Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DUST 514 = PS3 Exclusive  (Read 3154 times)

WhenInRome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DUST 514 = PS3 Exclusive
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »

Interview on RPS.

I wonder what will happen when console players lose interest after so many months and EVE players can't conquer other planets, or the only EVE group that has a co-operating DUST group can conquer everything.

This. When Call of Duty: Russians are Evil, Also Nukes comes out, there will be no players on anymore. The few that still play would be working for a corp, and corps with soldiers would be like a space-age Genghis Khan.

(Also, if this brings console players to EVE and I have to see "fag" "how do i shoot?" and "omg i blew up someone and now people are shooting at me help" I swear I will quit)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »

I actually am happy about this. Why? Because despite Xbox 360 having a larger audience, I feel that it wouldn't succeed as well. You have games such as MAG on the PS3, while on the 360... yeah. Also, PS3 exclusives such as Heavy Rain and Killzone tend to be more difficult and require more maturity than Call of Duty: Stay on the Tracks 3.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 10:05:56 pm »

I still think they're absolutely mad for not releasing this on the PC.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 02:16:14 am »

I still think they're absolutely mad for not releasing this on the PC.
You aren't alone. I was looking forward to this game. Guess I can just forget all about it now ... had no idea it was PS3 only until this thread. Maybe I should have paid closer attention instead of trying to avoid spoiling it. No way I can afford a PS3 for one game, no matter how good it is.

Why, CCP? Why the sucker-punch (rhetorical)? :-\

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 04:31:55 am »

Interview on RPS.

I wonder what will happen when console players lose interest after so many months and EVE players can't conquer other planets, or the only EVE group that has a co-operating DUST group can conquer everything.

This. When Call of Duty: Russians are Evil, Also Nukes comes out, there will be no players on anymore. The few that still play would be working for a corp, and corps with soldiers would be like a space-age Genghis Khan.

(Also, if this brings console players to EVE and I have to see "fag" "how do i shoot?" and "omg i blew up someone and now people are shooting at me help" I swear I will quit)
I don't think it's that type of game. From the description of it, it looks like a fps/rts hybrid. That's the same kind of game as Savage, Empires and Allegiance. While I won't deny there are idiots in those games, they're usually elitist instead of stupid. People like you describe are typically flamed off a server before they get the time to respawn, especially as everyone hates being on the team that's blessed with a few guys who can't tell their allies from the enemy.

Edit: Updates seem indeed to be the culprit. From that article: "Dust 514 is an exclusive title for the PS3  (The developers were a little shady about a possible PC release) and CCP has also announced that their agreement with Sony opens allows the option for CCP to offer the free, and frequent, updates that EVE Online players have been enjoying.   Currently, free updates and expansions to the title are slated to be available every three months after release."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:40:54 am by Virex »

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:37 am »

I've been thinking about this and I think I may just have to buy a PS3 for this game, haven't been a big console guy before, but now...
I've played a guitar with my penis.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 08:20:27 am »

I'm no huge console guy, but EVE has always interested me and this looks interesting too.

I was planning to get a PS3 in the near future anyway, specifically for exclusives like inFAMOUS and Heavy Rain.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »

They've also previously stated they don't want to make it a PC game since they might lose players to themselves (since EVE is a paid subscription and Dust is f2p).

That makes no sense whatsoever. They're completely different games.

I don't necessarily agree with their reasoning (if anything, I think there would be great synergy in playing both), but I can kind of see where they're coming from; a lot of people flat out say they play EVE for the metagame and stories it generates rather than the gameplay (which is the standard MMO fair, more or less).

In the end, I really think Dust has amazing potential, but am not sure it will be done well; I think it could really go either way. So I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic for now.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:39 pm »

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-dust-514s-realtime-integration-with-eve-online

Decent little bit of info: it's subscription free AND the retail purchase price is basically refunded to you in the equivalent value of ISK once you're in-game. Also confirmed: planetary defenses can be deployed that attack ships in EVE proper. AWESOME.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »

I wonder if CCP's PC development plate is full with the WoD MMO, and they don't want to risk on another PC title and are just focusing on some console monies.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:42 pm »

I wonder if CCP's PC development plate is full with the WoD MMO, and they don't want to risk on another PC title and are just focusing on some console monies.

Dust is actually being done by a new CCP studio entirely in Shanghai IIRC, WoD is being done by a separate team in Georgia, and EVE itself remaisn the focus of the Iceland team with the new updates like Captain's Quarters.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:23 pm »

I've been hoping for orbital strikes since I heard about the game.

Given that it's free after the initial purchase, I'm most likely in for this. Just hope there's a bit of PvE combat too; beating up Sanshas during an Incursion would be brilliant.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 04:57:22 pm »

One of the previews I read was hunting at micro-transactions though, so YMMV

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll sub my Dust character a couple million ISK until he can make it back by selling himself to the big Nullsec corps.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 2 [3]