Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS and rain?  (Read 1032 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
FPS and rain?
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:01:21 pm »

Anyone else notice that when rain is refilling a (major) river the FPS crashes?
It goes from 45 FPS to 8 on my map :(

I would call this a bug but I'm not sure if it is, or, if it is, if it is worth reporting.

(Edit: Woah! WAAAY too many i? words...)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:03:43 pm by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: FPS and rain?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »

Yeah, weather is a big FPS drain, depending on use.  My murky pools are never empty, thus it doesn't matter.  Or they're always dry, and similarly it doesn't matter.  But any widescale whole-map changes will cause drag.  Not sure if that's due to a bug (like ghosts were) or simply a regular CPU intensive function.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:51:45 pm »

A solution to that would be to simply prevent pools from refiling by placing a roof/floor on top of them. Any wide-scale fluid/gas movement drains FPS considerably.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:13:16 am »

A solution to that would be to simply prevent pools from refiling by placing a roof/floor on top of them. Any wide-scale fluid/gas movement drains FPS considerably.
I would... but it's:
  • a major river (i.e. huge)
  • part of my fortress entrance - I drain the river to gain access to the fort (and I can even turn most of the river into a magma moat/trap if I want...)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:27:02 am »

I would... but it's:
  • part of my fortress entrance - I drain the river to gain access to the fort (and I can even turn most of the river into a magma moat/trap if I want...)
Right, what you have is a feature.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:37 am »

Major rivers rape FPS, as far as I know.

And now when you drain them...

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »

I would... but it's:

HRM....Do you have any underground (ie cavern) water movement? Also, just how many animals you have? How many females? Im currently draining my caverns because it was conpletely covered in water in the first place. Adding to this, my female dogs JUST. WOULDNT. STOP. giving birth (literaly every 5min or so, my butchers were overworked) and they had all been asigned to a single short-tempered legendary hammerdwarf.

My FPS was stuck at 19. I set up a pasture inside one of my "drainage pipes" and asssigned them to it and pulled the flood lever.
I used the ensuing flood to create an aritificial waterfal and suprisingly no dwarf became lower than "Content". Afterwards It was just a matter of dealing with the never-ending flow of water from the map edges and several cave-ins later that is mostly solved. I got my FPS back at least.

There are many ways to increase FPS even with a mayor river. Look into here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:25 pm »

I don't usually have any problems with fps. It's just odd that when it rains my fps drops that badly - when I am draining the river and literally have an entire major river  flowing down into the caverns I have more fps than when it rains...

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »

If it gets too bad you could always turn off weather unless you dont mind the sporadic horrible lag.

Im suspect its being caused by the rain interacting withthe river so a roof over a maror portion of the river might help.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12:23 am »

Liquid flows destroy FPS. A major river is the last place you'd want to embark.

Rain adds water to any water tile it impacts, which includes drained murky ponds. A little bit of extra water on top of a major river will cause your CPU to strain very hard to decide where that 1/7th of a layer of water will go and what it will do. In the future, heavy rains might cause a river to overflow. Right now, it tries very hard to do that now, but it never does and its a major strain on your FPS.

Don't embark on rivers. Especially not major rivers, if you want to keep the game going more then a 10 FPS.