Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Combat strategies?  (Read 8364 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat strategies?
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 08:51:35 pm »

Back when archers were so lethal, I had a strategy of using wrestling to grab the crossbow and then take it away from them. Or just grabbing it and commence to hacking them apart with strikes.

It seemed to keep them from shooting me to death, it might work in this version, although, with target striking its probably easier to just aim for their sword arm and hopefully lop it off.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »

Bows/Crossbows seem to be pretty useless in this version, if you ask me. Last time I tried either one the enemies all moved like 5 squares for every shot I got off, and I had skills trained up to legendary. My speed was also at least 1800 or more.

If tested, I'm betting throwing pretty much anything would be more effective just because you can throw several objects in the time it takes to shoot an arrow. And throwing doesn't require a (cross)bow or specific ammo. If nothing else you can get infinite rocks off the ground almost anywhere.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »

Bows/Crossbows seem to be pretty useless in this version, if you ask me. Last time I tried either one the enemies all moved like 5 squares for every shot I got off, and I had skills trained up to legendary. My speed was also at least 1800 or more.

If tested, I'm betting throwing pretty much anything would be more effective just because you can throw several objects in the time it takes to shoot an arrow. And throwing doesn't require a (cross)bow or specific ammo. If nothing else you can get infinite rocks off the ground almost anywhere.

this is true too, I've noticed. Bandit archers are almost of least concern due to their slow rate of fire, and iffy lethality of projectiles now, the former I suspect is hardcoded. It happens when you fire a crossbow as an adventurer, you shoot at an enemy 10 tiles away and then have 2 pages of spam from them cutting you to pieces before you can act again. Which is not what happens in Dorf mode or the arena, still the traditional rapid-fire.

Throwing doesn't have this problem, but its been nerfed quite a bit. Thrown projectiles can be lethal, but it wasn't like in 40d where throwing a bolt or ballista ammo was the same as if it was fired from a masterwork crossbow or siege engine.

Lately I'm just too impatient to power-level throwing.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:54 pm »

When having difficulties actually hitting an enemy with a weapon, A few swift kicks pretty much anywhere can bruise or break enough to give you an edge, even with dabbling kicker. Kicks to the head in particular tend to be very effective.

I've probably killed more by kicking things in the head than with any weapon.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »

My miner and peasant companion and i found a bandit camp, expecting the regular 5 random human bandits, there were 7 elves, 11 goblins and, well, 5 humans, all of the same group. The miner and peasant were slain in under ten turns, a final stand was in order;

I was a speardwarf with only a silver spear, a crutch and a shield, but i killed them all save for one by stabbing and bashing them in the lower body, making them vomit and retch all over the place, and eventually giving in to pain, to then quickly bash/stab in the face. It worked suprisingly well, but the commander, last survivor, decided to cut off my arms and legs monty python black knight style and then quickly finished me off with, well, a spear to the head.

I think drilling lower bodies with an enormous corkscrew has the same effect but funnier, should test.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »

Hammermen beware! I have killed one in three hits with no help (though I had companions) while wielding a no-frills standard quality iron great axe.

Swing 1: You hack The Hammerman in the upper body, tearing apart the muscle and tearing the left lung through the rope reed fiber (I can't remember what it was, I'm just using rope reed stuff) cloak! The Hammerman is having trouble breathing!

Swing 2: The Hammerman loses hold of the rope reed fiber sock. The Hammerman loses hold of the rope reed fiber shoe. You hack The Hammerman in the left lower leg and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Swing 3: You hack The Hammerman in the head, shattering the skull, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain! The Hammerman has been knocked unconsious! The iron great axe has lodged firmly in the wound! Hammerman has been struck down.

Also, if battling enemies of ANY type, I usually pick up their weapons and armour (and occasionally clothing) to sell later. If battling goblins, I always pick up their dropped giant cave spider silk stuff. AND their weapons, but not their armour or other clothing (as it is too small).

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:46 am »

My main strategy is stealth. It is more than a little broken right now. You can sneak up to someone, bite their fingers off one by one until they drop their weapon, and get away without being seen.

even low leveled Biting also is a good method against bogeymen, since they are small enough that shaking them around in your teeth often rips off bits. They can't dodge while you're latched on, either. Just don't stand around and let yourself get surrounded while gnawing on one. Bite, shake, move.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:52 am »

I started my first serious adventure yesterday, and noticed that an iron scimitar has the tendency of scattering all enemies over a small area.

I usually tend to prolong battles a bit by adding slaps and kicks. Makes me feel like I'm actually fighting!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

UndeadLife

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

My favorite strategy? Grab an opponent with my arm or hand, choke them, strangle them, then proceed to bash their face in with my foot.  :D

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:46 pm »

I started my first serious adventure yesterday, and noticed that an iron scimitar has the tendency of scattering all enemies over a small area.

I usually tend to prolong battles a bit by adding slaps and kicks. Makes me feel like I'm actually fighting!

I mostly wait until a melee enemy is close up, then I proceed to slash or hack them to death.

As a (Cross)Bowman, I tend to stay close to my (cross)bowman companions and shoot my targets to death. I'm wondering if it's possible to make (cross)bows, arrows and bolts as lethal as in 40d.

And I see why a crossbow would take longer to reload, as you had to put your foot through the loop on the front, pull the string back, pull a bolt out of your quiver, nock the bolt on the bowstring, and finally, fire.
With a bow, it's like fumbling to pull your arrow out of your quiver (presumably back quivers), nocking the arrow with the bow held horizontally and pointed downwards, raising the bow, tilting it vertical, getting a SECURE lock on your target, and firing the damn thing.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 09:45:07 am »

My main strategy is stealth. It is more than a little broken right now. You can sneak up to someone, bite their fingers off one by one until they drop their weapon, and get away without being seen.

even low leveled Biting also is a good method against bogeymen, since they are small enough that shaking them around in your teeth often rips off bits. They can't dodge while you're latched on, either. Just don't stand around and let yourself get surrounded while gnawing on one. Bite, shake, move.

I sometimes play a ninja-style adventurer with proficient bowman/archer, proficient ambusher, and lower-skill wrestling. I tend to hide behind a tree, sneak, and shoot at my assailants. Oddly enough, when I did that, the one copper arrow I sent flying into an enemy managed to send him into 'Extreme Pain' and he later passed out from it.

Lycus

• Bay Watcher
  • Death is just another form of winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »

I have two favorite strategies. Any weapon type and shield skill that I start at 'Skilled' or higher if I'm playing Demigod. Then its pretty simple. Bash either weapon arms/hands or legs/feet or slash them when using edged weapons to promptly secure an insta-win.

But I also have two successful strategies noone has yet touched upon. Playing as an insanely skilled Thrower/Ambusher is just instant win when your not ambushed. I tend to pick bowman or crossbowman instead of throwing just for realism and to be different really.

A final strategy is to start skilled in dodging and two distinctly different types of weapon. An example is a sword and hammer user. This works because it doubles your options for attacking. The sword is good when you have a very good direct hit because you may dismember and the hammer is good for normal hits as its good at fracturing and breaking bones regularly. Thought of this strategy because of outsiders starting with a spear and knife. Try this strategy, I do really good with it. Just don't take on a dragon.
Whilst I may not be the most successful Adventurer, I have a lot of fun dying.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

I'm making the creatures of non-adventure-enabled creatures like bugbears and jawas (using Civ Forge mod) able to be played as outsiders. In the modding section, I have a thread called 'Adventure mode crafting' that I'm saying is going to let me make clothing from hunting and weapons from felled trees from forts to make wooden weapons. Easy survival once I gen a new world with those reactions.

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 12:16:00 am »

I tried adventurer mode, but can't use lots of these strategies cuz the difficulty to hit the desired body part is usually low, and I get injured by counter attacks. How the heck do you guys pull this off all the time?

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:40 am »

Macro training usually.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5