Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Most Impressive Combat Reports  (Read 35027 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Impressive Combat Reports
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »

My Mace Lord did a goblin by making three strikes (foot, lower leg, upper leg) and then doing a left foot kick to the goblin's skull to kill it.  Must have looked like some sort of kung-fu special attack - or else the goblin bent over in pain and it's head met the upcoming foot.

His follow-up has been fighting goblin lashers with just armor and shield.  His steel mace appears to have been misplaced.  So he dodges, hits them with the shield and punches them a lot until they go down.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »

i recently had a fb (golden winged slug) chase a miner for about 5 min's. when he finally caught him the miner took two swings..severing a wing with each swing he then continued running...conveniently the reason he had caught him was he got chased into a basement...so whilst the slug was ko'ed i had the miner remove the stairs behind him... :)
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

I just decapitated a Dragon using his right arm, that I bited off his body.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

Well, I just lost a legendary mason (who had fighter training), but he went down in true dwarf style.

He got bushwacked by a goblin thief in a tunnel and stabbed in the gut.  The thief ran off, but an goblin ambush team turned up right then.  As the mason went retching up the tunnel to try to escape he gets hit by two arrows and the goblin hammer leader comes to finish him off.  The mason gets hit and bruised 3-4 times and then suddenly rushes the hammer goblin, knocks him over, and then punches him hard enough to break his upper spine.  The mason then gets hit by another arrow doing more internal injuries.  So he bites the hammer goblin in the leg.

He then starts shaking the goblin around by the leg tearing up ligaments and such while the other goblins pump more arrows into him.

He finally gives into the pain, but gets to watch the hammer goblin expire in the mean time.

[Edit: This mason was one of my original seven founders too.  Oh, and reports of his demise might be premature.  The ambush team got walled off or otherwise gotten out of the way and the mason was hauled to the hospital and the doctor is *in*.  (I don't use my best diagnostic rating as CMD, but instead a decent one who has a positive attitude towards treating patients - and thus he tends to show up quickly.)

Yi.  The medical evaluation is serious though.  Ligament damage in multiple places and cut open all over, including the gut.  Some sensory damage in an arm as well.  Will have to see how well the medical team can clean and sew him up.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:47:50 pm by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lord Bloody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:21 am »

Hi, new here and all. I don't think this will be impressive to you, but this is my second fort and just finished my barracks, and after 5 minutes of training, one of my
speardwarfs punched the shit out of a goblin, tearing the brain. That girl packs one hell of a punch.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2011, 06:12:14 am »

My own most memorable combat log is the one regarding Tirist GraniteYawned, AKA, the Dwarven Porcupine, for reasons I'm sure you can guess already, and for being the most suicidal/brave dwarf I've ever encountered.

The year is 247, and the mountain-fort Paintedceiling is surviving, barely. Constant attack from skeletal goats and other zombified creatures makes progression slow and keeps the population small but stable. Soon after a migrant wave (mostly cheesemakers and wood burners) managed to avoid the skeletal beings and claw their way to my gates, a goblin ambush was spotted by them. my gates locked open thanks to an errant sock, there was no choice but to assemble the migrants into the militia and charge the buggers until my other dwarves could grab the sock. Two squads of militiamen (an 8 and 9) formed, they charged the three goblin crossbowmen, who oddly enough, were retreating, but not before taking down a good two dwarves.

As the seemingly victorious charge neared the edge of the map, the reason for the goblins' retreat quickly became apparent. Ambush. A dozen more goblin crossbowmen rose out from their hiding places, and unleashed a barrage upon my charging dwarves. The initial salvo was deadly, turning the mountainside into a streak of red. Twelve dwarves died from that alone, punctured hearts and shattered skulls, and all my other dwarves were now with some form of crippling injury. The second salvo destroyed four more, their corpses littered with arrows sticking out of their feet, chests, heads. Except for dwarf no. 7 of The Bolts of Defence. A broken leg, a cut arm, and two bolts in his chest, this soldier was the sole dwarf remaining, facing down a dozen angry goblins. The smart option would be to run away, to hide or to take cover. Not Tirist Graniteyawned.

No, he charged.

Bolts flew down around him, he took more, and more, and more. He kept getting staggered, kept getting knocked back, his sheet showed every limb, every finger, every toe, broken or cut open. But that didn't stop him.  He charged, bringing his crippled body over to the nearest goblin and slashed with his dagger. It's head severed off. More bolts cut into him, he dodged even more. He had a dozen arrows lodged inside of him, covering his chest and legs. Then one hit him in the head. Not a glancing blow, but through the head. All it did was stun him, and he recovered quickly. He retreated to higher ground, vomiting, bleeding, crippled. But he wasn't going down like this.

He began a campaign of guerilla warfare. He would charge down into the Goblins, beelining for the nearest goblin before retreating into the mountainside like a midget Taliban fighter. This continued for a season, spring passing into summer. The mountain was covered in his blood, his vomit. His guts were trailing behind him. Two more goblins had been felled by his iron dagger. Finally, in one final rush, he launched forwards with all his might, his last remaining bastion of strength. The all-or-never moment. Half the goblins had run out of bolts and moved to pummel him instead. He slashed at them, bit, kicked. Soon he was standing on top of three more dead goblin bodies. And then he died. Not from blood loss, not from the sheer amount of bolts lodged within him. No, he succumbed to infection.

And so was Tirist Graniteyawned slain, surrounded by his vomit and the blood and body parts of half a dozen goblins. I name him The Porcupine for this reason. Trawling through the 90+ pages of combat reports, this was the final tally of bolts lodged inside him:  18 x chest, 12 x left leg, 9 x right leg, 6 x left arm, 10 x right arm, 4 x head. And he died from illness.

The sock was still stuck inside the door.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:14:07 am by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2011, 08:13:39 am »

Any report about someone knocking a projectile out of the air deserves a mention. Doubly so when the projectile in question is a shot fired from a modded-in musket during arena testing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:27 am »

Pfft, musket balls are tiny, you just need to be "The One".  Bat away a ballista bolt and I'll be impressed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:09 am »

Hi, new here and all. I don't think this will be impressive to you, but this is my second fort and just finished my barracks, and after 5 minutes of training, one of my
speardwarfs punched the shit out of a goblin, tearing the brain. That girl packs one hell of a punch.
This is actually quite common.  Skulls are the weak spot of every animal, and if you can ever score a punch it's practically always fatal.
-Everything-
This is why I love dorf sometimes.  I'm convinced that Toady has included an extra variable somewhere.  None of the memory hacking has found it yet, but somewhere in the piles of code is the single data point, [EPIC:1]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2011, 09:27:41 am »

Any report about someone knocking a projectile out of the air deserves a mention. Doubly so when the projectile in question is a shot fired from a modded-in musket during arena testing.

Let's see a dwarf biting a flying musket shot from mid-air. I would like to see it.

I'm convinced that Toady has included an extra variable somewhere.  None of the memory hacking has found it yet, but somewhere in the piles of code is the single data point, [EPIC:1]

Maybe it's just a randomized stat for a dorf. Along with "He rarely procrastinates" and all that stuff, maybe, just maybe, it is possible for a dorf to have "He is insanely epic and bulletproof. He never goes down without a fight, and rarely even goes down."

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2011, 04:45:35 am »

On my main fort (volcano rich of iron and flux) i had a mason walling herself out the newly estabilished outer defenses, so of course that was the time for a SIEGE! she got surrounded and scourged to death, her baby was just killed when my fresh recruit (the father) entered the fight, he almost immediately raged and turned 5 goblins in minced meat and even when bolts stuck him breaking his left leg, right arm, and rib he continued to fight, he had to drop his waraxe so he kept bashing the Goblins whit his candy shield leaving a trail of broken bodies.
luckly when he finally passed out McLeader and McHero had just finished their share so they came in rescue while the rest of the squad pursued the fleeing maggots.
after a couple of weeks of traction bench he was appointed with the newly forged artifact silver shield and i gave him the title of Slayer (btw he took so much joy in slugther that he passed the hospital time being quite content, even though he lost his family)

For a dwarf Vengeance is better then Beer, and dwarf life is 80% about beer
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2011, 05:05:08 am »

This is a common one, but it might be worth mentioning.

"He bites the goblin's mouth from behind, and latches on firmly!"

Is that what the kids are calling it?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2011, 05:47:34 am »

I like to think a bite from behind is like the user sneaking up, jumping around and quickly biting rather than some ghostly bite through the skin.

I had one of the S7 strangled by a blind cave ogre for eight pages before he passed out and was promptly killed. The cave ogre then fainted of exhaustion. :D

I've had a classic one adventuring though:

The spinning Damin Acemourn vomit laced with Damin Acemourn's dwarf blood strikes the goblin axe lord in the head, bruising the muscle, tearing the tissue and smashing the bone through the brain!
The Goblin Axe lord has been struck down.

Damin was an adventurer of mine who dual wielded an axe and a leg. :P

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:19 am »

I had a cheesemaker kill a GCS. It was somewhat annoying really, I was planning on capturing it. Another useless untrained migrant went 2v1 against a troll and an ogre, killed one and was still standing when the military arrived.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:37 am »

i don't have the log but I had my spear, my shield, my crossbow and my tooth stuck in a gobbler
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15