Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How did you learn to play DF  (Read 3310 times)

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
How did you learn to play DF
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:16:39 pm »

We all know that Dwarf Fortress has a large learning curve, ha ha, but what i want to know is how you climb this cliff. Like i Watched Cptn Ducks' videos, almost all of them, they were pretty good :) So how did you climb the massive cliff?
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn to play DF
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »

Dove in with nothing but the Wiki to guide me.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:24:20 pm »

Mostly wiki plus a couple of youtube videos.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:17 pm »

The wiki plus a bit of help from a different forum.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:26 pm »

Started playing midway through reading boatmurdered 4 years agon, learnt some stuff from that. Its been a learning curve constantly since the moment I started playing, and I'm still only just figuring out about making certain alloys, and their values, and what to do if you have no access to certain resources and stuff. Read a bit of the forum, that taught me the usefull things like mass dumping and mass building material allocation.

There's parts I deliberately avoid learning how to do. I've never bothered to learn to farm, and I've never farmed in any of my fortresses. Never deliberately set about training the military, and I've only just bothered mining adamatium.

You constantly learn to play this game!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:37 pm »

I don't remember how I heard about DF, but I learned from the DF101 threads on Reddit.  From there I used the wiki (and read Boatmurdered) and bugged people on these wonderful boards. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »

By dying over and over and over again  :D

Captain Duck has some great tutorial videos, and some other chaps as well.
The wiki is my bible.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:55 pm »

Watched some of Captain Duck's videos. Quite helpful! After i had the basics down (up till video 9 or something), i managed to flail my way to an effective fortress. Also, the wiki has proven invaluable multiple times.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:24 pm »

51cups vid and reading the wiki during homroom..I still rember the day my friend finally told me
QUIT HOGGIN THE COMPUTERS AND JUST GO PLAY THE DAMN GAME!!!!!!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

By clinging to the wiki for dear life. For the first week I think I spent more time reading it than actually playing the game.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:32 pm »

I read the wiki a lot, and just kept on trying.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »

Wiki, trial-and-error and the forums later on after I got the basics down. I played a lot of advent mode before ever seriously trying to figure out dwarf mode, since I'd never played a rouge-like before and I had little to no idea wtf I was looking at or what was going at any given moment.

First fortress I flooded with brook water after digging around in the soil for a year or so. The first real successful one was in haunted tundra (for the "fun" factor) which was actually easy, since the zombie polar bears and the such moved too slow to be dangerous to any random conscript I threw at them, it was mostly disaster free. I did a lot of newbie moves, though, like creating an enormous outdoor stockpile for junk rock and alternating between mass starvation and mass thirst due to overcorrecting issues with barrel shortages by mass producing barrels and brewing every plump helmet in the fortress. Good times.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »

I bashed my head against my keyboard for awhile, then I realized I could go look something up on youtube.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »

I just dove in after reading Boatmurdered, way back when the old 2D version was out. I didn't use a lot of what was available - for instance, I never found out about traps, and I don't think I ever made booze - but somehow that very first fort prospered through unicorn attacks, and mass starvation, and the single-tile wide hallways absolutely crammed with hundreds of cows, and the psychotic sheriff who had so many more dwarf kills than any of the wildlife, all the way until I struck eerie glowing pit and discovered that, while the bovine hordes were quite capable of stomping frogs and tentacle clowns to death, they were unfortunately still quite flammable.

Sadly, the file began to corrupt through several adventurer visits and reclaim attempts, and I stopped playing for a while. When I came back, 40d had been released, and I started learning it all over. That began with an attempt to colonize a goblin tower, (just seeing what that weird symbol on the map was) and continued with what I called a 'hobbit fort' - I'd embarked near a river, ignoring the 'stone may be hard to come by' warning, ("How hard could it really be?" I asked) and discovered aquifers for the first time. So there I was, dug into a completely soil fort, with all my pickaxes destroyed by being encased in ice after winter demonstrated that puddles could be deadly, and too stubborn to abandon. That fort didn't die - the computer did instead. And then I lost internet access for... quite a while.

Eventually, I managed to snag a copy of the latest version of 40d that was out at the time, and relearned everything on my savage badlands fort that introduced me to sieges, and yet was somehow still wildly successful. I discovered the wiki after a while during that fort, and that's when I started messing with pressure plates and pumps and levers and such.

And then the 2010 version came out, and I keep ignoring old forts to gen new worlds as updates arrive because I can't stand the thought that my eventual adventurer will never encounter eyeball grass or honey badgers or whatever. Because of this, I still haven't learned how to do things like work the military in this version - I haven't needed to, since I tend to build in silly locations where the goblins are too smart to go, and the caverns have been weird for me, with unnavigable terrain preventing any monsters from approaching me.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:56 pm »

A little Cptn Duck to understand designations and stairs, a little wiki to understand stone and metal (particularly steel), and a lot of dead dwarves.  I mean a LOT.  It was Fort #6 before I realized that doors are useful, and nearly 20 before I used burrows during ambushes.  The legacy of my learning to be a dwarf is not paved with corpses, it is stacked 5 high with dwarven dead and clogged.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4