Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DUST 514 = PS3 Exclusive  (Read 3150 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: DUST 514 = PS3 Exclusive
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:33 am »

It's sadly just about impossible to have a great online system with updates etc on the 360. Their patching system literally takes weeks to months to get a single update through. This is why they only have one, extremely old MMO on the console total.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »

So, will the FPS players be able to go instantly to where the action is, or will they have to deal with long trips like the ship players do?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »

I'm going to buy a PS3 for this game.

At least I'm offsetting silly people :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 01:22:21 pm »

So, will the FPS players be able to go instantly to where the action is, or will they have to deal with long trips like the ship players do?
I figure highsec is instant...   lowsec/nulsec stuff...  there is a 'time before battle starts' thing, since the defending corporation/mercenaries need to get some warning.  Once the 'dropship lands' you can insta-join it.

EDIT: I'll definitely look into this, currently doing some KZ3 at the moment.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »

I have a PS3 and play EvE. I will probably get Dust if the fees for it are payable via PLEX.

Actually, all I'd heard about Dust before E3 was that it was going to be a 360 exclusive. That and that it would tie into EVE.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Also, I'm unfamiliar with this game or type of game. Is the long trip just an abstraction or do you actually go each step of a way? If so I would love to see the FPS players waiting inside the possibly open-to-air ship like they did in part of that video, watching the world go by as they approach a battlefield.

I think I have a different idea of "entertainment" than a lot of FPS players, though.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:17 pm »

I'm actually kinda happy about this, I have a 360 (which I never play) and my PC (PC gaming master race), but all of my friends are PS3 guys. I convince them to get it and help me out and now I have 5-7 mercs that I know can play quite well and will never doublecross me.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:14:58 pm »

Hey, if they give you the option to 'lounge' around in the dropship/security room with your fellow mercs/guards...  and have cool side-games, you can do with them as you wait for the oncoming battle...   or you know, just taking a break from the firefights while still using it as a chat room.  I'm all for it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:29 pm »

what if your ...arrival ship got broadsided? (or its probably an ""not excisting ship"")
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »

snip

Long trips are not an abstraction. Just wandering the "Safe" areas (In "s because nowhere is safe. Some places just have police vengeance.) in a battleship can take an hour to go from one side to the other, and that's assuming you've fit a lot of systems to make you turn faster and therefore get into warp sooner. You can set your ship to autopilot then go watch TV, but that multiplies time spent by a lot, as the Autopilot takes a lot longer to go through each system. (It warps 15 km away from the stargate. You have to be within 2.5 km of the stargate to use it. The fastest ships in the game will go at about 600 m/s. Battleships go around 130. Manual piloting can put you on top of the stargate, ready to use it.)

If you're waiting to be transported from system to system (Most likely in an industrial ship or Freighter, as they have large cargo holds), it'll be about a minute, possibly more for one jump.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »

-snip-

Oh thank you kindly Pies. I'm sure that would get monotonous if you were hoping for a singlep layer experience, but I think having people on board your ship or being on board somebody else's ship will add a whole new dimension to this experience.

The game as a whole looks very interesting, even if I'm not a big fan of space-faring games. EVE has always attracted me though in just how much stuff is run by the players.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

I should mention that having to make trips like that only really happens if you've joined a corporation based in a region different from the one you hang out in. In general, travelling will be one or two jumps to get to a mission, or maybe roaming around your territory with some friends, looking for people to destroy, and that's more hunting than travelling.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

Use the time to make a plan of attack.  Or play poker.  One or the other.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:20 pm »

I've read at several different places that Microsoft wont allow 360 games to connect to third party servers (IE, those not owned by Microsoft); this completely prevents the entire point of Dust, so I don't think they went PS3 exclusive just because Sony offered them good terms or anything. They've also previously stated they don't want to make it a PC game since they might lose players to themselves (since EVE is a paid subscription and Dust is f2p).

Of course, if they were clever they still got whatever good terms they could get for being an exclusive.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »

They've also previously stated they don't want to make it a PC game since they might lose players to themselves (since EVE is a paid subscription and Dust is f2p).

That makes no sense whatsoever. They're completely different games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3