Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Watercloistered - Island Volcano succession (.31.25) (Needs moar overseers)  (Read 28086 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other than a forgotten beast that killed a couple beekeepers and an overzealous wrestler with an axe, not much excitement, but plenty of headaches!

We now have a jail, yes, I know the hammerer prefers to beat on people, but broken dwarves do no work.

There is now an extremely large storage facility for metal ores, for bars, for food, for furniture, and lots and lots of furnished rooms to spare for new arrivals.  Armor & weapons have been separated from animals, and a bigger ammo stockpile right near the surface has been created.  Basically most aspects of the fort have been smoothed out, and everything should run a bit smoother.

There is now an atom smasher for all your smashing needs.  It's been tested on rocks, kittens, and vermin corpses.  There are two levers - one to activate the smasher, the other to lock the door to the smasher.

I could not find the lever for the bridge at the front gate, so I walled it in after I put a ceiling over the lower plateau.

Currently, the upper plateau is walled in, and the roofing has started.  There's a 10 tile long tunnel out that when covered and when 10 doors are placed there, should allow ample time to actually wall in behind the doors, fully sealing the fort at need.

Steel has been produced in large quantities, but no armor or weapons yet, I'll let the more warlike amongst us determine what weapons and gear are needed.

The Depot has been moved and the stone crafts are highly organized, and the jewelers are only encrusting masterworks.

Mug production has ended.  Crafts production has begun, and with the craft shop by the depot limited to the use of our legendary crafters only, the rock crafts will be exceptional.  We'll also actually be able to trade them without massive confusion like when you try to deal with mugs.  For some freak reason, when you ask the bookkeeper where the stone crafts are, he always pretends stone mugs aren't stone crafts (bug)  There are still LOTS of mugs stored below, but they aren't moving anywhere without pulling all "finished goods" bins to the depot and sorting through them.  There are also large gems scattered everywhere which can really only be collected at the depot.

I know that nobody heard much from me this last year, but there really wasn't a lot of excitement, just a whole lot of re-organizing and streamlining.

There are open orders for cabinets and coffers and bags right now, for furnishing more rooms, and providing bags for our millers.

We do not need more beds.  Someone set a carpenters shop to autorepeat on beds, and we have about 70 more than we can use right now.

There is a large flooring project above the upper pasture, right next to the Hollywood sign.

There are several long, long term repeating orders that I know of active currently.  The jeweler has a huge stack of work to do.  There are two kitchens running full blast, and a brewery.  There's a craft shop making pottery down in bar storage to help make room.  The bonecrafters are working flat out making totems and bolts.  There are 5 magma furnaces running flat out to try to reduce the massive stock of ores, we're making good headway.  There's a coalmaking operation running constantly as well.

With roughly 10,000 meals and 2500 drinks, it may be a good time to forbid a few of each type seed we want to keep, and turn off all the farms and let the food process through, then maybe in 10 years or so we'll need to start growing things again.  Maybe.  I've left the farms up and running for now.

I don't think I left anything blatantly broken  ;D

Sorry for no pics, this was sortof rushed, fun but it had to be a blitz - as much as you can blitz at 30 FPS anyway.

The save is located here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4629
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:18:19 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

Hey, it's my turn again.

I'll probably get started tomorrow.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, one more thing.  Watch your mayors.  There is a dwarf that got elected to mayor position who created an adamantium mandate.  Our normal mayor likes nickel silver and figurines.  I kicked the Adamantium lover out of office and reinstated the prior mayor  8)

We are a bit short on nickel silver.  More silver than we can shake a stick at, but nickel needs some finding, buying, or melting.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

Sorry for no pics, this was sortof rushed, fun but it had to be a blitz - as much as you can blitz at 30 FPS anyway.

30 FPS ?!? That's twice as much as my laptop can do  :'(

On an unrelated note, did I make any strange mandates ? (even If it is unlikely given my preferences. Well, I could always ask for a billon spear)
Have a dwarven day.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

30 FPS ?!? That's twice as much as my laptop can do  :'(

On an unrelated note, did I make any strange mandates ? (even If it is unlikely given my preferences. Well, I could always ask for a billon spear)

No strange updates.  I made you a couple billon items (bins) and a couple of spears - steel ones I think, so they might even be useful.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st Limestone, 206
I've been asked to take up the reins again. I suppose it won't hurt to try.

So. Status report.

We've got plenty of food and booze. There's one mandate to take care of; it shouldn't be a problem. And to become the capital, we need better roads.

Simple enough, I suppose. Let's start with the road...

...Where's the exit?

Oh, I've just been informed that a billon bin task has completed. That takes care of the mandate, I suppose.

10th Limestone
Roctiv wants more billon goodies.

18th Limestone
I've just enacted sweeping labor changes. Anyone who is legendary in something other than stonecrafting is to do only that thing. No one who is legendary, even in stonecrafting, or has more than 20 total skill levels, or is a dedicated medical dwarf, is to waste their time hauling crap. Conversely, everyone with fewer than 20 skill levels who is not legendary and not a dedicated medical dwarf is to haul anything they are asked to.

Anyone whose highest skill level is less than Skilled is encouraged to try as many things as possible, to find their niche, but hunting, mining, wood cutting, and medicine are restricted to those with skill. And they're not to waste their time trying alchemy, which is a fake thing that doesn't exist and isn't real. For future reference, all such dwarves have been given the title of Apprentice.

1st Sandstone
Roctiv has just banned the export of spears and billon items.

For security purposes, I'm sure.

2nd Sandstone
Finally! After a month of searching, I've finally found some gold in this place!

3rd Sandstone

Fascinating... but potentially dangerous. We'll want to seal it off. The particular point we've breached is so far above the ground that only a flying enemy can get in... but there are plenty of those, aren't there?

14th Sandstone
Take, for example, the flying salt blob that just showed up. I've just created a marksdwarf squad under goukaryuujin and told them to stand on top of the fort and shoot on sight.

28th Sandstone
Migrants?

I thought we had reached the state-mandated population limit for an outpost of this type.

11th Timber
We're out of hematite. There's a vein or two embedded in the walls in various places, but other than that, we got nothing.

We already have hundreds of bars worth of iron and steel, so I guess we can make do until we find some more.

12th Timber
Caravan's here, and my road's barely even started. Oh well. Next year.

17th Timber
We're to be elevated to a duchy. As a duke, Roctiv will need more chests, weapon racks, and armor stands.

I requested a lot of lye and cheese, they want crossbows.

Winter has arrived on the calendar.

1st Moonstone
Who do I have to hammer to get a few bars of soap made around here?? ... The lye making guild apparently.

That's where the bottleneck is.

5th Moonstone
One of our apprentices, tired of having no direction in life, has been taken by a fey mood!
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

13th Moonstone
Bye, merchants!

16th Moonstone
The Apprentice has begun a mysterious construction...

20th Moonstone

It is done. The Apprentice is now a Bone Carver.

I've finished a project of my own.

Nobody enters or leaves the fort without getting cleaned up.

12th Opal
I've been busy with another project, and am only taking time out to inform everyone that Roctiv has requested more spears.

21st Opal

You know what are cool? Clear glass windows. Can I have one? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

5th Obsidian
Roctiv wants spears again. Luckily for him, I was going to make some of those anyway.

Spring has arrived on the calendar.
1st Granite, 207
I've been quite busy lately, but I want my wonderful little project to be a surprise, so I've had little to write about.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Heh, the soap walls are a nice touch.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile

Dorf me as Velard Amakar, put me in the military for glory and death!

Also, I'd like a go at running Watercloistered, I'm great at ordering military and miners, my farming skills are sub-par but whenever I'm around, nothing short of demons (or a tantrum spiral) can stop me.

EDIT: Yay, I'm on the squad! I'll be sure to keep track of the events, murder everyone and post pictures!  :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:06:00 pm by Velard »
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

MORE SPEARS AND BILLON ITEMS. WOE BE HE WHO DOES NOT MAKE THEM FOR ME!

*Yep, I just read Nist Akath*

Nice update.
Have a dwarven day.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dorf me as Velard Amakar, put me in the military for glory and death!

Also, I'd like a go at running Watercloistered, I'm great at ordering military and miners, my farming skills are sub-par but whenever I'm around, nothing short of demons (or a tantrum spiral) can stop me.

( I'll do you one better; you're now the leader of a new squad. Can't promise any action, though. It is an island, with all that implies. )

12th Granite
You know that secret project I've been running for the past season?

It's nowhere near done yet, but it's certainly far enough to show you.

We've extended into the caverns. The front gate I've built is completely impenetrable if the bridges are up.

The air moat has a 9-story drop onto... well, right now, nothing, but I plan to line the bottom with steel spikes. Squish.

Oh, that blood? Well, I had to pierce the magma pipe somehow.

This would be the dwarf that did it, escaping with only minor damage to one finger. She's been rewarded with an artifact installed in her room.

And, of course, no cavern claim would be complete without a new military squad to defend it. Two speardwarves, two axedwarves, two hammerdwarves, two marksdwarves, and two given their choice.

Behind the staircase I plan to put a battery of siege engines, just as soon as I can work out the most efficient setup for them. I may have to dig out more space...

20th Granite
We've found more hematite!

25th Granite

Hooray, another useless craft for us.

... He claimed the shop in the archery range. Weirdo.

6th Slate

Oh

hell

NO.

And to answer the question on everyone's minds, it is very close to our cavern claim.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suggest sealing away the beast if it can be helped. Spos will be a great way to defend against enemies that come by. From what you're saying, not many foes will come, but the ones that will will be formidable. If need be, send me to help weaken and capture the Forgotten Beast! A forgotten beast trapped in a dungeon would be an excellent trap for those meddlers.   :)

Also, what weapon am I using?  ???

I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Children can create bone artifact furniture which can be useful, as well as bone shields.  Legendary bonecrafters arent' much good for anything after their moods are done though, lol, other than burning through bones really fast when making bolts.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suggest sealing away the beast if it can be helped. Spos will be a great way to defend against enemies that come by. From what you're saying, not many foes will come, but the ones that will will be formidable. If need be, send me to help weaken and capture the Forgotten Beast! A forgotten beast trapped in a dungeon would be an excellent trap for those meddlers.   :)

( Spos? Also you are using a spear. )

6th Slate
The child has begun his mysterious construction. He's got two logs, a galena boulder, a raw glass gem, two silver bars, some spider silk, and two kinds of leather.

... What the crap is he making?

7th Slate
The lever has been pulled. The caverns are sealed off. And I just realized that someone built a retracting bridge instead of a raising one.

Luckily, nobody's between the moats, so we're fine anyway.

(... And with that, I lose interest IRL. I don't know. I'm easily distracted. So I'm ending my turn early. Only not really because it's been a real-world week and that was also a time limit. Here's the save.)

Velard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

( Spos? Also you are using a spear. )

The Forgotten Beast's name is Spos, is it not? Also, I bet the kid's craft will menace with spikes. :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17