Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Watercloistered - Island Volcano succession (.31.25) (Needs moar overseers)  (Read 28070 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok functioning.

So we have a depressed Mayor and the military needs work? Anything Else I should know?

Ok. Forces of Hell down below, Gotcha.

What should I know about them? Anything dangerous? Firebrutes, Mosquito demons, and Salt specters?

EDIT: Wait a minute... The Cavern bridges are already down?! The entrance-way is walled up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:47:15 pm by druid91 »
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile

Ok functioning.

So we have a depressed Mayor and the military needs work? Anything Else I should know?

Ok. Forces of Hell down below, Gotcha.

What should I know about them? Anything dangerous? Firebrutes, Mosquito demons, and Salt specters?

Read the posts on Page 13 and maybe 12 for details.
Here's info on the demons, from Best-Case Scenario, to Doomsday if you were to open the Hellgate.

Best-Case Scenario: You see demons rushing in, and you freak out, shutting the gate immediately.

Not-So-Good Scenario: Same as above, but a Fire Brute comes in at the last second. Fire Brutes are not that powerful and cannot deal any form of physical damage to creatures. BUT! They set anything they touch on fire, if possible. All their attacks phase through you, and a long string of attacks can reduce a dwarf to ashes in minutes. Isolate him and if possible, drown him or execute him with snipers. He has no ranged attacks.

Bad Scenario: Same as the first, but an Imp or Mosquito Demon gets in. You need to IMMEDIATELY lockdown the lower levels. Imps can throw fireballs, and Mosquito Demons and other demons like Gray Wraiths deal insane amounts of damage unarmed. A Champion would have a run for his money. Our ragtag excuse for a militia would be slaughtered by one, but not before you are able to evacuate the dwarves.

Doomsday: You open the door, and demons rush in so fast, and your dwarves are idiots, and are partying when they should be working and don't close the door fast enough. EVERYONE nearby will be pronounced deceased in under 5 minutes. Most are building destroyers and have fireballs, poisons, and insane melee damage. And they all can fly. Again, our ragtag militia hasn't a snowball's chance in... (excuse the pun.) If this happens, just reload the save once you're done watching the bloody mess.

Malle and Goukaryuujin are chosen ones. Don't let them die. Little Malle is to train as a macedwarf as soon as she can work. Goukaryuujin's spirit possesses a bone carver with skill as a crossbowman. He's going to train to be a first-rate marksman.

Make sure the noble system gets fixed, the electrum road is finished, and that we don't die. Food and metals are alright. We have a steady stream of stuff coming in. If we can reclaim the caverns, we'll have almost unlimited gold. Not kidding. Good luck, Druid!
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok. So Plan Ash cloaks shall commence.

10th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn.

In light of the Demonic Threat from Belowtm I, Zuntir Mafoldatan, Have been promoted to Commisar. And my task is to turn out a great enough Army, Or at least the beginning of one, as well as plan the eventual retaking of The lower Caverns from the hellspawn.

Some have said this is impossible, Some have said I'm crazy even to bother.

To them I say "HERESY!" We can and we will beat the Hellspawn Back, I will either see this done or Die trying.

First I am preparing an Ambushing Tunnel to funnel Demons into,

Then While working on this, I realised that with training The miners could make excellent Front line fighters against those Demons susceptible to fleshy wounds. However I'm going to Train both them and our more traditional Combat Troops. The number we have is nowhere near enough to start the plan. though...

So, I stole one of the miners to use as a voice, but for now they are still mining, get that pick skill up. But at the same time I'm going to Make and Train Mace, Sword, and Marksdwarves. I'm currently debating whether to throw everything at the Caverns or save the Miners for Purely surface dangers due to there being no gaurantee that a pick will hurt the demons. What do you guys think?

Also the red X are going to be fotifications.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:22:53 pm by druid91 »
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are GRAVELY underestimating them. Our numbers are limited. Theirs are unlimited. The ones floating in the caverns are small-fry. They might have hundreds waiting for you in the Pit itself. Open up a path to the fortress, you might bite off moar than you can chew. And miners with no fighting experience cannot kill demons. Maybe Brine Monsters, but they aren't even legit demons. They just live in Hell.

Train an elite squad, give them the best armor you got, outfit them with the best weapons you have, have them backed up by a squad of archers, have traps and siege engines ready, and say a few prayers to the local deities. Oh, and get lucky. Look at the "R"eports to see just how viciously and quickly they fight.

If you plan to imprison them, do it right. A demon jailbreak isn't easy to stop...
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are GRAVELY underestimating them. Our numbers are limited. Theirs are unlimited. The ones floating in the caverns are small-fry. They might have hundreds waiting for you in the Pit itself. Open up a path to the fortress, you might bite off moar than you can chew. And miners with no fighting experience cannot kill demons. Maybe Brine Monsters, but they aren't even legit demons. They just live in Hell.

Train an elite squad, give them the best armor you got, outfit them with the best weapons you have, have them backed up by a squad of archers, have traps and siege engines ready, and say a few prayers to the local deities. Oh, and get lucky. Look at the "R"eports to see just how viciously and quickly they fight.

If you plan to imprison them, do it right. A demon jailbreak isn't easy to stop...

Actually I'm planning on building a manned Airlock.

After that Rigging up a couple of Atom-smashers. The killing ground will run Rainbow with Demonic blood before I even consider sending the Troops in. The troops are just there to gaurd against things in the caverns while I send a pair of Masons to patch up the hole.

I am by no means underestimating them. IF Anything I'm Overestimating them, as plan A was figure out some way to Obsidianize the Tunnels in order to come at it from a different Angle.... THAT'S IT! I'll come at the Pillar from another Angle and Seal it off. Sealing off Hell Then All we have to do is Clear the Caverns.

As it stands the Plan is to Seal off the Hole in the Adamantine. And I Fully expect Most of the Military to be obliterated doing it.

However I'll keep the Chosen ones away from the demons.

Also Give Miners a pick for their weapon and they will kill everything. Mining is a combat skill, just need some military training to polish them off.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I'm planning on building a manned Airlock.

After that Rigging up a couple of Atom-smashers. The killing ground will run Rainbow with Demonic blood before I even consider sending the Troops in. The troops are just there to gaurd against things in the caverns while I send a pair of Masons to patch up the hole.

I am by no means underestimating them. IF Anything I'm Overestimating them, as plan A was figure out some way to Obsidianize the Tunnels in order to come at it from a different Angle.... THAT'S IT! I'll come at the Pillar from another Angle and Seal it off. Sealing off Hell Then All we have to do is Clear the Caverns.

As it stands the Plan is to Seal off the Hole in the Adamantine. And I Fully expect Most of the Military to be obliterated doing it.

However I'll keep the Chosen ones away from the demons.

Also Give Miners a pick for their weapon and they will kill everything. Mining is a combat skill, just need some military training to polish them off.

They are effectively immune to traps and atom smashers due to their size and the [TRAPAVOID] tag. Best plan is for us to look up demon weaknesses on the forums. Here's all the info on anti-demon tactics on DFwiki. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Demon#Strategy

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And "everything in the caverns" is the demons. Everything else was slain by the demons. The caves are full of burned plants, blood, and demons. Don't send anyone in for offence unless you don't plan on having them come back for ahwile, or at all. Demons might cause a plague with their poison, and cause massive Fun. Set up a small hospital down there and forbid civilians from it. If anyone catches disease, cure 'em or kill 'em. If it's something like organ necrosis, screw it, isolate them and let them pass away. Declare anywhere you fight venomous demons unlcean. One infection's all it takes for it to all end. Poisons get in water, blood, dust, mud, anything. Get a hospital built ASAP if you plan on using soldiers at all.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, Billy, queue me up for spot 16 after Goukaryuujin. I promise I won't take up as much time as before. lol

Also, I hope Druid91 posts soon, I want to see the Second Demonic Siege of Areloddom!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry about this but I was suddenly struck with a ton of work that needed to be done at work, I'll try to get my turn done in the next day or so now that I'm free for a while.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry about this but I was suddenly struck with a ton of work that needed to be done at work, I'll try to get my turn done in the next day or so now that I'm free for a while.

Hurray! Can't wait to see it!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So in the process of beginning the grand crusade against the demons below... I have been informed that a frontal soldier based assault would at current be suicidal.

I almost strangled the blighter that said it but he quickly added an alternate plan.

OPERATION: plug

Well while we have quite a mess in the caverns below, the more important factor is the breach in the adamantine pillar that could allow more demons to simply stream out and crush us. The proposed plan is to send a mason through sealing the tunnel behind him in order to shut the breach. Then we can figure out how to clear the caverns of the underspawn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: So since this is quite obviously a suicide mission who do you guys think we should send?

In other, non-demon related and therefor infinitely less interesting, A pump operator gave birth to a boy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:46:00 pm by druid91 »

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So in the process of beginning the grand crusade against the demons below... I have been informed that a frontal soldier based assault would at current be suicidal.

I almost strangled the blighter that said it but he quickly added an alternate plan.

OPERATION: plug

Well while we have quite a mess in the caverns below, the more important factor is the breach in the adamantine pillar that could allow more demons to simply stream out and crush us. The proposed plan is to send a mason through sealing the tunnel behind him in order to shut the breach. Then we can figure out how to clear the caverns of the underspawn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: So since this is quite obviously a suicide mission who do you guys think we should send?

In other, non-demon related and therefor infinitely less interesting, A pump operator gave birth to a boy.

I say that reclaiming the caverns is of maximum importance. The ores in there are of maximum importance. But getting everyone killed is a bad idea. Sending a single mason isn't a good idea. The Hellgate is sprawling with demons, inside and out. Your best shot would be to cause a huge cavein and kill them all. Or bait them and cause strategic cave-ins.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? I didn't see many when I checked around the vein of Adamantine, In any case the plan was changed to make a sealed evil in a can after plugging the flow.

20th Moonstone, Early winter

Well the project seems to be going along just fine, and we have begun to very carefully extract some adamantine from around the opening... Armok below what on earth is that sound? It sounds like a grown dwarf deprived from alcohol and locked in a room with kittens for three weeks...

Oh... So apparently my charts were a bit off...

And now magma is flooding into our attack tunnel.

Well at least it looks like everyone will get out ok...

Or.... not.

Also we now have ghosts. I have opted not to put them to rest in hopes that one might get violent and slay our demon population.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:35:18 am by druid91 »

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also we now have ghosts. I have opted not to put them to rest in hopes that one might get violent and slay our demon population.

Put 'em to rest, they don't have a chance against the demons. They can't die, but they can't hurt them either. I also doubt that a vengeful spirit will go after the demons, seeing as they teleport and phase through walls. They like to wander.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought vengeful spirits simply ripped internal organs out?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17