Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Rogue Trader, full.  (Read 20302 times)

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader, full.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:34 am »

Now I havent played any rogue trader games before but how does having members of the Ecclesiarchy work when Xeno's are onboard?
Raggle Fraggle

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 09:31:04 am »

Almost have enough info to make a character but I've been focused on getting up to speed on the basic combat rules (not spaceship combat or anything). Do I have to use the random roll for characteristics or can I use the suggested point allocation method?

Also, how are we meeting? I'd prefer MapTools for its in-built functionality but I could go pure IRC if it's easier to do that.
When you're attacking something, you roll 1d100. If the result is lower than the skill you're using (Ballistics Skill for guns, Weapons Skill for melee) you hit. Then, to determine hit location, you switch the two number results around (23 becomes 32, etc.) and then you look at the hit location chart. Usually, you'll hit in the body, statistically speaking. Then you roll for damage, which is stated on the weapon. Melee weapons are an exception, because you add your Strength Bonus (The tens column on it: St 40 means your SB is 4, 30 means 3, 57 means 5, etc.) to the damage, and not just what it says.

If you are the one getting hit, after your opponent rolls damage you subtract your Armor Points, and then your Toughness Bonus (Same procedure with the Strength Bonus).

So if you're planning on playing an Ork, you'll want to use melee weapons, as your Ballistics Skill is dreadful. See Cthulhu's for example.

Now I havent played any rogue trader games before but how does having members of the Ecclesiarchy work when Xeno's are onboard?
It probably ends very badly. By all means, do it.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 09:37:07 am »

So if you're planning on playing an Ork, you'll want to use melee weapons, as your Ballistics Skill is dreadful. See Cthulhu's for example.

Ah, so there's no Shoota career type for them? I was looking forward to playing a heavy weapons Ork, though a Storm Boy using Pilot (Personal) also sounds appealing.

EDIT: I have just discovered that decapitation isn't immediately fatal for orkz. I am speechless.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:23:40 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 10:10:57 am »

Ah, so there's no Shoota career type for them? I was looking forward to playing a heavy weapons Ork, though a Storm Boy using Pilot (Personal) also sounds appealing.
Orks have one career choice with multiple paths, I believe. One of them is Dakka heavy, but you'll probably end up spending most of your experience points on Ballistics Skill upgrades.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 10:26:33 am »

Screw it. I wanna play a Freebooter also :D. Whats the supplement that has the Freebooter rules?
Raggle Fraggle

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27:47 am »

Screw it. I wanna play a Freebooter also :D. Whats the supplement that has the Freebooter rules?
It's the Into the Storm expansion book.
... Damn I lost the links. Can someone PM Riccto the links to the books?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

Okay, I did that.

Also, three orks? Wtf? This is going to be... Ah... Interesting.

Also, I notice we still don't have a leader figure (or a navigator) if none show up, are you going to NPC them or something?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:04 am »

Also, three orks? Wtf? This is going to be... Ah... Interesting.

Also, I notice we still don't have a leader figure (or a navigator) if none show up, are you going to NPC them or something?

Yeah, I'm also wondering how this will work. I'm willing to play whatever to get this game started but being completely clueless I'd prefer sticking with an easy job... like shootin'.

-------

Since I got no reply about the point-buy thing, here are my rolls from that Invisible Castle site Cthulu used: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3068765/
I'm considering what to build with them now. If we're a bunch of Freebootaz I feel obligated to tie our characters together by picking the same Klan as Cthulu (Bad Moonz)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:08 am »

Oh dear, this Explorator will not have a long life expectancy.

I mean, Kroot are fine, even a crew of Servitors, but oh dear so many Orks.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 11:58:36 am »

Oh dear, this Explorator will not have a long life expectancy.

I mean, Kroot are fine, even a crew of Servitors, but oh dear so many Orks.

Just try to imagine the spore cleanup you'll need to do so the ship doesn't become a flying WAAAGH!!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2011, 12:00:29 pm »

Note to self: Find flamer.

Note to Ship: MACHINE SPIRIT! SAVE YOURSELF!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2011, 12:16:31 pm »

Wait wait, so oo'z gonna be da Roge Trada?!

Too many boyz in a 'umie krew makez fer less killin'

Plus we boyz'r too much fun ta play, I'd hate ta see da campain git ov'rshada'd by ork jokez we all dun herd a huner'd timez

Y'know wot I'm sayin?

Maybe I'll be dat navvygater git I menchuned earlia.

EDIT:  Also, three orkz on a long boring-ass ride through space are probably going to end up killing dozens or hundreds of people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:38:58 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:01 am »

Ok, I figured out what I'm going to do. Going with a general approach focusing on an Ork's strengths for now. It seems that an Ork shoota would depend heavily on Kustom Bitz to counterbalance their awful Ballistics, and I'm not sure how often I'd be able to get upgrades while on an 'umie krew.

Spoiler: Nok Rokkitchoppa (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:32:46 am by Glowcat »

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:50 am »

Hmmm. Missionary or Senchal...I'm leaning towards the first one now. I'm ditching the Freeboota due to the fact we already have two and arnt running a Freeboota crew

Also : How much XP do we have at the start?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:50:08 am by Riccto »
Raggle Fraggle

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:10 am »

We have 500 XP to spend on advancements but Rogue Trader characters effectively start at +4,500 XP for purposes of cross-game strength measurement.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15