Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF does away with a few things you take for granted in other RPGs.  (Read 830 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

After being annoyed at all the vacant keeps with nary a soul inhabiting them, I try a different tactic. I go on a Legends hunt, and immediately strike gold: a particular capital is ruled by a demon lord! So I start off in that civilization, visit the keep, and lo and behold, Os the Gecko Brute is indeed living there. Time to liberate the land from its evil overlord.

So I start training up on bandit quests and bogeymen, neither of which are a problem for a swordsmaster such as myself. Eventually I get enough loot to upgrade my weapon, so I head down to the market and trade in my copper scimitar for a well-made bronze one, and head off for the next quest.

Halfway to the next bandit camp I get slaughtered by the normally harmless bogeymen because I forgot to pick up my sword from the shop after I bought it. Whoops.

Fark it, next time I'll play a monk.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF does away with a few things you take for granted in other RPGs.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:41 am »

Yes that can be annoying. I was playing a female sword elf one time. Lacking any valuable goods I sold all of my clothes and other items except a loincloth in order to get a nice iron short sword, only to forget to pick it up.

I immediately went back once I realized my mistake and offered my poor elf's last scrap of clothing for a copper sword. Surprisingly the merchant accepted. He must have had an elf fetish. :o

I should have seen if he would have gone up to bronze.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:18:51 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:47 am »

"he would have gone up"
Well a certain bit of him might have  ;)
/sophomore humour.

Most other RPGs also avoid the whole nasty "caving in childrens heads with the heads of their decapitated parents" business as well. This is why we still play DF.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:54 am »

The procedurally generated world takes away the compulsive chest-searching I find myself doing in most RPGs. The reason is that in most games, the chest would have been put there for a reason and probably has something meaningful inside it. In Dwarf Fortress, you know that every item in the world is as meaningless as it should be and there's no need to look through it all.
[Signature]