Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boxing Ball of Flesh  (Read 2597 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Boxing Ball of Flesh
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:08 am »

Just passing on a little experience here.
So I'm doing a Survive-on-glacier-with-no-caravans-fort and I therefore have very little in the way of weapons, but after breaching the caves it became necessary to send the newborn militia in to take care of some fleshballs who were scaring away fisherdwarves with their threatening displays of roundness.

I send in an unarmed militia captain and forget all about him (he's punching away unable to kill the creature since he has no edged weapon handy) until a combat report ticks in about how he has finally managed to stab the damn thing to death with a discarded bolt. Meanwhile my raw recruit has become a legendary wrestler and fighter (along with very respectable levels in kicker, biter, striker and doger). I'm planning to capture a few of these and set up a room for my new boxing champions.

In short: they're small, tough and safe. Perfect for practice?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Ball of Flesh
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:54:33 am »

I wonder if this could be used to train hammers as well.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:58:53 am »

Hmm, I didn't think of that. Since it was seemingly indestructible without something to pierce the skin, I guess it's possible. But even if it can be killed with blunt force I'm thinking that assigning adamantine training hammers to a group of recruits might still work.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:08:25 am »

According to the wiki, they are pretty safe against hammers.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:17:42 am »

I take it they're safe for archery and siege engine practice as well?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:22:36 am »

I've used flesh balls as target practice before, that's how my militia captain became legendary hammerdwarf and fighter.
Eventually the thing will die of bleeding by skin being ripped off and whatnot, but it can take a whole lot of blunt trauma.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:25:03 am »

I'm pretty sure they can die from bolts and other pointy things, but I guess rocks count as blunt damage, right?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

If it's pointy, its lethal. Ballistae and archers will tear arteries.

Catapults on the other hand...

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:25 am »

Ah sorry for the brainfart. I forgot bolts do inflict piercing damage, must've gotten some wires crossed when I recalled platinum being the best bolt material.

Might also be good for training Misc. Object User as well, just in case the swordsdorf decides go Captain America.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:34 am »

Gee, thanks. Because of you, I'm now thinking of launching a cave-blob from a catapult. A nice blob of blisters.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:28 am »

Gee, thanks. Because of you, I'm now thinking of launching a cave-blob from a catapult. A nice blob of blisters.
Unfortunately, only rocks can be fired. But you can use a ballista to destroy the door to the Blob chamber  ;D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »

Wouldn't biting and scratching, both edge attacks from an unarmed dwarf, be a problem ?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:04 pm »

Wouldn't biting and scratching, both edge attacks from an unarmed dwarf, be a problem ?
Not for a while.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »

Because the ball of flesh is just a big blob, they wouldn't be able to do enough damage to kill it quickly.  There is no head to tear off, and there are no arteries to open up.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:07:02 pm »

This is as close as you can get to perfect punching bag, so deal with it  :P
Pages: [1] 2