Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Netbooks, Airplanes and Adventure mode  (Read 996 times)

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
Netbooks, Airplanes and Adventure mode
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

I'll be leaving on a trip involving a fair bit of air and car travel this Friday.  I have a netbook, and would like to try out adventure mode to keep me entertained.  I've got a few questions.

1)  How processor hungry is adventure mode, is it playable with 1.66 Gz?

2)  Is there an alternate laptop control scheme, or should I buy a usb numpad, or just use the numlock on my netbook(which turns the right hand side of the keyboard into a numpad)?

3)  Is there a way for me to make wikibook or something from the wiki?  I'm assuming I'll have no internet and lots of questions while in the plane/car, and being able to easily download lots of helpful guides and info would be wonderful.(I'm compiling a list of pages below)

Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

A few more questions that occurred to me:

4)  How would I go about making/using macros?  Can anyone point me to a good tutorial?

For those of you wanting to try adventure mode without the benefit of internet, here's my list of useful wiki pages so far:

DF2010:Adventure Mode quick reference - A guide to the keybindings used in adventure mode, I plan on printing this one.
DF2010:Adventurer mode - This article does an excellent job of covering the ins and outs of Adventure Mode.  This alone would work fine in a pinch, or if you have only a few scant minutes of internet access to get info.
DF2010:Adventure Mode quick start - Condensed and abbreviated version of the above, shockingly enough aimed at getting you started, quickly.  More newb-specific info and tips than the main article.
DF2010:Wrestling - Something I'd very much like to do in adventure mode, this article walks you through some basic maneuvers.  If someone could point me to a more comprehensive accounting of wrestling(or simply let me know that such a thing would be unneccesary), that would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:11:37 pm by Yalishandaw »
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Netbooks, Airplanes and Adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »

1.) Not very; it's turn-based, so unless you go to an abandoned fort with an automatic cave-in trap that was left running or something, you're fine.

2.) Arrow keys, and for me at least numbers on the top of the keyboard.

3.) Not to my knowledge, but I don't even know what a wikibook is, not had I heard of one until now, so don't ask me.  :-[
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

Err, just looked up wikibooks and I think I'm talking about the wrong thing, nevermind.

I guess I'll start by downloading these, and look for others.  Any suggestions for pages I should DL/information I should have are quite welcome!
Adventure Mode quick reference
Adventure mode quick start
Adventurer mode

Ooh, that reminds me, are there any world saves available with a whole mess of abandoned forts to explore and loot?  That'd be swell.
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

You might want to search for "Fill up the world" in the Community Games/Stories board. Basically, they tried to make a bunch of forts just for adventurers.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:06 pm »

You might want to search for "Fill up the world" in the Community Games/Stories board. Basically, they tried to make a bunch of forts just for adventurers.
Wasn't that back in 40d? Well, not like there's anything wrong with 40d.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:24:28 pm »

On my netbook (also a 1.6ghz atom), you can use the Fn key to get at the pseudo-numpad around the k-key without having to toggle.
Fn-L to walk right for example.  Let go of the Fn, and L is L again.

You'll notice some slowdown in villages, particularly if you're sneaking unskillfully and the entire populace gets 6 moves to your 1.

The CPU load will tend to eat into your battery a bit, but that is to be expected.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:44 am »

Your biggest concern is obviously battery power.

Adventure mode is very CPU friendly compared to Fortress mode since you mostly just walk around aimlessly without any idea of where you are going.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »

I played advent mode for ~3 hours on a flight once.

Battery went from 90 to 20 but it made it. Turn down the screen brightness all the way, I guess. I was more worried about the guy sitting near me getting nosy then my battery dying.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:36 am »

"Hey what are you doing?"
"huh? just strangling people to death and using their corpses to kill their children."
 :o

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:21:55 am »

I find that adventure mode seems to get lag while loading on my crappy laptop, and has some key input lag, but it's perfectly usable, since everything is just one step at a time and you usually play at way less than 30fps.
[Signature]