Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Elven Retreat: ideas for elf gameplay  (Read 8232 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Retreat: ideas for elf gameplay
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:41 am »

or theres whatever comes first also for any one new to df heres the food chain
         carp>human>elf>dwarf>carp>magma>water>dwarf>elpahant>big ass magma cannon>circus>cavein
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:31 am »

It'd take a lot to get the minerals and water and such all the way up a tall tree, right?

So, the maximum size of a tree would depend on the health of the surrounding area.

Sounds good. So:

More leaves + more roots = more sap flow = bigger tree

Health of the soil affects health of the roots and health of the air affects health of the leaves. Air polution actually could be a problem in medieval times, doubly so if dwarfs are around. Also evil magic could make the air less healthy, and good magic could make it more healthy.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:29 am »

Air polution actually could be a problem in medieval times, doubly so if dwarfs are around.
Are you kidding me? It will be a problem if dwarves are around! Think of the mining dust, the smoke from burning wood or smelting ores, and the forgotten beast (and other Fun stuff) extracts and weapons!

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:02 am »

Are you kidding me? It will be a problem if dwarves are around!
Well yeah. I was thinking about the massive forges you'll need once you start arming the hill dwarfs. And doesn't the game already have some sense of prevailing winds? The rain shadows suggest so. You could strike the earth upwind of the elves on purpose and burn every tree you can find and all you can import, doubling the offence when they choke on the smoke.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:14 am »

Well yeah. I was thinking about the massive forges you'll need once you start arming the hill dwarfs. And doesn't the game already have some sense of prevailing winds? The rain shadows suggest so. You could strike the earth upwind of the elves on purpose and burn every tree you can find and all you can import, doubling the offence when they choke on the smoke.
Well i think forests are supposed to burn periodically in many biomes, and once it's the natural way of things elves shouldn't be that opposed to it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 09:18:18 am »

Well i think forests are supposed to burn periodically in many biomes, and once it's the natural way of things elves shouldn't be that opposed to it.

Elves aren't just for the 'natural' way of things. They are pro-tree, not pro-nature. They live in a Disney version of nature.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »

what death to all MMMMmmm
sorry writer above is currently being mugged by 101 dalmations and snowwhite

yes disney elvesare there even elves in  any disney thing? are very treeish and would burn and kill everything to protect one tree
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:24 pm »

Elves aren't just for the 'natural' way of things. They are pro-tree, not pro-nature. They live in a Disney version of nature.

So... they also like to forcibly toss lemmings off of cliffs?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:31 pm »

So... they also like to forcibly toss lemmings off of cliffs?

Yessiree, if it'll help fertilise the ground for some more trees!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]