Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows and hostiles  (Read 1186 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows and hostiles
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:10:29 pm »

So in my current fort I have finished up my arena, complete with three z-levels of seating for fans with the lowest being two levels above the pit. I want my dwarves to actually stay and watch the reigning champion, Woge the Rain of Confidence the Cyclops, throttle hapless goblins and orcs. My initial plan was to install windows around the outer edge the pit, but apparently windows wont stop my dwarves from running away.

Any suggestions for this where I would be able to get the same general function of windows and would look decent in a visualizer (hopefully stonesense will be updated to .25)?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows and hostiles
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

Heck, I just download the LNP and the stonesense included in that works fine.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »

Glass blocks look nice, and are easier to work with than windows.  Ice isn't bad either.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

If they can see the hostiles, they'll run regardless of whether there's a valid path or not. So you want something which looks transparent but isn't - glass walls or doors do nicely.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »

Try to use Linux or OSX instead of--- oh, wait

I wonder if there's a way to fix that, so that dwarves don't run. Maybe even do a bit of modding so they treat watching an enemy getting disembowelled through a window as entertainment.
The Cyclops punches the Goblin!
The Goblin is propelled away!
The Goblin slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
Urist has been amused by slaughter lately.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:52 pm »

Try to use Linux or OSX instead of--- oh, wait

I wonder if there's a way to fix that, so that dwarves don't run. Maybe even do a bit of modding so they treat watching an enemy getting disembowelled through a window as entertainment.
The Cyclops punches the Goblin!
The Goblin is propelled away!
The Goblin slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
Urist has been amused by slaughter lately.

I wish there was because on the inaugural matchup between Woge and a Goblin Bowmen, two goblin arms went flying into the topmost bleachers (5 levels up!). I can only imagine the crowd would have been going nuts if they werent running away in terror.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

[NO_FEAR] may or may not prevent them running, untested but this is what makes certain animals a pain when they ignore dwarves and keep causing job cancels, instead of running away like all other animals.  There is no way to give a good mood from watching slaughter, although if they can see it happen they'll start to gain the "does not care" attribute, making tantrums less likely.

Alternatively, private booths.  Include a bridge or a few floodgates and a locking door.  Have the dwarf pull the lever, locking themselves in while opening their view of the carnage.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:47:15 am »

[NO_FEAR] may or may not prevent them running, untested but this is what makes certain animals a pain when they ignore dwarves and keep causing job cancels, instead of running away like all other animals.  There is no way to give a good mood from watching slaughter, although if they can see it happen they'll start to gain the "does not care" attribute, making tantrums less likely.

Alternatively, private booths.  Include a bridge or a few floodgates and a locking door.  Have the dwarf pull the lever, locking themselves in while opening their view of the carnage.

Only a DF player would see the answer to the problem being to remove the dwarves' ability to know fear.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:47 am »

My dwarves wouldn't know a good thing if it's bloody stump came up and hit em in the face. I may have to look into the [NO_FEAR] tag for answers.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 01:32:10 am »

Fear is the mind killer.  It is the little death.

A proper dwarf shall know no fear.  He shall stare down a groundhog and continue on his way.  He will ignore the buzzard.  He will sit in the coliseum and enjoy a tastefully arranged statue.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 03:40:59 pm »

Fear is the mind killer.  It is the little death.

A proper dwarf shall know no fear.  He shall stare down a groundhog and continue on his way.  He will ignore the buzzard.  He will sit in the coliseum and enjoy a tastefully arranged statue.

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the supplies are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Urist'Dib, then take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the King of The Happy Stones, Urdim Zatinod. And take the most special care that you locate Urist'Dib in his place: the Fortress of Astis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born in Migrur and lived his first fifteen years there. Astis, the fortress known as Dune, is forever his place.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »

Removing eyes is the alternate (but much less satisfactory) way of making dwarves not run.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:15:00 pm »

I rather like that option though...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

I rather like that option though...
Dwarf Fortress.  The only game in the world where the preferred solution to a problem is to gouge your characters' eyes out.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »

Not gouging.  That's so uncivilized, not to mention messy.  I prefer to use syndromes that cause instant eye rot.  With ingestable syndromes being added, this will be much easier.
Pages: [1] 2