Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wen...di...go....  (Read 6286 times)

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Re: Wen...di...go....
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

I remember reading a wendigo myth as a child. In this variation, it was a creature of the deep woods, cursed to forever run. It ate people in it's path, and would cry out in pain from running for so long. It was as fast as the wind could blow, appeared as a tall monstrous man, and had bloody-stumps-for-feet.

Also, totally unrelated, but, I think we need Gigantopithecus in DF...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:21:35 pm by clockwork »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:47 pm »

might as well put in bigfoot its easier to spell and is the same thing
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »

I don't think "easier to spell" has ever been the primary design goal of DF. And no, they're not the same thing. Did you even read the OP?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »

7 foot tall hairy ape that throws rock kidnaps people only differnece is that one came form asia the other is all american also wahts OP?
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:43:57 pm »

Original post. The one that you're lacking relevance to, presumably.

Also, on topic: elves could have reverse-wendigos, where NOT eating combatants (do they do it as a ritual? if so, gods cursing them for not cannibalising people would make sense), or killing trees/animals, would cause the curse.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 10:44:03 pm »

I remember reading a wendigo myth as a child. In this variation, it was a creature of the deep woods, cursed to forever run. It ate people in it's path, and would cry out in pain from running for so long. It was as fast as the wind could blow, appeared as a tall monstrous man, and had bloody-stumps-for-feet.

Also, totally unrelated, but, I think we need Gigantopithecus in DF...

I remember in summer camp one night the CITs came to our cabin to read us stories, and they tried to read this one story about a Wendigo (I think it was part of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, so it's likely one of the more well-known versions). But the problem was, one of the guys in the story was named Défago, and we all thought it was pronounced "De-faggo" and me and my cabin mates (who were about 12) and the CITs (who were about 16) couldn't stop giggling immaturely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 02:41:11 am »

Since Toady One is putting in curses and "Creatures of the Night", might I suggest the much maligned Wendigo?

Given that elves are cannibals, this could make them a lot more interesting.....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:19 am »

7 foot tall hairy ape that throws rock kidnaps people only differnece is that one came form asia the other is all american also wahts OP?

I'm pretty sure Native Americans aren't from Asia. Well, maybe a very long time ago. And no, there are more differences; you'd know that if you read the first post in the thread. Or any of the rest of the thread, really.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »

Dude,

You've been playing too much WoW, haven't you?
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »

no i got hit by a car earlier no joking there :-\ also im a native and to make it easier for all you southren city folks that what i said pretty much somes it up for my tribe mostr of our monstor stories are about skin walker also know here as bear walkers that are kinda like wendigos because the do kill and eat people but only people that take gifts form them and i think they become that way after murdering or eating someone

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

So, in your local stories, they only eat people they give gifts to? Must make birthdays awkward.

I'm not from a southern city, but where are you from/what tribe are you part of?

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

Here's an interpretation of an old Pima legend (The legend of Blackpool), passed down in my family. It could easily be applied to a numerous amount of night/monstrous creatures.

There's a waterhole, in the desert, of fathomless depth. A mysterious pool of dark water. Holding in such high superstition, some would travel to see this place. Not everyone believed it was something to be feared, but many believed this water communicated with the ocean. Once, men from the tribe, saw strange monstrous animals, of man-like nature appear inside of it. Ever since, my people have avoided it, fearing the thirst of the ocean's black pool.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:45:06 pm by clockwork »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »

I'm not even sure what "southern city" refers to. Southern part of what?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »

any live south of Ohio im Chippawa(theres hundreds of ways to spell it) and i swear every person i meet south of ohio is a freaking redneck or a stuckup jackass that think im canadanian then asks if im a mountie >:( and not to derail the thread and truckman they dont give gifts on birthdays because that doesnt apply i think but there usualy loner and twetchy and they give gifts for helping and for no reason if i rember right because a good person wont take payment for good deeds or for no reason but a corrupt and or evil person will so they will eat them i think like i said i dont remeber but ill try to find out soon its we also have a few stories of goblins that are found through out the US that are a lot like boggeymen

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:20 am »

I would definately like to see the wendigo in DF but I don't see why people are stressing over what it is like. I've seen threads where people were arguing over what a DF kobold looks like and I think that this is pretty much the same thing.

I think that they should act like a race in that they congregate (not in cities but in camps). They make these camps on evil glaciers, tundra, or tiagas. They can't breed but they can act like snatchers and night creatures where they take creature of every race save there own and induct them. They will ambush your fortress or adventurer and take the bodies back to their camp to be butchered. You can be turned into one in adventurer mode. They only wear the skins of humans, elves, dwarves, kobolds, or goblins as well as bone armors and use stone short swords or wooden and bone weapons. They only have one chief which will never leave the camp and he alone inducts creatures into their tribe. He will never attack your fortress however you can kill him in adventurer mode.

After losing a number of guys to your fortress the tribe will not attack you until they reach a larger number. They will never go to war. They do not trade. Like kobolds but only sort of. I figure at this point they will all die after about year six of eratication or starvation since all they can eat is humanoid flesh.

I'm reanimationg the thread because I was thinking of posting a new thread on this.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3