Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious  (Read 6860 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:45 am »

Also, I think there might be a plot hole in that world gen described in the 06/05/2011 notes.  It says that Imbo Trussedringed fled the village in the year 63.  But when he came back, "People recognized him as the former high priest and were shocked at his 129 years of life" (the year 137, since he was born on the year 8 ).  Someone who was 10 years old in the year 63 would have to be 84 years old to recognize the former high priest.  Isn't that a bit too old for a human in a pre-modern medicine era?  So how exactly did they recognize him?  (I'm assuming he's human, since 129 years old isn't too shocking for dwarves.)

So, am I missing something or is that a plot hole?

It's not too farfetched. Humans in the DF world are pretty long-lived, mostly because there really isn't any disease yet. The only deaths are due to violent acts or old age.
Human max age is anywhere between 60-120... so 84 is actually below median. So there's certainly people who are still alive that remember him.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 03:26:11 am »

Oral histories were quiet prevalent in older cultures - pretty much the only way to transmit knowledge from generation to generation.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 08:14:21 am »

Also: he was a High Priest

I bet half of temple was filled with his portraits.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 08:23:07 am »

Garthok Soulstealer, Unholy Lord of the Undead: Linda, do I have any appointments today?
Linda: No, sir, though there is an angry mob here to see you.

That post has me in a severe fit of the giggles.  "Now, dammit, I know Sam's dead...."
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 08:28:08 am »

"Hey guys I think Our Necromancer Overlord might be suspicious"
"Why is that Zombie number 122815?"
"Because he doesn't age at all! I mean, our flesh has the decency to fall off. His doesn't."
"Your accusation is clearlly sound. I can tell this from having seen a few zombies in my time, and can now safley assume that Our Necromaner overlord is indeed suspicious. So what suspicious things has he been doing?"
"Raising the Dead, apparrently. I don't beleive that though."
"Look Urist Zombie, your five hundered years dead, maybe you could just let it go-? No? well, we'll have to look into that enteirly suspicious action."
"Zombie rights!"
"Look Urist, I told you, Zombies are dead, they don't have rights, but they do have necormantic rites, which is different."
"I hope that suspicious Necromancer dies of a horrible deadly dust for making zombies"
"Urist, your logic is impossible to deal with. What kind of zombie are you anyway?"
"I think I was once a Cave Troll"

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

"Hey guys I think Our Necromancer Overlord might be suspicious"
"Why is that Zombie number 122815?"
"Because he doesn't age at all! I mean, our flesh has the decency to fall off. His doesn't."
"Your accusation is clearlly sound. I can tell this from having seen a few zombies in my time, and can now safley assume that Our Necromaner overlord is indeed suspicious. So what suspicious things has he been doing?"
"Raising the Dead, apparrently. I don't beleive that though."
"Look Urist Zombie, your five hundered years dead, maybe you could just let it go-? No? well, we'll have to look into that enteirly suspicious action."
"Zombie rights!"
"Look Urist, I told you, Zombies are dead, they don't have rights, but they do have necormantic rites, which is different."
"I hope that suspicious Necromancer dies of a horrible deadly dust for making zombies"
"Urist, your logic is impossible to deal with. What kind of zombie are you anyway?"
"I think I was once a Cave Troll"
wat the goddamn sig limits
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 11:20:00 am »

Random Citizens: "Hey, did you hear the story of the old high priest, Imbo Trussedringed?? They say that he was cursed to become an undying, bloodsucking monster, murdered a bunch of people, and was finally driven away!"
Vampire Ex-High Priest: "Yeah, I heard that story. By the way, I'm Imbo Trussedringed, and I'll be your bloodsucking tyrant today!"
Random Citizens: "Oh, you're the old high priest! Crap, he really did become an undying, bloodsucking monster!"

Not much of a plot hole... People do tell stories to their children, you know.
Yeah, but what kind of fool uses his real name in a world where being suspected of being a vampire tends to get an angry mob after you?  Seems like that's the kind of thing that you might not want to mention.

Besides, it said, "People recognized him as the former high priest and were shocked at his 129 years of life[.]"  I'd take that as they recognized him by his appearance, not by his name.

It's not too farfetched. Humans in the DF world are pretty long-lived, mostly because there really isn't any disease yet. The only deaths are due to violent acts or old age.
Human max age is anywhere between 60-120... so 84 is actually below median. So there's certainly people who are still alive that remember him.
Ah... Then I guess the problem is with them being shocked that he lived a mere 9 years longer than the max, assuming enough people actually survive to die of old age.

Citizen #1: "Imbo Trussedringed is back?!?  Why he must be... lessee... he fled in the year 63, and it's 137 now, so... <pulls out calculator> that's 74 years, and he was 55 when he left, so... <hits some keys> he's 129 now.  Um... Old Bob lived to be 120, which means that... <hits more keys>  MY GOD!  He's 7.5% older than Old Bob was!  He's a MONSTER!"
Citizen #2: "I dunno... I'd wait to see if he lives to be 130 first.  Once he hits 130 then I'll be worried."

;D

Also: he was a High Priest

I bet half of temple was filled with his portraits.
Yeah, was filled, until they found out he was literally a bloodthirsty monster.  You tend not to leave portraits up that remind people that one of your high priests was evil... you know, if you're a good religion, that is.   :P

The thing that should really be shocking would be that he's that old and still looks like he was 45 years old (when he was cursed), but I don't know if there are any indications of aging in the game once you reach adulthood.  That's assuming that vampirism prevents further aging.

Anyways, not as much of a plot hole as I thought, assuming that there were people still alive to recognize him and/or if he was foolish enough to use his real name.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:21:38 am by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »

1) Yeah, but what kind of fool uses his real name in a world where being suspected of being a vampire tends to get an angry mob after you?  Seems like that's the kind of thing that you might not want to mention.

2)Ah... Then I guess the problem is with them being shocked that he lived a mere 9 years longer than the max, assuming enough people actually survive to die of old age.

Citizen #1: "Imbo Trussedringed is back?!?  Why he must be... lessee... he fled in the year 63, and it's 137 now, so... <pulls out calculator> that's 74 years, and he was 55 when he left, so... <hits some keys> he's 129 now.  Um... Old Bob lived to be 120, which means that... <hits more keys>  MY GOD!  He's 7.5% older than Old Bob was!  He's a MONSTER!"
Citizen #2: "I dunno... I'd wait to see if he lives to be 130 first.  Once he hits 130 then I'll be worried."

;D

3) Yeah, was filled, until they found out he was literally a bloodthirsty monster.  You tend not to leave portraits up that remind people that one of your high priests was evil... you know, if you're a good religion, that is.   :P

4) The thing that should really be shocking would be that he's that old and still looks like he was 45 years old (when he was cursed), but I don't know if there are any indications of aging in the game once you reach adulthood.  That's assuming that vampirism prevents further aging.

1) What kind of fool you ask? Anyone in DF world, I answer.
2) answer to this is 4), actually
3) Yet again, WE tend not to leave... Any DF world resident tend to leave every crappy piece of art where it is.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 01:07:32 am »

What if they were only fine, or even *gasp* NO QUALITY engravings? Don't engravers only get mad when you destroy masterwork ones?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:30 am »

Urist mcbraaaains cancels eat self: object inaccessible.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:19 am »

Urist mcbraaaains cancels eat self: object inaccessible.

Urist McZombie cancels eat own brains: job item misplaced.

Works better.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 11:29:31 am »

This does bring up an interesting possibility though: What if a necromancer loses control of his minions and is forced to relocate to a different tower, leaving a massive fortress full of zombies behind unchecked. It could be interesting.

Maybe there could be an undead civil war, even if the necromancer doesn't lose all control. If the tower is only filled with zombies, perhaps the ones with some brains left would be more likely to start thinking and gathering fellow half-brained fellows to oust the necromancer, or organize the tower for the 'mancer in some way. The brainless ones would not be able to be persuaded, being completely mindless.

Perhaps it would be over the use of zombies as slaves?

Confederate zombie: The Necromancer is our lord and protector!
Union zombie: We must free the zombies!
Urist Mclincoln: My fellow Zombies, I think I speak for all of us when I say: BRAIIIIIINNSSSS.
Blargh.
Pages: 1 2 [3]