Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Elven Retreat: ideas for elf gameplay  (Read 8251 times)

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Retreat: ideas for elf gameplay
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:39 am »

You could always do a modified cave adaptation. Make it especially life threatening for the pointy eared gits.

I like this, but in addition to making other races worse at mining than dwarfs. Except possibly goblins as there is a lot of digging in their mythology.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

what jobs would the elves have? what resources would they need to do each of those jobs?

all farming/hunting/fishing i think would be good, as well as pottery, and wood crafting-so theyd need a way to get wood without cutting trees-so something like a wood-harvester, also need a wood-grower(maybe separate it into trunk-grower/fruit-grower/flower-grower/root-grower/branch-grower)...so...6 special jobs all which would require water and/or seeds(maybe clay?)

yes, i answered my own questions, just brainstorming.

also...fertilizing could come into play?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »

elfy treehumper fertilizes growing tree with ☼elf shit☼ the tree grows miles high! elfy treehumper is impaled by a branch!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 11:04:13 pm »

This is so nice

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 02:02:31 am »

We could have it so that the tree grows branches and you can control vaguely where the branches go. The tree could also grow several different types of food, and maybe have an underground component in the roots.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:05 am »

We could have it so that the tree grows branches and you can control vaguely where the branches go.

My idea is that you create branches in the same way as dwarves create tunnels. They can be of any shape you want.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:19 am »

There could be diseases and pests that will always threaten your trees. If sufficiently damaged an entire tree could collapse, killing everyone inside.

And you couldn't grow much that was useful during cold periods. These periods would also make branches brittle and capable of collapsing when carrying a lot of weight... such as elves.

Yeah, I think I like those rules.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 05:02:23 am »

what jobs would the elves have? what resources would they need to do each of those jobs?

all farming/hunting/fishing i think would be good, as well as pottery, and wood crafting-so theyd need a way to get wood without cutting trees-so something like a wood-harvester, also need a wood-grower(maybe separate it into trunk-grower/fruit-grower/flower-grower/root-grower/branch-grower)...so...6 special jobs all which would require water and/or seeds(maybe clay?)

yes, i answered my own questions, just brainstorming.

also...fertilizing could come into play?
df elves do not hunt as their ethics forbids killing animals except in self-defense. Fishing is forbidden too i think. They definitely should have some elven woodoo to harvest logs without killing trees, they can also gather plants and farm. When fruits and tree-browsing is introduced, elves and elehants will have easier time getting food.
Looking at ThreeToe's stories, one could conclude elves should have the ability to shape tree branches and leaves as easily as we move our fingers, so wood shaping maybe their equivalent of crafting and masonry.
I think fertilizing with -elf shit- is a good option, but apart from shit i don't think they'll need any resources.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:38 am »

df elves do not hunt as their ethics forbids killing animals except in self-defense. Fishing is forbidden too i think. They definitely should have some elven woodoo to harvest logs without killing trees, they can also gather plants and farm. When fruits and tree-browsing is introduced, elves and elehants will have easier time getting food.
Looking at ThreeToe's stories, one could conclude elves should have the ability to shape tree branches and leaves as easily as we move our fingers, so wood shaping maybe their equivalent of crafting and masonry.
I think fertilizing with -elf shit- is a good option, but apart from shit i don't think they'll need any resources.
Not sure if eating fish should be forbidden or not. A lot of religiously vegetarian groups through history have eaten fish, so it could go either way. No magic is required to harvest a log without killing a tree. They just need to be coppiced, cutting them about a metre above the ground. But maybe there is an elfier way to do it. For tree shaping inspiration, take a look at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_Shaping.

I reckon, just as dwarves have some made up plants that grow underground, elves should get some that grow on tree branches as symbionts. That would allow multiple foods to be grown in the branches of a single tree without having one species produce multiple fruits. They could also have some use for mistletoe, like perhaps the berries are not poisonous to them and they use them as a spice? Moss and ivy could also have uses to elves and lichen can be used to make vodka.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:27 am »

You know how elves have druids, right?
Well, couldn't druids use magic to magically grow the tree and shape it? It wouldn't be out of the question.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:36 am »

well there is a druid skill so toady might as well use it for all this tree growing elf crap
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Suddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 03:55:27 pm »

I like this idea even if it cause this thing to happen in world generation so you can embark (as a dwarf) next to a giant elf tree and chop it down.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »

Timber! but i feel sorry for your fps there be a cave in the size of the map landing on your dorfs

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 07:08:11 pm »

Since trees could grow to adjacent tiles through magic/shaping, elven 'masons' could be told to build in a similar manner to the dwarves, but they would have to connect to the main part of the tree at some point.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Reminds me of this: http://hubpages.com/hub/Botanical-Engineering
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4