Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobolds v31.25  (Read 5499 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds v31.25
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »

How do you know if a world you genned has living kobolds? in the legends? but how?

Is there a way to gen a world with living kobolds as the current vanilla version?

Last world I genned that had kobolds was in v31.21, if I go back gen a world in that version, check if there are kobolds, and copy the folder to my v31.25, would I be missing something? as in bug fixes, new features, etc...

I miss the kobold thiefs.....  :'(

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds v31.25
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

The way to check to see if your world has kobolds is to check the age of your world. If your world is more than 5 years old, no kobolds :(

I wish I was joking.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »

You have to edit the raws. Kobolds starve during world gen as is, so you have to add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their creature entry.

That, or start your fortress in year 2 or something.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »

yeah, but how do you know they starve at year 4?

is there any downside to start a fortress in year 3?

December

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »

yeah, but how do you know they starve at year 4?

is there any downside to start a fortress in year 3?
Other than smaller civilizations on the map, which I think affects how civilizations interact with your fort, but I may be wrong.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »

Starting a game before 100 or so can be boring, but your mountainhomes should be complete. I don't think it directly affects which civs have access to trade/attack you, but adventure mode would be miserably boring as you'd have one site per civ and nobody would know where to find any good beasts/bandits to kill.

But editing the raws IS easy.
Jsut go to your DFdirectory/raws/objects/creaturestandard.txt and find the kobold entry (just press ctrl-f and type 'kobold')

Then after the name, caste name, and child/child name tags write in [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK]
After that the kobolds will stop starving to death during world gen. Everything else can kill them as normal, however.

To actually check for and confirm you have kobolds in a world;
During world gen, immediately before 'accepting' the world, press p or whatever the option is. this will write a group of files to your main df directory by the number of the region and year. find regionX-world_sites_and_pops.txt, open it, and search for kobolds again. If it says nothing is there, the world has no surviving kobold population. If it does list kobolds, then they still exist. Throw a party during necessary pump stack construction and get magma'd.
You can export the information from legends mode as well.

After this you can go to legends, select the 'view historical maps' or whatever, press - or + until you find the most recent map and look around until you find a civ whose name is written in kobold gibberish. Mark or remember the location and embark within/near their territory. They should be there.
I'm trying to do this as well. I'm on the last step now. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »

Playing adventurer in .25, not only I've seen kobolds in camps, but also been attacked by kobolds like by goblins, when you walk next to goblin towers. I don't believe kobolds die out completely, they are just rare.

Nevertheless, never seen a thief in fort mode since the old times.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

Ok it's this: new worldgen routine was added recently which keeps track of food at each site. As Kobolds never farm and never hunt, they die out at Year 4 unless they successfully get a stealing industry going. Most fail to do that, some get very lucky. So if you want Kobolds, either mod them so they don't need to eat/drink during worldgen or end worldgen at year 2~3. Only downside of a very early worldgen is a lower availability of resources for trade because civs don't have sites spread out yet. On the upside, you get less random history in your decorations.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:05:49 pm »

I have a world generated in 31.25 where I embarked in year 50 and have kobolds showing up.  I think it depends on the Kobolds being close enough to enough other civilizations that they can steal enough to survive.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:10 pm »

Ok it's this: new worldgen routine was added recently which keeps track of food at each site. As Kobolds never farm and never hunt, they die out at Year 4 unless they successfully get a stealing industry going. Most fail to do that, some get very lucky. So if you want Kobolds, either mod them so they don't need to eat/drink during worldgen or end worldgen at year 2~3. Only downside of a very early worldgen is a lower availability of resources for trade because civs don't have sites spread out yet. On the upside, you get less random history in your decorations.
You can also remove [BONECARN] from their creature RAWs and add [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to their entity, if, say, you want to play your own version of kobold camp or something and also have the benefit of kobold caravans.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »

You can also remove [BONECARN] from their creature RAWs and add [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to their entity, if, say, you want to play your own version of kobold camp or something and also have the benefit of kobold caravans.
I imagine that kobold caravans would have nothing to offer but mountains of random trinkets stolen from other civilizations...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »

"We've brought you our finest trade goods!"
"Hmm, why is this -troll leather loincloth- red?  It's not stolen, is it?  Say, you look kinda familiar..."

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

what's [BONECARN] for?

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »

Does [BONECARN] have some sort of adverse affect on [OUTDOOR_FARMING]?

Also, don't they have hunting/fishing as a profession? If not, would that be sufficient to save them? Would [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] also work?

Also, [INDOOR_FARMING] seems to fit more thematically to a cave dwelling species.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 03:48:07 pm »

what's [BONECARN] for?
It allows the creature to eat bones/bonemeal.  It might also add/exclude certain behaviors though, I haven't played with the raws much in a while.
Pages: [1] 2