Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Most Impressive Combat Reports  (Read 35023 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Most Impressive Combat Reports
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2011, 08:39:07 pm »

Salt demon refers to table salt, not rock salt, or even salt plains.  They're just loose material that crumples like powder.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »

Yeah, salt/steam/water/fire etc creatures don't hold together too well in DF2010. Apparently that's a result of fixing their previous invincibility as blobs.

In the way of impressive combat:
During some testing in the arena, with hammerdwarves versus my modded tripods, a dwarf entered a trance, charged while blocking/dodging several shots of the heat ray, ran through a cloud of the Black Smoke (which he somehow managed not to inhale), and whacked the tripod's body clean off its legs in one shot. Unfortunately he was immediately boiled into a puddle of !!dwarf!! by its companions, while his fellow soldiers stumbled around vomiting up their own lungs as a result of inhaling neurotoxin.

...I feel tripod sieges will be great fun.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:02 pm »

Yeah, salt/steam/water/fire etc creatures don't hold together too well in DF2010. Apparently that's a result of fixing their previous invincibility as blobs.

In the way of impressive combat:
During some testing in the arena, with hammerdwarves versus my modded tripods, a dwarf entered a trance, charged while blocking/dodging several shots of the heat ray, ran through a cloud of the Black Smoke (which he somehow managed not to inhale), and whacked the tripod's body clean off its legs in one shot. Unfortunately he was immediately boiled into a puddle of !!dwarf!! by its companions, while his fellow soldiers stumbled around vomiting up their own lungs as a result of inhaling neurotoxin.

...I feel tripod sieges will be great fun.

Tell me how you did this.

Now.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »

Raws plz.

I'm sorry, that sounded too much like a request.  Rather, it is a demand.  Mayor McGirlinhat demands raws in her thread.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

Raws plz.

I'm sorry, that sounded too much like a request.  Rather, it is a demand.  Mayor McGirlinhat demands raws in her thread.

Casp McMayor;

Mandates: forge tripod raws: 0/1

WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »

Unfortunately they're not done yet, I'm still figuring out the body configurations (which probably explains how easy it is to knock its body off, my sizes are all over the place), and right now they're crashing on spawn because I've made a bunch of further modifications whose undo's I'm unable to access-- I'll likely have to rework that part altogether. I'll be posting the tripods when they're done, though, probably in the next day or two. On the other hand, here's the raws for a stable version. It's got all but the actual tripod body (heatray/black smoke, 'sounds', glowing green eyes and mechanical properties such as nopain/fear, etc) which instead is replaced with that of a flesh-ball. I've got no idea how to make it out of steel yet, so flesh will have to do for the stable version...

Place this in a custom creature_mars.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And put this in a custom material_template_mars.txt

Right now they're arena-only because they don't have a civ. The thread for the current development on the tripods is here.

Currently known (major) issues: heat ray only melts fish, heat ray is fired from a distance longer than its actual reach and has a very variable range, black smoke's lung rot might not cause enough excruciating pain, tripod isn't actually a tripod.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:24:46 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:54 pm »

Working heat vision... Please take this «☼«Gneiss Mug»☼» as a tribute of my appreciation.  It is a well-crafted gneiss goblet.  It is adorned with hanging rings of zinc.  We didn't have any very expensive rewards to give out...

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »

This is a personal favorite I screencapped. A total "shit just got real" moment.

Also, this happens fairly regularly in my current fortres...

Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:55 pm »

Holy shit that's one astounding overlord.  I LOVE the implications of that.  If I knew more I might offer to write a little mini-scene, but I honestly feel like that screenshot captures more than I could ever write.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:55 pm »

I had a goblin Axe Lord in my most recent siege stomped to death by three war elephants who were all enraged.  ;D

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »

Milita commander unarmored, armed only with a steel sword beat back a goblin ambush of about 5-6 on his own. Even killed 4 of them. Lots of dodging and parrying.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:01 am »

Sadly the log of the combat is on a now defunct computer, but I had a peasant that was given a crossbow simply because of the fact my army was being raped to death by 2 forgotten beasts simultaneously.

She didn't get any armor, and all the good bolts were already used putting down another forgotten beast, but being a dwarf she did her duty. "The Goblin Cap bolt hit the forgotten beast in the eye! destroying it and tearing the brain! The forgotten beast has lost consciousness. The forgotten beast is dead." It is worth noting this forgotten beast had only one eye.

Then her next shot she put a bolt through the second beasts heart, whereapon it bled to death less than a Urist away from her attempting to gain revenge.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:48 am »

DrKillPatient

With great honor, I bestow upon you the somewhat rare prize of The *Bloated Tuber Biscuit* for your creations of Tripods.

Hold it well.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

Unfortunately an axedwarf turned up and stole the kill, but this baby is definitely joining my militia when it reaches adulthood:

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2011, 10:34:20 am »

Almost any combat involving properly armoured and armed Dwarfs is impressive but I'll mention only two. I recall a Militia Commander cutting the lower body off of a Blind Cave Ogre using his green short sword. :D

Edit; ooh ooh, was also the time when an enraged badger charged an experienced Dwarf warrior who bit it in a tooth and then let it plummet three levels into my ditch.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:42:33 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15