Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre  (Read 98089 times)

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:30 pm »

I just made your animal powered watchtower and it doesn't seem to be working. I just had an elven caravan get ambushed right below two of these towers. Am I missing some required detail maybe?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »

There's a fairly small detection area, I think the science revealed it to be like 7 tiles in a cube.  The only way to detect an ambush is when they get this close, or when they fire ranged weapons.  So, if the goblin squad is "right under" then it should see them.  If the caravan is under and the goblins are a few steps off, they may not be in range yet.  You also have to be sure and use windows, not glass blocks, and I'm fairly sure that gem windows do not allow sight, but I'm not sure.  The watchtowers still aren't meant to be a cure-all surveillance, just a bit of security that's not very difficult to add.

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 01:54:08 am »

Does a 7-block cube mean I get the same range if I lower the tower windows to ground level? Also, does that mean 3 blocks in any direction from the bird?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:57 am »

I can't recall the exact range, it was 7 or 11 or such.  The original thread has more details and someone (DaVinci I think?) had perfected the detection science.  Either way, you get the same radius at any height, and it means 3 tiles away from the center.  Not incredibly large, so you need some tightly placed or strategically placed towers.  Like, remove the ramps outside except for one, and then place a tower, so that any invaders trying to change Z level will be spotted.  Adding long straight walls to "funnel" the invaders near the towers also helps.

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 02:36:28 am »

Yeah, I suppose I could read those ten pages instead of douching up this thread :/ Also, I think the ambush spawned ~10 tiles from either bird; I'm adding more towers now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:48 am »

BUMP: Added my own explanation and example of a danger room.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2011, 09:56:58 am »

It would be awesome if this would get stickied.  Vote! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »

Some special threads that seems to fit this thread well:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93256.0 - "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0 - Dwarven Childcare

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »

Re (to the OP): Your last post on this thread (which I'm not going to necro):

Hydrodynamics and Water Pressure

If water is over 7/7 water, then it is under pressure.  If it cannot path, such as it's a single 2/7 tile on top of a 7/7 layer in a sealed cistern, then it will spread as if it were on solid land, turning into 2x1/7 tiles.  Ironically, because of the positioning, the water will dance atop the water layer, moving around rapidly in some sort of pattern.

I did some fairly extensive testing with movement of inequal water levels for the purposes of creating a random repeater. This was some time ago as I'm completing a circle spiral from DF -> Minecraft -> Fallout NV -> Dredmore -> reading roguelike docs -> the DF baby training/Spartan thread, and now back to DF as a full-time hobby. (Are digressions dwarfy?)

Anyways, keep in mind that this info is around a year old. **searches** Here.

I couldn't discern any reliable pattern with water movement. There appeared to be a tendency to move in one direction from time to time when movement was confined to cardinal or diagonal movement but there was no real consistency.

tl;dr - This post is tl;dr friendly. You didn't miss much. Great thread!

***clicks on mermaid farming link***

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »

Updated for that random water repeater, now under water-related things.

I'll have to look over Specialsurprise, I saw it floating around but couldn't be bothered to read over it.  Summarize plz?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:07 am »

Specialsurprise appears to be a highly detailed ongoing scientific paper about medical knowledge compiled from what happens when dwarves fall from several stories. The project is being conducted in a very systematic manner, with the test subjects labeled and the heights recorded as well as correlations between heights dropped and types of injuries sustained.

I found this knowledge invaluable to my own specific circumstances, but if nothing else, I'm sure other people would appreciate the humor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:03 am »

I browsed over it.  The writing style is entertaining, and the data is rather well collected and compiled.

EDIT: Added Specialsurprise under "data and numbers" part.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:49:02 am by Girlinhat »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2011, 01:14:05 am »

What's the word on Dwarven Child care? Too much TV and comic book inspired madness and not enough science?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:52 am »

Not quite enough results.  I'm starting a new fort that I intend to keep for a while (unforeseen Fun withstanding) and will likely create a childcare pit in it.  Depending on results, may or may not declare validity.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:07 am »

Not quite enough results.  I'm starting a new fort that I intend to keep for a while (unforeseen Fun withstanding) and will likely create a childcare pit in it.  Depending on results, may or may not declare validity.
My! I may need to work on inventing prosthetic ears much sooner then I thought I would have to.
Remember to have the child's first cat killed by a capybera first.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9