Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best wood (in real life)  (Read 2565 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Best wood (in real life)
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:10 pm »

I want to pretend that it matters what kind of wood I use.  If wood worked like it did in real life, what would be the best choices for various objects?  At the moment, I'm interested in walls, stairs, beds, and cages, but I'm interested in any recommendations. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
Re: Best wood (in real life)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »

Hickory, oak, maybe ash. Mostly trees in temperate places, I would imagine.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:32 pm »

IRL... ash, elm and yew are the best wood for bows. Since there is no elm or yew, I embark with tons of ash wood, since a -mango wood crossbow- makes absolutely no real sense at all. The underground woods like tower-caps and bloodthorn, I just don't really like using since I have no idea what the hell these materials are supposed to be.

As for furniture and the such, oak and cedar are good. Cedar is especially nice, since it is one of the lightest woods in DF. Good for shields, I guess.

Also, cedar smells good, which, IRL, is nice. All said, I only request ash wood from the liaison. That about sums up my thoughts on wood in DF.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:14 am »

As for furniture and the such, oak and cedar are good. Cedar is especially nice, since it is one of the lightest woods in DF. Good for shields, I guess.
But heavy materials are good for bashing heads in.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:29 am »

Heart Pine is nice for furniture. Its a pity you can never find a lot of it. It has a very enticing glow
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:03 am »

Wikipedia can give you some basic ideas on what each kind of wood is used for.

Oak and pine are generally good for anything. Ash is often valued for furniture, though depending on what you're caging you might want oak for its strength.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:09 am »

Yep, that's right, I forgot about that. Too used to 40d, when dwarves endlessly twisted their embedded weapons in their enemies, rather then all this biting and scratching and shield-bashing. Just pull the damn thing out and swing it at them again.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:34:27 am »

For stuff you would want hardwood for (constructions? furniture? mechanics?)... the densest stuff is probably the best. I could be wrong but that's the correlation I see.

DF has two very dense woods, glumprong and blood thorn. They also both produce unusually-colored wood, which can either be a good or bad thing.
The densest real world wood it has is maple, which is also the hardest real wood present in DF. Ash and oak aren't far behind.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:44 am »

For stuff you would want hardwood for (constructions? furniture? mechanics?)... the densest stuff is probably the best. I could be wrong but that's the correlation I see.

DF has two very dense woods, glumprong and blood thorn. They also both produce unusually-colored wood, which can either be a good or bad thing.
The densest real world wood it has is maple, which is also the hardest real wood present in DF. Ash and oak aren't far behind.

It's a real pity we don't have ironwood.  It has a density around 1200 kg/m^3 while most other woods are in the 400-600 range.

I wonder if something like saguaro wood wouldn't be good for cages.  It seems to be pretty strong and it usually comes in long ribs that would be great as bars.  In fact, I have a whole box full of little pieces of it sitting right behind me right now, which I used to measure the density and I've been trying to find out if there's anyone out there capable of duplicating my experiments to provide confirmation (or, even better, someone who can test the other material properties that could go into the raws).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:29 am »

Is bamboo a valid tree type? I know it grows as 'grass' tiles for the Panda people to eat. If it occurs as trees too, that would be an awesome cage material, as well as a neat material to construct temporary scaffolding out of.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:16:21 am »

Is bamboo a valid tree type? I know it grows as 'grass' tiles for the Panda people to eat. If it occurs as trees too, that would be an awesome cage material, as well as a neat material to construct temporary scaffolding out of.
it does not. the best you can do is to mod the bamboo to bee shrubs, collest it and mod a custom reaction to make logs of it

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:10 am »

No love for mahogany furniture?  Nice straight grain with few pockets.  Also rather durable and resistant to rot.  Plus it has that nice reddish color that just gets better with age.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 08:07:41 am »

If only South American Snakewood was in Dwarf Fortress. You can actually bend and dent metal with that stuff.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:01:03 am »

You can either have

a) Heavy shield. It's like duel wielding weapons! One axe, one mace.
b)light shield. Nothing can touch you! If your shield fails, you can dodge.

I prefer b, as you can only use one attack at a time in DF.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:51:27 am »

No love for mahogany furniture?  Nice straight grain with few pockets.  Also rather durable and resistant to rot.  Plus it has that nice reddish color that just gets better with age.

Plus it's fun to say. Mahogany. Mahogany. MAHOGANY. maHOGENY. HOGENYHOGENYHOGENY.  MAhogeny... Mahogany.
Pages: [1] 2