Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Combat strategies?  (Read 8363 times)

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat strategies?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

Hey, does dual-wielding swords give any bonuses? I always use a shield because they've saved me in the past against titans and dragons, but are there any good points about dual-wielding?

All dual wielding is good for is, as was mentioned, not losing that single turn it takes to remove a weapon (which is sometimes a big deal), and the additional attacks-of-opportunity that it adds.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »

i dual wield a spear and sword and start as a spearman because almost every bandit camp has a swordsman and i gives me a chance to put them in xtreme pain/mortal wound with a stab to the upper body before  slicing them to pieces.

oh, and there is an advantage to getting a weapon stuck in an opponent, they can no longer roll out of the way/dodge your attacks, so after getting my spear stuck in the wound, they are sitting ducks for my glorious blade.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:31 pm »

weight aside, there seem to be no complication whatsoever to wielding even 10 weapons or more... and since you potentially get AoOs with all of them, it's nice to do!
And of course, the more shields you have, the more you parry! Makes sense, no? :)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 06:00:39 pm »

as Golcondio throw anything you can.
try throwing your backpack as an opener.
spears and weapons are good.

stuck weapon step back,frees the weapon and makes them waste time.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

My method, when using an axe, which I usually use?

Go for the legs until they fall down and can't get up, and then hack off any limbs until they bleed to death, go for the head if it's open. The upper or lower body aren't ever good targest unless you have a spear or blunt weapon.
This, oh so much. Except that the lower body is a viable target, considering you can disembowel people, which often makes them nauseous. A nauseous foe is almost as much a sitting duck as a prone one, so it's worth a shot if you can't do anything else. Also, severing the lower body is an instant kill. Although not very common with medium-sized foes, i have been fortunate enough to chop bears in half as a dorf, so it happens.

However, if i feel particularly cruel and superior, i'll take it upon me to smack their asses raw with the flat side of the axe. It's good for building skill up until the pain knocks them out. Smacks to the head can obviously be fatal, and upper body strikes always carry the potential of jamming a rib through something vital (or even another rib), but if you just smack the shit out of their lower body, chances are that it'll take quite a while before they go down. As an added bonus, you get free vomit to throw at others!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:26:31 pm »

Lower body is great for a slashing weapon. Disemboweling is one of my main shots with a sword. Upper body with a sword you can stab them and get the heart or other juicy organs.
The bow is a great way to soften opponents before closing in, from stealth you can get a few shots in. For arms and legs initially I stab if they have yet to be hit as dismemberment isn't guaranteed with a slash, but with a stab you almost always chip or fracture the bone for major pain.

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »

What you do in combat depends on what you are fighting.

Humanoid Opponents(bandits,goblins,ect.): Aim to take off a limb, foot or weapon hand/arm first. If fighting large groups always be back/sidestepping as not to be surrounded, face one opponent at a time trying to cripple or open an artery. I like to circle around as there are usally some archers peppering you so you can pass by them and take them out/incapacitate. If you are a decent wrestler taking weapons away from opponents is always good. If you are fighting koblods (that manage to survive world gen) or smaller sized things, charge is nice.

Night Creatures: They dont feel pain, and Cannot suffocate. They often are very hard for newer adventures, because of their speed and high dodge. Distract with companions if possible and take off some limbs. The stun will make them eaiser to hit, If you are not doing so well its okay to back off after cutting a bit, they can die of blood loss.

FB's of any kind: Anything liquid, touch it and it dies. Giant Steel lobster, run like hell. Many will have poison secretions/blood/bites. It's risky to fight those as the syndromes will ruin your day. I tend to back off and toss crap at them untill they die. Or recruit lots of meatsheilds and let them do the work and then die from the syndromes. I've killed FB's and then laughed as their blood rotted my legs off.

There are to many creatures to get into detail, but every one has its little things. so I'll run down some of the specifics I have picked up.

Megabeasts(dragons,ect.): Sheild is important, for anything with a breath weapon really, but needed with dragons. I have had some luck with spears, their scale is pretty tough, try to stun and go for the head. BC's are very tough, bring buddy's also note that if you have a weapon of lower quality it's not doing squat vs bronze. Remember to adjust charge and charge defense. 

There are plenty more, but those are some of the things that I had trouble with.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 05:40:35 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:19:06 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 07:00:21 am »

Hitting the legs/feet should always be the first thing to do, after that, do whatever you will.
However, I recently learned an amazingly effective stratagie against all night creatures, use a slashing weapon and target their LOWER BODY. For me, it's a one hit kill against all the little cave buggers.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:54 pm »

Don't forget thrown weapons! aside from throwing bolts and arrows one by one (you get them for free when you visit bandit camps), you can and should throw anything at enemies (especially bosses) to soften them up... by "anything" i mean:
- any weapon you don't plan on using in melee (you can always collect it later if you want)
- chopped body parts (even yours, don't be shy!)
- corpses (I normally carry in my backpack a megabeast corpse that I throw as my first combat action, then retrieve at the end of the fight)
- misc. objects from lairs and fortresses
- butterflies
- rocks (possibly sharpened)

This times a thousand. Throwing can kill anything and solve any problem.
Blargh.

Zemalf

• Bay Watcher
  • Be excellent to each other
    • View Profile
    • Zemalf's Let's Play Videos and DF Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 03:49:25 pm »

For loincloth wearing wrestlers: Throw rocks until close (sharpen rocks via knapping beforehand). Grab weapon arm (wrist/elbow), take-down, lock, break. Grab throat, choke. - For variation: instead of take-down from arm, lock/break knees, step a square away and throw more rocks :)

For axedwarves, chopping the weapon hand off slows'em down nicely

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 12:30:25 am »

try hitting them on the head with something heavy if it says 'can only connect' or something like that. It can smash  the upper spine basically making them your bitch.

P.S. What's the best weapon for breaking bones without spilling blood?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 12:46:01 am »

P.S. What's the best weapon for breaking bones without spilling blood?
Dual dragon corpses  8)

Also this:
This, oh so much. Except that the lower body is a viable target, considering you can disembowel people, which often makes them nauseous.
made me smile.

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

For multiple bandits, I usually take out the leg(s)/weapon hand(s) and move on to the next guy, and worry about finishing them off later. I usually prioritize taking out archers/crossbowmen (dang lucky shots) and take out their weapon hands first. For single opponents(night creatures, animals, beasts, lone bandits) I will land a blow to the chest with whatever I am using, then take out a leg, so that they are slowed down and probably mortally wounded. This way I can just run away from them and let them die if they end up hurting me significantly.(Like that Hydra who took my arm, though I still had to come back and finish his pathetic crippled body)

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »

Slice legs, break them, do anything you can to make them change to a ground stance.

Daggers are actually pretty good for things than feel pain, but not as good as swords for things that don't.

Daggers often cause incredible pain from stabs fracturing bones and outright knock the bandits out, and they double as good throwing weapons.

Take note of your surroundings and the position of the people you're attacking too, you can run behind a tree for a moment before a large amount of troops arrive after you just fucked up that bow man that was scouting, and they'll all arrive while you're off scouting for others.

Possibly the most important part of bandit killing besides immobolizing them by hitting the legs is sneaking around and checking out WHERE THEIR RANGERS ARE.

The rangers are many, many times more dangerous to you than any other class, kill them first, clean up is very easy after that.

When facing multiple foes, aim your attacks, sometimes a hand is as good as a leg if the shot is poor, if you have a fairly accurate attack that can somewhat connect on a vital organ like the head, you may want to consider taking that up, sometimes you get lucky and one-hit them!

Doing different things opens up opportunities, if you bite someone and latch on in your next aimed attack important limbs like legs or arms become easier to hit (probably from trying to grip break or you having more control over them and their mobility).
Hello.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5