Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic fail  (Read 782 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
Epic fail
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »

I know this probably happened to a shitload of you before but...
A dwarf had withdrawn from society and claimed a leather worker's workshop, but we didn't seem to have any of the materials she needed. Thanks to my time on the wiki I was quick to wall her in in case she went berserk. Sure enough, she did. But she is trapped in her workshop. Shortly afterwords I thought, "Epic fail."
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Epic fail
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »

This is so common that it is not Epic Fail.  Not even Fail.  It's simply fortress life.  Failed moods are common in every fortress.  An epic fail would be walling them in, but accidentally forgetting to lock the door, and having the berzerk dwarf run through your fort, a Legendary+5 miner with a steel pick bashing the skulls of your trained military and pulling the levers that flood your noble's rooms.

Come back with more bloodshed.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:17 pm »

That can be a good thing, sometimes. You only get a certain number of moods or artifacts depending on the number of tiles mined out/ population/ wealth, ect.

If she was going to create some cat leather earring you're probably better off letting her die so somebody else can make something better.

A trick that ususally seemed to work is to have every workshop in its own room, with a door that can be locked. Lock up a moody dwarf and see what their demands are. If he's only screaming for a single cheap thing like wood or leather, I don't unlock the door and assign some wardogs to them. If it seems interesting, I forbid all the cheap stuff in the fortress so they can grab the yellow diamonds, GCS silk and steel, ect.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:47 pm »

I like getting legendary leatherworkers though.  Fantastic armor for my civilians!

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:36:14 pm »

This is so common that it is not Epic Fail.  Not even Fail.  It's simply fortress life.  Failed moods are common in every fortress.  An epic fail would be walling them in, but accidentally forgetting to lock the door, and having the berzerk dwarf run through your fort, a Legendary+5 miner with a steel pick bashing the skulls of your trained military and pulling the levers that flood your noble's rooms.

Quote from: Toady One
Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.
It kinda sounded like you were trolling there.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »

Not my intention.  It's just that this is like when someone says their miner killed an elk bird.  Elk birds are kinda lame, and miners have high skill with a weapon (their pick) so that's not really saying much.  If the miner had accidentally killed three blind cave ogres and a deadly dust forgotten beast and then walked away to eat more mushrooms, that would be worth bragging about.  A failed mood just isn't very interesting.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:47:08 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.
It kinda sounded like you were trolling there.
It sounds like you're trolling here. That, or whining. It wasn't meant to be a direct insult or anything; she was describing commonalities of dwarven life vs. failure and bloodshed. (The two tend to intersect quite often.)

More on topic, that would be an immense failure from the dwarf's point of view.
Spend all of your life doing simple and mostly meaningless tasks. One day, sudden inspiration strikes you. You may very well make one of the best items the world has ever seen! The thought literally possesses you.
You get to your workshop, material list fully in mind. But the materials are nowhere to be found! It's too late to turn back, though. You must wait for what you need.
While you wait, a wall is erected around you. You barely notice. The madness is starting to consume you.
After a time, you can't take it anymore. You lose all sanity, the need to live gone now that you can't make this amazing item. You rot away the rest of your miserable existence in this walled workshop.

It seems to be a pretty epic fail when you think about it that way.
Amusing when you consider how often failed moods happen.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:11:50 pm »

It sounds like you're trolling here. That, or whining. It wasn't meant to be a direct insult or anything; she was describing commonalities of dwarven life vs. failure and bloodshed. (The two tend to intersect quite often.)
Actually, you're right. I suppose I misunderstood her.
More on topic, that would be an immense failure from the dwarf's point of view.
Spend all of your life doing simple and mostly meaningless tasks. One day, sudden inspiration strikes you. You may very well make one of the best items the world has ever seen! The thought literally possesses you.
You get to your workshop, material list fully in mind. But the materials are nowhere to be found! It's too late to turn back, though. You must wait for what you need.
While you wait, a wall is erected around you. You barely notice. The madness is starting to consume you.
After a time, you can't take it anymore. You lose all sanity, the need to live gone now that you can't make this amazing item. You rot away the rest of your miserable existence in this walled workshop.

It seems to be a pretty epic fail when you think about it that way.
Amusing when you consider how often failed moods happen.
That is what I meant when I posted this, good work!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:15:59 pm by Audioworm333 »