Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Tabletop RPGs: What do you like and why?  (Read 6927 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop RPGs: What do you like and why?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:02 pm »

Knowledge of the game's rules beyond character generation is forbidden to players and the laws of Alpha Complex mandate immediate termination and flushing of anyone who displays knowledge of the rules.

Actually, that's only partly true.  The game's rules are classified Ultra-violet.

A friend of mine (ah, Jim, is there anything you haven't done?) actually achieved that rank in a game, thus was allowed to read the rules.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »

I'm running a game of GURPS at the moment, and if there is one thing I can say about GURPS is that with enough work, you can add anything in, like shields with guns attached to them. A lot of people tend to find the character creation takes long, but I generally think that gurps lite is a great way of starting off, since it limits everything to a need to know basis. That said, I'd encourage players to find advantages in the core book once they have their basic chasis for their character down, but I find it can lend itself to anything.

Working on a zombie apocalypse scenario for it, and I plan on adding everything from sprinters to shufflers to special infected. And would ideally just need the GURPS lite rules to run.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »

I still like AD&D. I've tried the newer versions and eh....I feel like I'm playing rules ripped directly from a video game. I've never had problems with the AD&D rules set. You accept all sorts of abstractions when you play TT games, it's just a matter of which ones you accept and which ones you reject. To me the big difference in AD&D and "Nu" D&D is the power scale. It's vastly overinflated on the player's end. AD&D could be very unforgiving if your D&D merely exercised restraint. Power growth was relatively slow for the first 6 levels, casters especially. "Nu" D&D kind of says "nah, let's build a ton of power directly into the early game and get the juices flowing." I'm always baffled when people say AD&D inhibits roleplaying while Nu D&D compliments it....Nu D&D structures a hell of a lot more and offers way more numbers candy for players and min/maxing. I don't see how that results in better roleplaying. Proponents of Nu D&D always tell me I can change what I don't like...and it's the same reason they don't play AD&D. No one picks up a ruleset so they can be forced to retcon half the shit they don't like.

Love old WoD, always will. I would just like to run a serious game of it sometime. And by serious, I mean preludes and all that. Characters with purpose. Everytime I try to play WoD, people treat it like another RPG in the WoD setting, rather than trying to play it as a WoD game. They never like intrigue or politics, they just want to fight their supernatural and get their supernatural on. There's so much more to the setting than that, but everyone rejects it as too emo or over-written. Parts of it are both of those things, but people often reject a lot about WoD except the specific mechanics. And even then they'll get pissed about stuff like Humanity. That's stuff is all fodder for roleplaying that, sadly, no one I introduce to WoD wants to engage in.

Haven't played a ton of New Shadowrun but I liked what I did play (messy ass abstractions that half the game is.) I agree that Shadowrun has always been a lil goofy but never failed to be awesome. I remember picking up my first book in a gaming store back in the 90s, and being mesmerized by that skull logo and banner work. It just looked so ominous and bad ass. The rules have always been a mess and the setting funky to say the least, but within the funk are tons of isolated pockets of awesome. Like Dunkelzan.

RIFTS is the same way as Shadowrun, only with an EVEN WORSE SYSTEM. I can't play RIFTS despite my desire to. It's got a flexible character system akin to GURPS, and some of the most awesome character classes ever, like Juicers, Ley Line Walkers and Glitterboys. But the meta rules system is a total train wreck, as it tries to address situations like what happens when conventional weaponry butts up against super structures and non-conventional materials. So you get situations like, how much damage would a fly do to a dragon, or get sucked into working out the mathematics of how much damage a nuclear blast could do a city-wide block if each structure has an MDC of X.

Love CoC. It's one of the few games where failure is an option and the best failure wins the game. It's always refreshing to play an RPG that isn't focused on character advancement and loot. Even people I know that hate "losing" love CoC.

Warhammer Fantasy Role-playing. Haven't played much of it, but I know the rule book pretty well by now and want to run a lite campaign sometime. I like it partly because I like the Warhammer Fantasy World, and there's just a few things about the rule system I find fun, like the career paths and magic system.

Hackmaster is ridiculous fun of the D&D variety. It lampoons the D&D system at many turns while managing to make the rules even more tangled. But it's got so many funny things going on, like dying in character creation. I can take Hackmaster in small doses. People that are drawn to Hackmaster over other things tend to concern me as gamers though.

The Middle-Earth Roleplaying Game. Really old, totally out of print now I imagine. I don't remember a lot of it, but I remember some pretty kick ass critical hit charts and some interesting ways in which your race interacted with your class to produce your skills.

Legend of the Five Rings. By far one of the most polished and interesting RPGs I've ever played. I started originally with the CCG. You have to like Feudal Japanese Culture and Mythology to get into the setting, but once you've gotten beyond that the setting is amazing. The clans are ultra detailed and offer multiple ways to represent them, it's got court intrigue and politics, crazy ass Japanese magic belief systems and monsters, and the rules have their own execution that's just unique from so many other TT RPGs. And the artwork is gorgeous, pretty much across all the books. Of all the games I would most readily jump into, a Legend of the Five Rings game would be the first.

Dead Lands. The Wild West meets Call of Cthulhu, sort of. It's another game that really does it's own thing with rules, incorporating playing cards and all sorts of other junk. I sometimes struggle with it but I haven't played a ton of it. The setting is mostly what I play for, at times I find the rules a little over developed for the sake of being intricate or different.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 03:53:10 pm »

I haven't actually played any tabletop RPGs, mainly because there is not too much people around where I live that plays such things. I have read a bit GURPS and FUDGE basic rulebooka, because I want to give it a go.
Is there anyone around here who would be up for a game online (pbem or live) sometime during the summer, with some beginner friendly rule system?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

Like Dunkelzan.

* Draco18s whispers, "It's "Dunkelzahn.  There's an 'h' in there."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:28 pm »

Do you also enjoy playing Spelling Nazi: The Correctioning? :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:48 pm »

Do you also enjoy playing Spelling Nazi: The Correctioning? :P

I do. <3
And I'll be the first to admit that I make mistakes too.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »

The Middle-Earth Roleplaying Game. Really old, totally out of print now I imagine. I don't remember a lot of it, but I remember some pretty kick ass critical hit charts and some interesting ways in which your race interacted with your class to produce your skills.

Yeah, by Iron Crown Enterprises.  This was actually built on the "Role Master" system.  Colloquially known as "Chart Master".  As the moniker implies, a royal pain in the ass to GM -- But it did have a loyal following.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 02:45:44 am »

Love CoC.

Even people I know that hate "losing" love CoC.

Heh heh heh...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 04:18:07 am »

I started roleplaying with Role Master, back when I was 14-15. Other games were easy to learn after that. :P

Regarding sucking system... I've found that, as a rule, systems that suck are too complicated. There are two aspects to this. First, player perception. In some systems, it is just impossible to do anything fast. Everything requires lots of rolling. This is especially annoying if the combat system is very deadly, but the game is supposed to be adventurous and creating a characters takes an eternity. Simple systems, like Savage Worlds, often lack some options, but at least the rules don't block the game.

Second, GM perception. Too complicated systems often require too much time to prepare. Basically, you need loads of time to create NPCs etc. Now, some GMs enjoy playing with rules like that. I don't. Story and atmosphere are paramount to me; rules are just the necessary evil. If I ever feel the rules come in way of the story and atmosphere, it is time to change system.

Thus, for example, I'm happy to play GURPS but I'd never ever ever ever GM anything with GURPS.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:13:41 am by Majestic7 »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 06:43:35 am »

Regarding sucking system... I've found that, as a rule, systems that suck are too complicated. There are two aspects to this. First, player perception. In some systems, it is just impossible to do anything fast. Everything requires lots of rolling. This is especially annoying if the combat system is very deadly, but the game is supposed to be adventurous and creating a characters takes an eternity. Simple systems, like Savage Worlds, often lack some options, but at least the rules don't block the game.

This reminds me about something else, how often do you guys use computers (even the Embedded OS of a Mobile Phone) to help roll dice or aid with other game aspects? Obviously if you play online with Map Tools or another program this functionality comes in-built with the method so I'm asking about live person-to-person usage. It seems like with the availability of mobile computers some of the more complicated systems might actually be more playable than they were a decade ago. Hybridizing between a computer game and classic pen and paper could be a major tabletop revolution. Get the agency of a live game with a computer's immense calculation ability. We've all probably used normal calculators before but now we can get custom apps for our games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:08:05 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 07:44:31 am »

If I get super rich one day, I'll build a gaming room. It will feature a big table with a battlemat on it and computer consoles sunk in the table. GM can then send private messages through the screens to the players through that internal network. Oh and of course there is a video projector and surround sound system for images and background music. :P

I honestly think rolling dice is more fun than using any kind of program. I run games from the computer, using it for music and keeping notes. Sometimes even staying in touch with a player the other players don't know about. :P Other than that, nope. Some systems would benefit from that, though. I'd still leave the dice rolling to actual dice, but it would be nice to get the rest calculated. Plus many systems with complicated character generation really benefit from character generation tools. GURPS and Ars Magica, for example, I've used those as player.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:59 am »

I honestly think rolling dice is more fun than using any kind of program.

I mostly feel the same, but for the really large dice pools, it's nice to have a "fast mode".
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 08:37:12 am »

This reminds me about something else, how often do you guys use computers (even the Embedded OS of a Mobile Phone) to help roll dice or aid with other game aspects? Obviously if you play online with Map Tools or another program this functionality comes in-built with the method so I'm asking about live person-to-person usage.

A friend of mine (current GM) has an iPad that he's loaded with books.  He also has a dice-roller on it, although it's rarely used (you have to shake the iPad to roll the dice).  We prefer real dice, but sometimes can't get our hands on them.

For the game I was running (finished about two weeks ago) I had compiled a flash application to help track a lot of info that was scattered throughout the module I was running so I'd have it all in one place.  Including maps that I could mask out unexplored areas (which ended up a system resource hog) and a dice roller (which I ended up hating, simply because of its inflexibility; it took a few seconds to change from one statistic set to another--e.g. from 1d20+18 to 3d6+4 and back).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:14 am »

Always loved and always will love GURPS. Playing it on and off since I was a kid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5