Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should all rooms be zones, like the hospital  (Read 3595 times)

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should all rooms be zones, like the hospital
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:20:17 am »

Why is it that, to make a hospital, I have to define a zone, but not to define a bedroom ? What's so different about the two rooms ?

Should all rooms be set by zones ?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:16:26 am by johnson21 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Why is the hospital a "zone" ?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:22:12 am »

Why is it that, to make a hospital, I have to define a zone, but not to define a bedroom ? What's so different about the two rooms ?

Should all rooms be set by zones ?
Having all rooms as zones would be interesting, but the main reason the hospital is a zone, I believe, is so you can set what and how much of the medical supplies to store there. Normal rooms don't allow such options IIRC.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the hospital a "zone" ?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:46:14 am »

You're right, the hospital is a little more complicated than a bedroom.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:35:10 am by johnson21 »

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should all rooms be zones, like the hospital
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:31:25 am »

I'd certainly like to see kitchen zones. Put in furniture like ovens, tables, pestle and mortar and so on. A lot of the current workshops could probably be broken down like this. It would let you place your forges magma heat exchangers over channels in arbitrary positions for example.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48:05 am »

With bedroom as zones, a nice feature would be to be able to see which dwarves do not have a bedroom assigned yet.

It could work exactly like pastures.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:11:17 am »

Normal rooms don't allow such options IIRC.
Barracks is a normal room, defined from furniture, and does allow quite heavy customizing.

So the real reason is different, and I suspect the reason is "because Toady made it so". :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:48 am »

ISTR the idea of zone-like workshops alread being a future development position.  And the last time I said something like that (regarding somehting else) someone immediately posted the devlog item containing the idea involved that if I hadn't been lazy I would have found and could have posted myself. :)

One thing that zones don't have (in their current incarnation, and ignoring the inherent nature of pasture-zones) is that there isn't the same Permissability (by dwarf and/or skill level) in current zones.  Probably because they don't need them[1], and I'm sure it could be added, just like some of the other zones (pit/pond, and indeed hospital) have their own configuration settings.

But it might easily lead the way to having more than one anvil in a metalsmiths and allow for directed apprenticeships of up-and-coming metalworkers by their more experienced colleages.  Or a production line of gem cutting and setting.  Or perhaps even a hybrid workshop?  (Stone block maker giving directly onto the stone furniture carver...)  But that'd be increasingly more code needed to implement.

[1] The only example of needing it I could think of was "Only professional or better fisherdwarfs may use this bit of the river!" assignments, probably next to the "Beware Of The Pike" slab. :)

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:16 am »

I wasn't even thinking about workshop zones :)

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:51 am »

With bedroom as zones, a nice feature would be to be able to see which dwarves do not have a bedroom assigned yet.

When you attempt to assign a bedroom, you are given a list of dwarves. Those that already have a bedroom are displayed in brown, while homeless dwarves are displayed in green.

That said, I'd rather if bedrooms weren't defined with activity zones, because that would greatly increase the time it takes to define 200+ bedrooms. Right now, if a bedroom is small enough, "r" -> "enter" is sufficient to completely define the room. Switching to an activity zone model would require more keys.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:44 am »

I would love to be able to designate workshops from a single item within them.

That way, you could put down workshop-specific items and designate a workshop room from them. For example: Build an anvil, designate a forge from it, put down tables, bins, and more anvils in the room. You can then order jobs from the forge, and they all get done by the room, meaning that multiple dwarves can work in the room, each using a different anvil, and each pulling jobs from the room's job list.

This would also remove the 'Urist McHissyFit has toppled an entire workshop with his bare hands!' messages and change them to 'knocked over an anvil' messages.

I think the current, object-based workshops are just a hangover from when the game was much simpler.
[Signature]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:08 am »

slight derail, but I just noticed this, which I'll take out of context in asking that as well as the pasture-menu indicating which creatures are tethered (and caged), can the tether-assignation menu indicate creatures that are pastured?

Pre-pastures, I used to use ropes of different colours to grab a so far untethered/caged creature of the type I was looking for (indicated by having no cage/tether assignation).  When it was at the rope, I could check its qualities (gender, relative size, etc) and then go to the red "to be bitchered" tethers and assign the one I'd just examine.  Or go to the green "to breed from" and do likewise.  Or go to the quantum cage and drag in the not-quite-dregs that fell between the two camps.

With pastures, I can tell in the pasture menu if it's already pastured (though not in which one), or caged (as with ropes, colour coding can help, but I rarely control the cage colour like I do the tethers), or tethered.  But the tether (and perhaps the cage, but I don't use them much, since pastures) can only see tether and cage assignations (or potential ones, if one the way there).

I've also a strange feeling, though not yet fully tested, that a creature can be assigned to both a rope and a pasture and end up being dragged between them.

Anyway, not really part of the subject at hand, but for some reason I thought I'd say something here anyway.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:17:48 am »

I think a zone workshop would be nice if you could somehow legitimize input/output stockpiles. This way the worker would only use the items found in the input stockpile (unless empty). Could be an easier way of controlling production.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 02:09:28 pm »

I've also a strange feeling, though not yet fully tested, that a creature can be assigned to both a rope and a pasture and end up being dragged between them.

It can, I've had it happen.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:16 am »

I'd rather if bedrooms weren't defined with activity zones, because that would greatly increase the time it takes to define 200+ bedrooms. Right now, if a bedroom is small enough, "r" -> "enter" is sufficient to completely define the room. Switching to an activity zone model would require more keys.

But if you had a bedrooms zone that makes every room with a bed in it a bedroom that would be much quicker. Especially if you could assign that zone like a burrow with multiple z-levels and so on.

I think a zone workshop would be nice if you could somehow legitimize input/output stockpiles. This way the worker would only use the items found in the input stockpile (unless empty). Could be an easier way of controlling production.

Well hospitals effectively have their own internal stockpiles if you build containers in the room. With some workshops it would be good to define stockpiles inside and have options like prefer internal stockpile/ only use internal stockpile. Or auto process internal stockpile (would be good for smelters).
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:02 am »

But if you had a bedrooms zone that makes every room with a bed in it a bedroom that would be much quicker. Especially if you could assign that zone like a burrow with multiple z-levels and so on.
This is what I want. :)
Pages: [1] 2