Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The 67th anniversary of D-day.  (Read 5277 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The 67th anniversary of D-day.
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:08 am »

Unless you are invading France, such as in THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR TWO!
:D
For some reason, that rerail made me very giggly. In a good way.

I think, given the spirit of things, I'll create a thread for the 22nd of June.

You can work out for yourselves why that's an important date, in context.
2 days from my birthday?
Love, scriver~

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:51 am »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »

Anyway, war is nothing but a duel on a larger scale. Each combatant seeks to make the other do his will. The fastest way to end a war is to lose, and the fastest way to win a war is to render your opponent unable to resist so that he will do your will rather than suffer a further weakening of his position. Depending upon the political objective being sought by the war, the disposition of your own and the enemy's forces, the national resources at each's disposal, the moral factors in the populations and in the armies, etc, wars are conducted in a myriad of ways. A war of total annihilation is quite different from a border dispute, a nation marching against a longstanding enemy is more vigorous than one trudging to honor a weak unwelcome treaty obligation, and an enemy force controlled and raised by the state behaves quite differently from partisans resisting a foreign occupation when the national leadership signs an instrument of surrender. Thus it is not always, and in fact rarely is, in the favor of an invader to devastate the country he is in unless his political goals call for the destruction as an objective in and of itself. An occupier always prefers an apathetic populace to one in arms against countless injustices by his garrisons.

So Chaos, I must generally disagree with you. May I recommend a little reading on the subject?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »

I think that you're skirting the question of rapid dominance, Nikov, with the preconditions that it's a tool for destroying a lesser army with the minimum of friendly casualties and in the minimum of time.

Of course, major points for posting Clausewitz (On War is about a thousand times more relevant than Art of War, if the topic of discussion is anything other than a very very narrow list of things)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »

THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR TWO (and I don't normally quote this jackass...)

Spoiler: Godwin's Event Horizon (click to show/hide)

Probably the most hubris ever collected in one letter.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »

70 years ago today, Hitler fell prey to the ultimate classic blunder: never match wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Sorry, the *second* most classic blunder: he got involved in a land war in Asia. Operation Barbarossa, which began on June 22, 1941, would ultimately be a strategic failure resulting in the Eastern Front (Ostfront), a meat-grinder which would claim some 5 million Axis soldiers and anywhere from 7 million to 20 million Soviet lives. The six-month operation itself ranks as one of the bloodiest military operations in history, with a combined casualty count somewhere between 1.4 million and 5 million.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 12:44:43 pm »

Tradition and legend dictates that a great power will do it every 100 year, give or take a few decades. Means that it will happen in the next few tenyears. As of now, it seems most likely to happen to USA, given that it is really the last superpower, but I guess China or India would be good suggestions in the future as well. It will be fun watching it unfold again, at least.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2011, 12:57:49 pm »

Umm...last time I checked we were already in TWO land wars in Asia. Granted, they're more counter-insurgencies than stand-up wars, but it's still a lot of the same problems--vast distances, stretched supply lines, rugged terrain, unfriendly local populace, etc.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »

Uhm.. Yeah. But I meant Russia ;)

edit: that is, I thought you said Russia. But it seems you didn't. My mind plays tricks on me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:10:16 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

And to be fair, pretty much the entirely of the Eastern Front was in the "European" portion of Russia (west of the Urals). But the same basic problem applied. Huge strategic depth for the defender, terrifyingly long supply lines for the attacker (in part because of a lack of effective ports to bring materiel in through).

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »

It's Operation Barbarossa Day! Everyone go play Red Orchestra.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:30 am »

I think, given the spirit of things, I'll create a thread for the 22nd of June.

You can work out for yourselves why that's an important date, in context.
2 days from my birthday?

I missed it, because I had somewhere to be that morning, but what I was going to do was commemorate the original D-Day, as on the 22nd of June, 1898 the US staged their first naval invasion, invading Cuba via Daiquiri Beach. The operation was successful, as there was nobody there after the fleet scared away the defenders. Which was good, because given the way the operation was carried out, even a few hundred defenders stayed, they could have caused "a terrible slaughter".

So yeah. The Marines birthday, I guess? Semper Fi and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]