Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homeworld 2 Complex Skirmishes - Hosting  (Read 3229 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Homeworld 2 Complex Skirmishes - Hosting
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:00 pm »

So, I decided I needed more Homeworld in my life, and came upon the Complex mod in my searches.

From what I've gleaned, it completely revolutionizes Homeworld 2's gameplay into something, well, more complex. Not necessarily more confusing, it just allows a greater expression of differant strategies.

Its been worked on since 2003, around the launch of Homeworld 2, and has a dedicated fan base.

You can download it here, though you may need to sign up for the website first.

http://complex.mastertopforum.com/1-vt27.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You'll need Homeworld 2 updated, or it won't work.

Spoiler: Info (click to show/hide)

So, I made this thread before I even myself obtained the mod(mostly due to technical difficulties) so that anyone who would be wishing to play some multiplayer this weekend would have time to download the mod, which stands at a file size of 300mb.

I'll be hosting at 6 PM GMT on Saturday, though I'll be available on Thursday and Friday to do some test games. PM me if interested in the test games.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:50:51 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homeworld 2 Complex Skirmishes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

I might have to fire up Homeworld 2 again because of this. Are you aware of any guides for this mod?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:20 pm »

You guys aware of any digital download platforms for Homeworld 2? I absolutely loved the original and Cataclysm, but held off on buying 2 at the time because of a lack of a decent computer.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:49:29 pm »

I might have to fire up Homeworld 2 again because of this. Are you aware of any guides for this mod?

http://sites.google.com/site/complexmanual/Home

I have yet to look at it, but its probably the closet thing there is to one.

http://complex.mastertopforum.com/manual-features-ships-and-subsystems-vf14.html

There's also a lot of info in and around that subforum.

You guys aware of any digital download platforms for Homeworld 2? I absolutely loved the original and Cataclysm, but held off on buying 2 at the time because of a lack of a decent computer.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, indirectly, that there isn't any. However, I'm certain you can get it off of Amazon for under 10 dollars.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:51:09 pm »

Ah, I used to play this mod all of the time. Haven't touched it in a couple of years though.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avanquest-Software-Homeworld-PC-CD/dp/B000FUED5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1232357533&sr=8-1

3 quid. Couldn't find a digital download though, but for 3 quid, I think it's too good to pass up.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:49 am »

Looks brilliant; thanks for sharing.  When I get my desktop running I'll give it a try.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:41 am »

The mod is very worth it, but last I looked it hadn't been updated in quite awhile.

Still amazing, and VERY fun in multi player as well! So many different ways to play.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:42 am »

The last time I ran this mod the races where very poorly balanced, has that been sorted out yet?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:41:35 pm »

How so? I read the manual and each side excels at different tactics.

The Hiigarans, for example, have a wide range of ships to choose from, most capable of performing multiple roles, and generally have a high tech, defensive, feel.

The Vaygr, on the other hand, have fewer ship selection to choose from, most of their ships can only counter one other, and generally suffer late game(but are still a formidable foe). To put this off, they can research improvements in storing RU, but more importantly, research improvements in their crew numbers(new system that replaces the ship limit, allowing them to raise the number of ships they can support through research). The Hiigarans have to build vulnerable stations to do this, and this is the biggest difference I've seen between the two races.

The only thing I read on the forums about it being unbalanced might be defense field frigates. Essentially, if you want to go Starcraft, the Vagyr are the Zerg, and the Hiigaran are the humans. The new race, the Keepers, I can only guess is going to be more Protoss like with gravity manipulation.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:33:47 am »

I've just checked the forums and wow, this has come a long way, lots of new stuff.

When I first played this only the masochists went with Vaygr, all the Higs had to do was drop a few defenders and then they where free to tech up early and easy to get caps. Vaygr where mainly aimed at strike craft with thier caps being much more expensive.

I think I'll give this another try.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:04 am »

Alright. I have the mod. If anyone wants to do a test game, just message me.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

*Bump*

After getting mercilessly slaughtered by the AI multiple times, I think I'm ready for multiplayer.

So anyway, I still need to do that test game. I'm not sure if we can play this through Gamestop, might have to use Hamachi. Be nice to check.  ;)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:31 am »

Alright! I'm hosting now.

Through Gamespy in the "east" lobby, game name is Bay12 Rumble and password is magma.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homeworld 2 Complex Skirmishes - Hosting
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »

I might get back into this, but I never got around to buying the game. And honestly, I love this game way to much to not buy it.
Pages: [1] 2