and cheese makers make, on occasion, secret concoctions/recipes. These would be unique types of food that only your chef has the recipe to. They would have unique ways to make them; for instance, having a drink made from bonemeal, fishoil and rotten croc eggs would make:

"Urist's Liven Pony Elixer: It is a strong alcoholic beverage, capable of causing blindness. It is an orange-red color, with streaks of pink. Bits of egg yolk collect at the bottom. Bits of egg shells float around. It smells of bog. It tastes of rotten meat and oak wood. It is served warm. It is a cheap drink for commoners.

The chef would be the only one to know the recipe, and will only pass it down to his apprentice. If the chef dies without an apprentice, he takes his secret with him. If the chef defects, then the new civ gets the recipe. If unions are implemented, this would get even more confusing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:03:47 pm by dwarf_sadist »
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: shockwaves, loyalty, rebels, cake mixes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:32:50 pm »

Interesting but I think he was going to do this anyways.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »

recipes could be like a cooking artifact!

this recipe is studded with raw turtle and is decorated with hanging rings of...onions(oh this game needs onions)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:18:11 am »

Food and drink megathread, look there for all things food before posting suggestions.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »

I really like the idea of rebellions, it would be nice to introduce politics into the game as a way to have FUN. The only difficulty is how to do it when you, the person they are rebelling against, is not an actor in the game.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:51 pm »

I like number 3. But just one point: A commander needs to be loyal to his men. Any capable leader is going to care about his subordinates. Also, if you're in the military, and the guy you're taking orders from is OK with selling you out then why would you be loyal to him in the first place?
Loyalty would need to work both ways.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »

great ideas i really like the rebellion idea also sockless no ones going to look through that whole thread to see if thats been suggested before
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »

Factions and guilds are planned  :-\

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:20:24 pm »

yes but no ones going to look through the whole dev page to see if there idea is there i tried i gave up after 1/3 of the page
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:07:25 pm »

Its all been suggested before.

Cooking is a broken placeholder right now, Loyalty is already modeled a bit (Has a sense of duty) which effects how well a squad leader will put subordinate soldiers on their training/patrol schedules.

Rebels, maybe. Remember this is modeling a community of less then 500 in the olden feudal dayes o' yore and there isn't so much like, communist or democratic rebellions or whatever... even today in tiny villages out in the boondocks don't have violent schisms like this, no matter how much biased media they tune into. I think rebellions should be world-genned (if a large civ is splitting up due to some schism at the time, your fort could have rebels) or the fort you are playing could succeed from the greater civ and possibly have its parent civ invade.

Civil wars back in the dayes o' yore were basically limited to what monarch they wanted to put up as a replacement for a dead one. If a monarch died without a clear successor, there would be civil war.

I don't think there should ever be enemy factions within a single fort. 200 dwarves is still a small place. Small enough to fragment from a parent civ, but probably not big enough to form factions within itself. Should be up to the player, I think.