Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you kill off a fort?  (Read 2186 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Can you kill off a fort?
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »

Is it possible to kill enough people in a fortress that it becomes abandoned? I discovered a fortress with walls made of native platinum that I want to embark on, but it still has people in it. A few underprepared dwarves are no match for a fortressfull of soldiers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Can you kill off a fort?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:46 pm »

You'll have to kill them all.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:50:54 pm »

They don't respawn in my experience, at least in Fortress mode. Just give your dwarves some combat skills and weapons and let them go to town.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

If it was possible to embark on an (inhabited) human fortress killing them off would be way easy.
  • Lock front gate
  • ??????
  • Horribly mutilated and/or burned humies
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »

If it was possible to embark on an (inhabited) human fortress killing them off would be way easy.
  • Lock front gate
  • ??????
  • Horribly mutilated and/or burned humies
I'm guessing it would be more like:
1.) Embark
2.) "Oh crap I'm in the courtyard oh no the humans are swarming my dwarves oh crap oh crap hey cool my dwarves just killed the lord oh crap..."
3.) Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

They don't respawn in my experience, at least in Fortress mode. Just give your dwarves some combat skills and weapons and let them go to town.
I think they respawn in a
d
venture mode.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »

Well, since your embark is in the middle of the courtyard you could always unleash a thermonuclear catsplosion on them. It should be relatively effective if the fort is on flat ground.

Anyway, I think that when you reclaim a fortress it scatters all the inhabitants of the area. I tried to kill a demon law-giver by nuking him but when I reclaimed the fortress he and all his soldiers were outside the walls. The soldiers were also all friendly for some reason as well so it may not even be necessary to fight them. Just try reclaiming it before attempting to slaughter everyone as an adventurer, it's not like it costs you anything. (Except dwarves that is)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:00:23 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:50:14 am »

Embark on the fortress with a really deadly pet,
use Dfusion to take control over to the deadly pet for adventure mode.
use Dfmode to save switch(Esc, dfmode switch modes, save game) over to Adventure mode.
Kill the humans that rush towards your dwarven miners.
flip back to fort mode after all hostiles are killed or it's save to mine out what ever you wanted to mine.
use the prevent scatter on the fort from Dfusion to make sure the adventurer who going to carry the stuff gets it in one spot and leave.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »

While embarking on a settlement has its own issues (vanilla DF doesnt support it right now), anyone there gets a [FRIENDLY] tag if you do embark.  Civ leaders may be exempt, theres bound to be exceptions, but on the whole they become like caravan guards that just never leave.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:00 pm »

Id just get up a bunch of guys in adventure mode, go over and wipe the fortress from the face of the earth.

You can get a party of up to 18 troops, so you may be able to do it.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »

While embarking on a settlement has its own issues (vanilla DF doesnt support it right now), anyone there gets a [FRIENDLY] tag if you do embark.  Civ leaders may be exempt, theres bound to be exceptions, but on the whole they become like caravan guards that just never leave.
what nah every one except royals and famous people will be hostile and will rush in to kill your men oh you could just grab runesmith buff all your dwarves to god status and place them in the military and go on a killing spree while you have dwarves mine.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:03:50 am »

Fair enough my bad.  I havent actually embarked on a site since you could do it normally, I was sure they got a friendly tag then.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

or you could make some the same civ as you dwarfs and make a civil war

Bonus points rename leader of the local humans Castro
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.