Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [ONLY_CUSTOM] Tag for Civs  (Read 777 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[ONLY_CUSTOM] Tag for Civs
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »

Would love to see this tag [ONLY_CUSTOM] available for Civs to restrict their reactions and workshops to the custom ones only. Would make life so much easier for a lot of the TC's out there.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: [ONLY_CUSTOM] Tag for Civs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:39:05 pm »

Out of curiosity why would we want to add this?

Would make life so much easier for a lot of the TC's out there.

Examples?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:09 am »

Out of curiosity why would we want to add this?

Because there are workshops and reactions that cannot be disabled without disabling the parent labour?

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »

Strange that it is IT000 that needed examples. Your mod is the one Im playing that made me think of the need. Anybody who wants to make a TOTAL conversion of the industry, simply cannot. I can add a new way to build Bows (needing Tendon) but I cannot disable the old reaction to creation bows (Simple example).

In your mod (great by the way), There are plenty of things that dont fit with the world that CANNOT be removed :(

Also if anyone ever wants to create a civ that uses totally different workshops/reactions, they simply cannot.

In my case I wanted to add a building ingredient to each of the regular workshops. :( Nope its fixed to one bar/block/stone/log.

Please correct me if there is actually a way around this and its just that nobody does it in their mods. (even if there is a way to hax the hardcoding)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »

Strange that it is IT000 that needed examples. Your mod is the one Im playing that made me think of the need. Anybody who wants to make a TOTAL conversion of the industry, simply cannot. I can add a new way to build Bows (needing Tendon) but I cannot disable the old reaction to creation bows (Simple example).

In your mod (great by the way), There are plenty of things that dont fit with the world that CANNOT be removed :(

Okay I see now, I must apologize, I may have come across as a little terse in my last post. I'm interested in the idea, the basic principle is a good idea. The reason why I asked for examples was because, all vanilla workshops would not be accessible to the player. This includes workshops like the Carpentry workshop, smelter, Metalsmith Forge, Mason's Workshop, and many more. I see how this could be useful, but then the modder would have to make hundreds of reactions to replace the old buildings. Which seems time consuming. And things like the metalsmith forge where you can select metals would not be possible, so it may hinder the player more then it first seems. However, I do agree with your underlying principal. Some workshops/reactions don't fit into the TC's out there.

Perhaps a [RESTRICTED_WORKSHOP:xxx] and [RESTRICTED_REACTION:yyy] this makes those workshops and reactions would not accessible to the player, but doesn't remove all of the non-custom stuff. I feel like that would be much more relaxing on my fingers.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:49 am »

The restricted idea is a great move forward.

I searched the forum for people suggesting this in the past. The other suggestion was for Toady to move EVERYTHING regarding these to the raws.

My suggestion was purely trying to find an easier solution, as I wouldn't want (and wouldn't expect) Toady to devote so much time to this problem. Id say a modder having to create hundreds of reaction is acceptable trade off for total control, and modders doing this work is better than Toady taking time off to do it.

After reading the development thread for Kobold Camp I see that disabling a single labour also doesnt work as intended.

Realising the limitations of the game for modding makes me appreciate the mods we have even more!