Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Prisoners: What Should I Do With Them?  (Read 9391 times)

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Prisoners: What Should I Do With Them?
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »

Hello everyone. I have come to ask you all for assistance.
I have recently acquired a large amount of goblin prisoners, at the expense of a few dwarves. I would like to make use of the cages they are being held in, for recycling purposes.
Using my military is out of the question, due to the ambushes that gave me said goblins causing the subsequent deaths or unemployment of all but two dwarves, one of which is completely useless in combat.
If you could tell me of a simple way to eliminate these goblins, while adding a bit of flair to the execution, I would be forever grateful.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Prisoners: What Should I Do With Them?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »

Drop them into a magma pit, after stripping them of all their items.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »

I finally built my first arena yesterday after two years of playing on and off. If you can catch some sort of semi-megabeast then I highly recommend having the gobbos fight that. It's very entertaining, especially when goblinbits start flying into the stands.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:49:30 pm »

Seconding the magma pit. I had a massive obsidian tower with a little dumping mechanism on the side that would drop them into the lava moat. It was a simple drawbridge with dumping ground set on it.

You could also dump them into the underground and see if they cant kill any dangerous beasties down there.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

Disarm them then set the single remaining dwarf on them. He'll get lots of experience, and the goblins will spend more time fleeing than fighting.

Taro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »

Released a ton of caged puppies on them in an arena for guaranteed fps-death.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »

Disarm them then set the single remaining dwarf on them. He'll get lots of experience, and the goblins will spend more time fleeing than fighting.
This seems to be a good idea to me.
I'm in the process of building a large tower to drop them off of, but I could do this while I wait for the tower to be finished.
It's a shame I haven't found any magma yet.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »

I would suggest making an arena to train your militart with.

put a few cages with Goblins, either naked or with what they have already. The advantage to disarming them is that they are very unlikely to hurt your military.

However, if your dwarves are skilled enough to kill them, even if they have weapons and armor, you should leave their equipment on. Your dwarves will get more experience that way.

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

Dropping them into lava and other unusual and cruel death sentences are funny, but I prefer using them to train my military - don't waste them.

They are best suited to train hammerdwarves: give them wooden crossbows and no bolts - they WILL get a ton of experience.
Second best, training axes/swords/spears - although they tend to die quicker this way.
If you REALLY have a lot of them, use them to train your marksdwarves - although they will die really quickly to this "treatment".
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:05:27 pm »

Best way for a simple, easy way to rid yourself of useless goblins is to do all of the above.
However, combat is random. So an unarmed goblin might rip apart a legendary swordsdwarf somehow.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »

Two options.
1) Arena fighting.  Any enclosed area will work.  Remember that goblin soldiers cannot escape their cages, but a goblin thief will!  Build a cage, and then assign 5-10 goblins to this cage.  Do not assign any thieves to this cage, as they'll escape.  Strip them, link a mechanism, and let your military kill them.  A disarmed goblin is slightly weaker than the average dwarven child, so you can train up wrestling on them even.  A training axe and some leather armor will assure you're able to kill 5 goblins with 1 recruit, and get valuable skills.
2) A tall pit.  I love to build a narrow tower, and then chunk goblins off it.  The higher the better, I had a 50 level drop from my tower to the dirt, could have been deeper if I dug it down as well.  Goblin chunks fly everywhere, and the severed parts are butcherable without modded ethics.  Goblin bone bolts, goblin meat roasts, and goblin skull totems.  You can also harden your dwarves, if they witness the death first-hand, they start to "not really care about anything anymore" which makes their mood hard to change.

Beyond that, you get into complicated mazes, magma traps, flood chambers, etc.  There's more ways to kill a living being than we have the imagination for - though we sure as hell try our best to find them all.  Just keep in mind that you can transfer goblin soldiers - not thieves - between cages similar to domestic animals, so you can dump them all in one cage to free up those other cages.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 02:57:01 am »

As has been said, the pit is an ever popular method. But I also find some flair in oublietting them (Drop them in a 2-z levels deep pit with no way out, then wall it up) or the drowning chamber.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:48 am »

I understand that your military is a little fragile right now...but give him goblins one at a time till he levels a little, then feed him pairs etc.  Dump their weapons but leave them their armour unless in a hurry to get them out of the way in which case strip em naked.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:08 am »

you could also use them in logic gates and computing devices - this seems to me faster than water.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 04:12:33 am »

Goblin computer... Gobputer?
That is awesome.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: [1] 2