Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Combat strategies?  (Read 8360 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Combat strategies?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

I usually collect all the crappy spears, swords, etc (anything with a point or edge) that I find in lairs and such and throw them at enemies as they approach me. A thrown sword can chop off limbs. (It seems like when you throw a weapon that has multiple possible attacks one of the attacks is made at random.)

Once they get up next to me I chop off a hand, arm, foot, leg starting with whatever is easiest. If I get a leg then they are usually screwed and so I just move on to the next guy while staying out of range of the guy crawling along the ground missing a leg.

For large creatures like megabeasts I tend to just use stabbing attacks to the head or body. Being so large, it seems difficult for slashing to do much damage, and I'm pretty sure blunt attacks wouldn't be much use. Slashing limbs/heads of large creatures can work but it seems to be much more difficult than with humanoid opponents.

I tend to only do the shaking around by the throat, tearing apart the throat thing when it's just one humanoid or smaller opponent around.

Haven't tried throwing megabeast corpses but it sounds like carrying one around would severely limit your speed....

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:16 pm »

I normally use throw a megabeast as an opening gambit...
Only when i'm sick of the lack of challenge I bog my adventurer down with 2 dragons and dual-wield them: it's cool but depressingly uneffective...

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »

Picks.

Any iron/bronze mining pick you buy from any general store will be super-effective against everything. It severs hands, limbs, with terrifying regularity against lesser enemies while it constantly puts more dangerous enemies like mega/semimegabeasts/night creatures into the hurt-box with just a few random swings. Picks rock. I gen adventurers with only novice in a weapon skill so I can battle bandits/animals long enough to afford a pick. I build dwarf fortresses that mass produce *steel picks* for adventurers.

Aim for the legs, aim for the limbs and go for the head.

Also, always have a shield. The crappy copper shield you start the game with will protect you more then a full set of bluemetal plate armor.

Also, throwing is still good. The spears and bolts you pick off of bandits can soften up enemies before you close in on melee.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »

Which weapon skill gets advanced with picks? Misc Object User?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »

Which weapon skill gets advanced with picks? Misc Object User?

Mining.

They are still ridiculously effective at dabbling. So I just create an adventurer with only novice in some weapon skill, so he/she comes equipped with a weapon besides a spear, and put the rest of the points in dodging or fighter.

Misc Object User is good if you have an abandoned fort with trap components you can pick up and use, which are also super-awesome. Giant axe blades and enormous corkscrews the such.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:29 am »

Never take a shot that you have a low chance of striking with

Why? because counter attacks are magical.

Against beings who feel pain the first attack should be the one with the greatest chance of success as any damage they take is crippling. Against creatures who don't feel pain however.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:53 am »

go for the ttack with the best hit chance due to counters, throwing works as i once killed a bandit that kept dodging by throwing a sock that made him dodge off a ledge, then pummeling him.

axes are good against human sized enemies as good aginst limbs and head.
spears are good agiants megabeasts as high penetration hits vital stuff
swords are happy medium
maces and hammers are good against human sizeds.

lop stuff off, dont get bogged down, carry as many shields as possible.
also, get miners or woodcutters and carpenters for followers as they bring picks and axes to the party
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:53 pm »

Or if you feel like cheating, mod your race's bite to be as Fun as the GCS's: they can't kill you if they can't move!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »

Here's a question.

Say your main weapon gets stuck, what should be the best secondary attack be? Kicking, biting, punching, shield-bash, ect? Or take a step back and hope your weapon stays with you? What are the differences, really?

I'm sort of fond of kicking, it just seems to work, especially against me. I dunno how many critters and unarmed humanoids have kicked my brains out through my helm.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 08:11:54 pm »

I'd just twist it around in the wound. Extra bleeding and pain, plus you get your weapon back. Otherwise, if there's an opening on the head, i'll throw in a punch. It just generates a nice mental image.

Know what i'm saying?
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:38 pm »

Huh.
No wonder I die so often.
I usually play swordsman and keep slashing at upper/lower body till I get a chance to headshot.
I gotta re-think things.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 09:54:49 pm »

My common combat strategies include:

Cutting of the legs and feet. A disabled colossus is better than a colossus that's standing right in front of you. (plus it removes a few accuracy points)

If the opponent is wielding a weapon made out of nice materials, I cut off the weapon arm, take the weapon, bash the arm on his face, and cut his head.

Last, If the opponent is very formidable (Illithid Void Masters from genesis mod come to mind), run like crazy, find a slope and hide fast. You can't afford losing your mind to those monstrosities.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 04:53:23 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:20:25 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

Start out as a novice cross/bowman with some Misc Object User, throwing, and Dodging (bow for the arrows/bolts). This combo is especially lethal. Feel like impaling people from afar? Throw those arrows/rocks/coins. Want to dismember someone? Tear them apart with what ever's on hand, including theirs :P
Note: Misc Object User and Throwing are pretty easy to train, so just high armor/sheild/ambush skill is a good start up.
{Edit:Sorry my screwed up smiley bugged me}
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:02:31 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:45 pm »

I've made a recent habit of hitting people with rocks until they go unconscious, then cutting off extremities one by one until they die. Then, I use those extremities to knock more people unconscious. Rinse and repeat.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5