Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Watercloistered - Island Volcano succession (.31.25) (Needs moar overseers)  (Read 28100 times)

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wait, wasn't I a swordsdorf?

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

Posting to say that I won't be able to download a save before monday. Take your time to finish, ArkFallen.

On an unrelated note, this clay madness has to stop. True dwarves use STONE. (Legendary mason talking  :P)
Have a dwarven day.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile

wait, wasn't I a swordsdorf?
Once upon a time you were, but there was no military so someone turned you into a Crafter. I guess I'll send you into the guard and try to get you some equipment.

Posting to say that I won't be able to download a save before monday. Take your time to finish, ArkFallen.

On an unrelated note, this clay madness has to stop. True dwarves use STONE. (Legendary mason talking  :P)
Whew. So I can slow down a bit. Nice to know.

Back to the Mud with ye'. Everyone knows True dwarves use everything. :P (Skilled Potter)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:27:32 am by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile

{((I noticed no one actually dwarfed Algeroth so I took the liberty and made him a guard. He wields what was the only iron left in Watercloistered. An exceptional iron spear made by the best weaponsmith, me.))}

Final Journal of ArK Salvesquashed, Director: 204:

Galena 6th, 204:
After all that excitement I checked how many (living) migrants we got: 7 and a baby. Now that's a number I can respect. We've got at least 20 empty rooms, 7 we can handle.

Galena 8th, 204:
The Hammerdwarf is on the edge of breaking down. Because of this I've temporarily suspended the guard, I'll even give him my room for now.

Galena 9th, 204:
We seem to have completely run out of trees. It seems the job "Tree Killer" is not an accurate enough name, "Tree Genocider" seems marginally more appropriate.

Galena 11th, 204:
Re-enacting the guard, but the Hammerdwarf is on leave. The fool tried to continue his martial duties while the squad was suspended. We can't trust him in this state.

Galena 13th, 204:
I've locked him in my old room. Now we don't have to worry about him going postal...as much.

Galena 17th, 204:
Beginning another, smaller project to keep the masons and miners busy. I'll sketch out the blueprints as soon as I find more capybara blood, I'm running low and my writing's becoming scratchy.

Galena 25th, 204:
And the Armorer/Potter has begun skipping around in glee. Billybobfred says he's gone fey, so he's going to turn into a pixie?

Galena 26th, 204:
He claimed a magma forge, a copper, bar and an earthenware brick. He then plomped down and started fidgeting with the brick and bar. So I guess we're not getting a pixie after all.

Limestone 2nd, 204:
He has finished! He has created Closedowner, a pair of copper greaves! All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with earthenware and encircled with bands of copper. I didn't know you could  encrust clay. A man after my own heart. {((I'm not including a photo because that's really all there is. It's basic value is 11,520.))}

Limestone 3rd, 204:
And the third Child of Areloddom has been born. Unfortunately haven't seen the baby so I can't tell you what it looks like. But I hear the Hammerdwarf is feeling a lot better, I'm going to see Remalle about re-instating him.

Limestone 13th, 204:
And one of the capybara's got out, again. From now on I'm not trusting my fellows with any type of dangerous animal.

Limestone 14th, 204:
I'm beginning to think Remalle is too good. In the capybara battle everyone was there, but Remalle still killed it and Kerlc didn't even get a chance to touch it. So now I'm stationing Kerlc alone for practice.

Limestone 15th, 204:
With that fight I've restocked my ink wells of capybara blood. Feast your eyes on our new grave section; there are three levels, all identical.

Unfortunately the rocks are still being relocated, but soon it shall be the envy of all! Though the head miner looked at me funny when I showed him the blueprint.

Limestone 24th, 204:
As per my orders Doctor Hatz tried to "pit" a capybara while Kerlc stood by. It is loose...in front of a heavily armored dwarf with a sword. I'd never realized how sadistic Kerlc is until I watched him fight. He kicked and punched bruising and breaking bones. He even slapped it with the blade, who actually does that? It seems I have more to worry about with the guard than Remalle.

Limestone 27th, 204:
First Danger Room test. A few lever pulls and everyone got sheild and armor use practice. Thank you Goukaryuujin, there may be some hope for the Hammerdwarf at this rate.

Sandstone 6th, 204:
The front bridge is now being connected to a lever...after 4 long years of being useless. The lever is directly below Billybobfred's room, it even has a note attached.

Sandstone 22nd, 204:
Below the original farms is a giant field, divided in two. We've got seeds galore and together they can take 100.

Timber 1st, 204:
Libash killed a capybara that wandered into the entrance and is now officially a Hammerdwarf.

Timber 2nd, 204:
7 More Migrants.

Timber 18th, 204:
Some capybara meat went rotten and miasma is filling the butchery. Most of the rock is cleared out of the gravesite and the first floor is mostly filled, if my successor wants to continue the gravesite hundreds of more coffins are required. I've already used over a hundred.

Timber 20th, 204:
Liason and Merchants are here. Mosus just bought off most of their caravan with our overproduction. Look and weep at our 1,000 lead coins!

I don't know why I ordered them, but I love them.

Moonstone 1st, 204:
I'm surrendering my position of power to the next bastard unlucky enough to lead here.

{((Note: The rocks in the gravesite are being dumped, I've been using Z-stocks to unforbid them afterward. There's still miasma in the butchery and the miners are smoothing with the engravers. We also have no more iron, aside from the bars we just bought. There are also manager jobs calling for over a hundred caskets and we have tons of lead.))}
[End of Year 4]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:26:43 pm by ArKFallen »
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

Updated the OP and notified Roctiv.

He did say he can't start until Monday, of course.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

Save downloaded. Expect a prologue / first update by 1pm tomorrow (Europe time).
It should take me 2 to 4 days to finish, I will try to make daily updates.

EDIT : tested the save, FPS ok. Apart from the stocks problems (I will rant about that in character), I noticed that the save is from the beginning of moonstone (early winter, october in the gregorian calendar IIRC). Does it mean that I have to surrender the save next moonstone, or did ArkFallen kindly gave me three months to get his hauling jobs done and solve the clusterf*** of orders in the manager's menu ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:24:14 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I imagine ArKFallen stopped in Moonstone because it started in Moonstone when he downloaded it.

I say you can have the extra three months if you want them.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile

It started in Moonstone, so I ended it in moonstone. I was considering finishing the year but I had other things to attend to.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

Prologue

*Busy workshop area. Roctiv is crafting a coffin in his mason workshop. In the background,
dwarves go back and forth, carrying stones and various crafts. Ark approaches Roctiv's workshop.*

"Still at work, Roctiv ?"

"My last piece for the day, after that I'll go on break. It's been ages since I last left my worshop ! I think I'll take a tour of the fort first. I heard you made some nice changes during the last year."

"Yeah, about that, I've made a mandate I need to talk to you about..."

*five minutes later*

"I'm the new overseer of this hellhole ?!?"

"Yes, yes, but don't worry, I've asked the bookkeeper to drop a report in your room. All you need is in there."

Hauler : "Sir, I'm going to need you to finish this coffin."

"Yes, I'll do that. Anyway, Ark, there's no way that I... Ark ? Ark ? Where did the bastard go ?"

"Your coffin, sir."

"grmf..."

Extracts - City of Areloddom, Moonstone 204, by Sigun Fathsazir, bookkeeper :

Stockpiles records
[...]
Furniture :
weapon racks (rock) : 78
armor stands (rock) : 82
cabinets (rock) : 99
doors (rock) : 73
thrones (rock) : 57
tables (rock) : 46
coffins (rock) : 92
[...]

"All my masterpieces...just stored away in stockpiles..."

[...]
Misc. goods :
mugs (rock) : 2873
[...]

"What."

*Sigun's office. Sigun is seated behind his desk. Rolls of paper are stacked up everywhere in the room. Ark is standing in front of the desk*

"I delivered the report, as you asked."

"Perfect. How is he managing the news ?"

"Well, last time I saw him, he was softly banging his head against one of his masterwork doors. Muttering about '3 metric fucktons of mugs' or something, if I recall... Why did you choose him ? He is obsessed with perfection. He wants everything to make sense. I fear that this job will break him..."

*Ark looks away and grins, muttering to himself*

"...Shouldn't have called clay 'elf-grade material'..."

OOC stuff :

Due to Real Life striking me in the Free Time (the severed part sails off in an arc !) and the FPS being rather low, the daily updates will cover "short" amounts of time, with the final update covering the rest of the year coming on monday.

Ark, even though I'm sure you're a nice person, I've decided that my dwarf has a grudge against you. After all, you did let my masterworks to rot (figuratively. I've yet to see a stone rotting) in the stockpiles.

First "real" update coming tomorrow. Expect capybara blood, stupid hunters (the cruel kind of stupid) and the wonders of dwarven dining room arrangement. Oh, and the hauling is nearly finished, too.

EDIT : Also, the liaison from the mountainhomes is around is will probably make us a barony. What should I do ? Tell him to wait, let billybobfred (our current mayor) decide, choose myself ?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:20:25 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're the leader, so you get to decide.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look at your dwarves.  You want to choose one as a baron who likes things you can actually get - either that or be resigned to hammering crafters or jailing them.  Have the lucky dwarf picked out before you get asked again :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

Naaaaah, not !!Fun!! enough. I do that on forts focused on construction, but since it's a succession fort, I want the baron to be a named dwarf. I'll see that tonight. Our first nobility will probably be an ex-overseer (excluding billybobfred, he's already mayor), or myself (If I feel like being a dick).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:38:28 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

double post for the journal

Roctiv's notes, extract :

So, we've got Dining rooms, bedrooms and furniture for 300 dwarves. At least, no production or extension of any kind should be needed this year. The thing bothering me is : Why is there a wood furnace in the middle of the dining room ?

Apart from this rather disturbing dining arrangement (and the open-sky clay tomb), everything seems normal. I've ordered parts of our furniture stock to be installed in bedrooms.

10th Moonstone :
I watched one of our hunters today. I cannot question their efficiency, since our meat stocks are constantly rising. However, their method for taunting the wildlife is questionably useful and rather disturbing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

17th Moonstone :
Today, I thought to myself that I did not quite get back at Ark for what he did.

*Looks at the blood pools in front of the fortress*

Well, that should do it.

19th Moonstone :
I heard that billybobfred, our mayor, is going to designate our future baron to the liaison from the mountainhomes. To help him in his decision, I installed two masterful weapon racks and a masterful statue of himself in his bedroom.

20th Moonstone :
Our mayor certainly is a wise person. I have ordered my new quarters excavated.

7th Obsidian :

*Roctiv's temporary office. A small, rudimentary cavern with a chair and a desk. Sigun the bookkeeper enters the office.*

"Here's the stockpile record, on a stone tablet, as you asked."

"Perfect. Furniture levels are going down, drink and food stocks up..."

Misc. goods stockpile record :
[...]
mugs (rock) : 3554
[...]

"What."

"What seems to be the problem ?"

"Explain this. Now."

"Well, we do have a production capacity of three hundred mugs per month, and... What are you doing ?"

*Roctiv repeatedly bangs his head against the stone tablet, babbling incoherently*

"I will tell the crafters to stop producing them..."

28th Obsidian :
My quarters are finished.

Neat, huh ?

OOC Stuff :
The hauling is finished, I mass forbade those $%#ì* mugs and crafts that were occupying half our population, and I have about 50 idlers now. I think the next step is equipping our military, and probably a few stupid excavation projects.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:51:01 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh yah, am i back on hunting or am i still a craftsdwarf?  ???
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile

I'll check that at noon, but I'm pretty sure that you still are a craftsdwarf. But since I cancelled the repeating "make rock mugs" orders (I would like to atomsmash the things, but I'm pretty sure they make up for 5 to 10% of the fort's wealth), You may or may not be back to your hunting duties.

Tl;dr : I dunno. Lemme check that.

Next update will include a detailed report on the activities of named dwarves. A good part of them are spewing masterworks quicker than chickens breed.

EDIT : goukaryuujin, you are bathing in a pool of capybara blood. At the top of Ark's clay tower. Congrats.
With the rock mug madness stopped, you are one of the 50 or so idlers of the fortress. I could send you back to hunting, but we are already drowning in meat and the current hunters bring corpses faster than we can butcher them.
Enjoy your break time !
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:18:22 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17