Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 10956 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »

I remember having a relative who's Wiimote went into a wall. No, not bumped into a wall, WENT into a wall. It was completely unharmed.

But yeah I'm cautiously optimistic too. I've been liking consoles less and less lately.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

I turned on the TV just in time to see the presentation of this on the 'please buy our channel' channel about an hour ago, and they promised all sorts of games would be using this technology. Batman: Arkham City sticks out most in my mind. They will probably be relatively pointless, though.

One thing that seemed interesting is that one of the developer CEOs they interviewed for their commercial claimed he could play his Wii while in bed. And the idea of two people playing games at the same time without bothering each other was initially nonsensical to me, until I remembered all those families where the siblings fight over console use.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »

Oh holy nuts you're right, 6.2 inch touch screen (I'm guessing measured wide).

All screens are measured along their diagonal. That is the standard way of giving a screen's size.

Anyway, I think the new console looks very promising. The touch-screen capabilities look like they're not integral to the controls; you have more than enough input in the buttons to make do with without using it as anything other than a screen. And as for Fikes, it won't block the whole screen because the screen is still your TV.

More than likely, the screen will be used to pull HUD information off of the TV and make inventory management easier in games like Zelda. It really shows a lot of promising potential in my opinion, and after the Microsoft presentation, It's really hard to dismiss it as being gimmicky. It seems almost like a console version of the DS with graphical capabilities beyond the PS3.
!!&!!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »

"Posted 9:52 PDT
The controller also has a speaker on it.

Posted 9:52 PDT
The device is designed to appeal to all users, especially traditional gamers, who will appreciate the twin 3D pads, D-pad, two shoulder buttons, twin triggers, microphones, accelerometer, camera, and gyroscope."

Does it also include A toaster, a grater, internet access, facebook and twitter apps, a telescope, a microscope, a screen for 2D,3D, 4D,5D, A DVD player and Itunes?  :P
Blargh.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:29 pm »

One thing that seemed interesting is that one of the developer CEOs they interviewed for their commercial claimed he could play his Wii while in bed. And the idea of two people playing games at the same time without bothering each other was initially nonsensical to me, until I remembered all those families where the siblings fight over console use.

I still don't fully understand how that works. Does it only work in multiplayer? Does the Wii U act as a server to host multiple concurrent instances of the game, sent to the controller? Only time will tell.

Oh holy nuts you're right, 6.2 inch touch screen (I'm guessing measured wide).

All screens are measured along their diagonal. That is the standard way of giving a screen's size.is still your TV.

News to me. Thanks for letting me know.

Also, I REALLY hope Nintendo won't be as rigorously anti-homebrew this time. Really, really hope so. :(

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

Also, I said it out loud and it's the onomatopoeia for a siren. :U

Weeeeeoooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooo

Or the thing you see when someone drops a "silent but deadly".
I got nothing

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

I hate touch screens, but that is probably because I am terrible with them. Stupid fat fingers.

I think I saw someone using a stylus, and I don't mind using touch screens with a stylus. Fingers are just awful for touch screens, even if they are kinda skinny like mine. If you could hook this think up to your computer and use it like a tablet that would be pretty neat too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »

If you could hook this think up to your computer and use it like a tablet that would be pretty neat too.

If this isn't supported officially, I predict somebody will get it working within a month of release.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »

Soon after this is released we will see reports of this thing dropping off the Empire State Building unharmed. You know it's true. Nintendo's controllers have gotten inexplicably more unbreakable over the years.

More unbreakable?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was Desert Storm.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 01:25:04 pm »

Soon after this is released we will see reports of this thing dropping off the Empire State Building unharmed. You know it's true. Nintendo's controllers have gotten inexplicably more unbreakable over the years.

More unbreakable?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was Desert Storm.

I've seen that, in real life, you know the place. It was amazing.

What I mean is the same thing will happen to this and it probably will still be perfectly white, as well as in tact.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:43 pm »

Eh, more gimmicks, less gaming.
I'm tired of games where you fight with the controls, instead of the difficulties the game throws at you.

*shurg*
I know two Nintendo addicts, so I can always test the console at their place.
And should we manage to form a flat share, during university, I won't even need to buy it.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:20 pm »

Guys, a controller which can act as an almost-independant handheld console is a bit more than a simple gimmick.

I'm just saying.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »

Jesus, just call it Twii and be done with it!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »

Guys, a controller which can act as an almost-independant handheld console is a bit more than a simple gimmick.

I'm just saying.

We don't know to what extent it can do this, though.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 01:35:07 pm »

I'm just saying.
I'm sure that comes with restrictions.
And I doubt every game will support this feature.

I just hoped we would get something with a more classic controller, like in the good old days.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11