Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 10939 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

So long as there's little risk of my fat fingers mashing 3 things at once and failing to do what I intended.

Everybody!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2011, 10:44:55 am »

All this talk of streaming live video over Bluetooth being a problem... and nobody thinks it'd make much more sense if these things were just BT-linked handhelds with their own RAM and CPU, that would process everything on their own and simply feed control data to the main console? Do you really think Nintendo would make a controller with a screen that wouldn't be able to play games itself?
Except if they added it's own RAM, CPU, and graphics processor it would cost an awful lot more. Like, hundreds of dollars per controller more to match the graphical capabilities of the console itself as well as they did.

I wonder how much processing power would already be required just to stream video, and how much more it would need to do basic 2d sprites...
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2011, 11:06:32 am »

From what I see, the controller costs about as much as a DSL, while having less screen space to worry about, and a few extra controls. Ergo, the controller itself can have about as much processing power as a DSL without a significant cost boost. It just makes sense to me.

But Nintendo remaining secretive on the matter isn't very encouraging. Each player having a personal screen would be great for lots of games. Even Scrabble. Limiting the console to working with only one of these at a time seems like a very dumb move, and an error that's highly uncharacteristic for Nintendo.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »

I'm sure Nintendo could brute-force a solution.

Alas, I don't think they want to throw time and money at the controller hard enough for this.

They want to screw over kinect quickly, not slowly.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »

From what I see, the controller costs about as much as a DSL, while having less screen space to worry about, and a few extra controls. Ergo, the controller itself can have about as much processing power as a DSL without a significant cost boost. It just makes sense to me.

But Nintendo remaining secretive on the matter isn't very encouraging. Each player having a personal screen would be great for lots of games. Even Scrabble. Limiting the console to working with only one of these at a time seems like a very dumb move, and an error that's highly uncharacteristic for Nintendo.
Again, I think they're still working out the bugs on multiple tablet controllers, and are keeping it under wraps in case it's ultimately too buggy and they're made to scrap it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2011, 03:25:13 pm »

From what I see, the controller costs about as much as a DSL

So you're saying it has a subscription fee? OH MY GODS! EVERYBODY PANIC NOW!

(None of these other things make any sense either)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

I'll just leave this here ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »

I obviously meant a DS Lite. Though I suppose it's more correctly abbreviated as NDSL.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:56 am »

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318760/e3-2011-wii-u-tablet-limited-to-one-per-console/?tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B6

Oh... apparently I missed this article. So, straight from the horses mouth, they don't really see it going past one controller, maybe two if you bring it to a friends house? This makes me incredibly sad...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2011, 10:46:32 am »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2011, 11:54:17 am »

Single fancy controller confirmed.
 :-\

Well, hmph.  :-\

I guess there is one upside - that article confirms 1 Wii U controller + 4 Wiimotes, which suggests the potential for 5-player games. Maybe.

Still, it means any kind of local multiplayer game on the Wii U will either have to ignore the new controller, or be asymmetric (the Wii U user has to have a different role than the Wiimote users). Which means it's likely to degenerate into gimmick systems.  :(

...On the plus side, if Nintendo gets around to rolling out a competent online system, you could obviously have remote multiplayer games where everybody has their own Wii U controller. Sure, it loses a bit of its purpose when you've all got separate TVs anyways, but still...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »

Well that makes the console's whole gimmick completely pointless.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »

Well thank god most of us are PC gamers, right?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »

I'm more of a handheld gamer.
Except my Ds is broken and the PSP is...ok I guess?
Everybody!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:15 pm »

Well thank god most of us are PC gamers, right?
I also play both PC games as well as XBox 360 games.

More and more games are requiring windows Vista or 7, and Windows 7 is bloody expensive, and I refuse to pirate it (people keep suggesting it for some strange reason). 8 will come out sometime, but it might turn out to not even be viable as a gaming platform (so far it looks like it might be incompatible with applications that weren't written for it).

So I end up considering buying things for the 360 instead of for my far more powerful PC, because it's cheaper than buying windows 7 in addition to the game or games in question. The first game I decided to do that for was Battlefield 3, but then it was Punkbuster that decided the point, not Windows 7.

Of course, I own Just Cause 2 on steam (Came free with my video card), and can't play it because I don't have Windows 7. But eh.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11