Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I REALLY need some good free roguelikes.  (Read 6442 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
I REALLY need some good free roguelikes.
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:17 am »

Dwarf Fortress is good and all, but sometimes you just get sick of playing the same game all the time, yeah?

So, anyone got some good FREE roguelikes?

Survival roguelikes would be preferred.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I REALLY need some good free roguelikes.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:22:38 am »

Try Unreal World for a survival roguelike. It's shareware, though.

Most roguelikes are free though. Off the top of my head:

-Nethack
-Angband (ZAngband, ToME, Portralis)
-Triangle Wizard
-IVAN
-Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34943.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73201.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83097.0

dangit astral

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:24:19 am »

Well, there's also this (from the Free Games List thread):

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhZ2bGNb4RZIdE5JTEs4b2xyNmllNnNRTWR1NzlCVXc&hl=en&authkey=CNScwJoF#gid=2

Lots more where those came from, I just listed some of the good ones I had personally played  :P
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:35:07 am »

Slash 'Em

It's a Nethack mod.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:21 am »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:45:51 am »

Unreal World is great, sunk so many hours into that game (usually only to die of something like food poisoning)... It's only 3$ for a current version so go buy it.

ps. It takes place in Iron age pseudo-Finland. Need I say more.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:04 am »

DoomRL is quite a good 10-minute/coffee break roguelike. It takes 10-30 minutes to finish a single game, it's quite challenging and has medals, which are like achievements, but better. They basically start off at bronze and go all the way up to diamond, diamond medals being insanely difficult, you'll probably only ever manage to pull off one or two in a lifetime.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »

You should look up Incursion:  Halls of the Goblin King.  It's basically 3.5e D&D transcribed into roguelike format.  Bit buggy, though.  The one that sticks out in my mind most is that you should NEVER use Detonate's default targeting - always manual, or else crash.  Otherwise, though, it's a spell that makes stuff explode.  Door locked?  Detonate.  Enemy next to that statue?  Detonate.

IVAN is Fun.  I think the more up-to-date version is called LIVAN.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:10:52 pm »

Really into stone soup right now, and as far as I am concerned, that shit is a survival game right there...

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:45 pm »

You might try "vicious orcs" and "smart kobolds" there : http://www.zincland.com/
These are some short but curious roguelikes.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

You should look up Incursion:  Halls of the Goblin King.  It's basically 3.5e D&D transcribed into roguelike format.  Bit buggy, though.  The one that sticks out in my mind most is that you should NEVER use Detonate's default targeting - always manual, or else crash.  Otherwise, though, it's a spell that makes stuff explode.  Door locked?  Detonate.  Enemy next to that statue?  Detonate.

IVAN is Fun.  I think the more up-to-date version is called LIVAN.

Incursion is fucking amazing.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »

I don't think anyone's mentioned Xenocide yet. It's fairly obscure, woefully unfinished, and no longer in development, but still quite interesting. There aren't enough futuristic roguelikes in general, and this one has sound and some nifty level design.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

I'll put a vote in for Stone Soup. Unfortunately survival in that game is more about when and where the RNG will fuck you, and a lot of people's survival strategies come down to class/race specific choices, and execution things like dancing around pillars, ect....Walking into a game of Stone Soup with no knowledge or game plan....you will die horribly in a lot of ways you have almost no control over.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2