Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which option would you prefer when it comes to radio communication?

A: Every Squad can talk to each other freely.
- 8 (34.8%)
B: Only Squads with radiomen can talk to one another without sending a runner for updates.
- 15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Charlie Company 40k (W40k meets 'Nam) - Creating Mission 2, sign up if you like!  (Read 20721 times)

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie Company 40k (Warhammer 40k meets 'Nam) - Briefing time!
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »

That would make this whole operation a lot safer once we get to the 'clear booby-traps and mines' portion of the mission.

That's what the civilians are for, never seen the last Rambo movie? xD

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »

Rather than edit I'll just put up a new post since there have been a few since I put anything up. See below for the game plan. Read below for the game plan with added fluff!

Lemartes slapped a map down on the table, his crude scratchings covering the surface of it. He looked up at his sergeants, careful to look each of them in the eye for a second.

"Okay men, we're approaching marker Alpha Bravo 34. HQ claims it's only occupants are the local villagers, but I'd rather not lose any men to hidden assailants, so we're going to run this as a by the book clear and secure operation.

Squad 1 will advance in patrol formation through objectives Zulu and Gamma, heading for Objective Beta.

Squad 3 will advance through the rice patties, flushing out any rebels who may be attempting to spring an ambush. You'll also be heading to Objective Beta and will be responsible for providing Squad 1 with covering fire if necessary.

That forest is an ideal place for snipers to be hiding so I'm sending Squad 2 up and across the hill to clear it. You'll be heading for Objective Alpha.

The support team will advance the Objective Sierra and set up shop on the edge of those woods. They should be able to provide Objective Alpha with covering fire, and they'll be in the perfect location to cut down any enemy troops that get flushed out onto the road.

The HQ squad will move up to Objective Foxtrot and commandeer that hut as a base of operations. We'll also be a reserve force in case the fighting gets too heavy in any of the other areas.

Remember, we want to minimize civilian casualties, so don't fire unless they are directly threatening you. HQ is also expecting booby traps and possibly mines on the road. However some frakkin' officer decided we don't need any mine clearing gear so just keep your eyes peeled and your wits about you.

Cadet Hostilian has decided to attach to the support squad for the time being. Sgt. Loken I expect you'll keep him out of the line of fire? Just don't let him slow you down.

Sgt. Rook, you'll be taking your men through swamp water. Make sure they know that and prepare ahead of time. I don't want to be slowed down in the future because some half-wit got himself infected with jungle rot.

A final note; you know your squad best. I'm leaving it up to you what formation to advance in, whether you're going to split into fire-teams and whatnot. I know that if we hit enemy resistance this plan is going to go to shit so make sure you keep in contact. If you aren't able to radio for some reason stick to your objective, unless heavily outgunned. In that case we'll want to re-group and try hitting them from another angle.

Hopefully we'll be sitting down having a drink of amasec in about an hour. Let's move out!"

The squad leaders left the tent and Lemartes sat down. His hands were shaking and he quickly took a swig of water. This was his first combat assignment and he had yet to see any actual losses cross his board. He was nervous as hell but also determined to give his family a good name. Shaking off his nervousness he left the tent to start preparing for combat.

Hopefully this all works out...
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »

Good plan!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Carnus walks up to Lemartes afterwards

"Hey, you mind putting a few more support guys on squad 2? I'm thinking an extra man with a las gun and the melta from support. If we catch the shit, we're not going to be able to move much through that thick forest. I'd feel happier knowing I've got extra pow on my side, you dig?"

His face is indifferent. He could actually care less what happens to him. But he owes it to the men serving under him to try.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

Wulfric walked up to his men, and said " Ok you know the objective, and for this mission I want you all soldiers with lazguns in formation around the soldiers with the Grenade Launchers. This way they don't take out our heavy weapons keep your eyes peeled, and keep moving if one of you die on me I will kick you arse the next time I see you understood? " Wulfric's squad shook their heads,a dn two of the newer soldiers had a look of fear in their eyes from his words.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2011, 03:57:20 pm »

Lemartes turned and took in the request. After thinking about it for a few seconds he replied, 'Tell you what, I'll have Sgt. Loken attach the melta to your squad. He's going to need his las-guns for close support in case his position gets assaulted from an unexpected direction, so you'll have to make due with that. Just make sure you don't catch the jungle on fire. This place is enough of a hell without fire and brimstone being added into the mix.'

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »

Excellent write up!

I'll give the players a little bit longer for any questions and then start turn 1!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »

Carnus grunted in affirmation and walked back to squad 2.

"We pulled the short straw this time, boys-we're being sent up into the hills to flush anybody hiding in there. It'll be rough going-and if we find someone, it's gonna get hairy real fast.

Visbility will be low-I'm expecting some close combat, happens we drop right on em. You'll spend the next hour doing knife fighting drills. These guys, they know we have heavy artillery, so they'll stick to us like glue, hug us tight so we can't blast em with our Earthshakers without fucking ourselves. So you will drill with your knives like I say till you can disembowel a reb as easy as you light a smoke.

Keep the eye on the point man-you will keep in fucking formation. When the shit goes down, I don't want us getting strung out and cut to pieces, or more than one of us catching a grenade at once huddled up. Rest assured, if you run, these rebs will hunt you down and cut your goddamn throat. Hell, I'll shoot a man who leaves his squad behind myself, you hear?

You got all that? Good...also, so happens I got our fresh meat Platoon Leader to assign us a melta from support. We'll be ready
..."

Squad orders: We'll advance with our three men with lasguns in front, two in the rear. 1 grenade launcher on our left and right flanks, radioman and melta marine in the middle-hexagon shape. All men keep 10 ft distance from another at all times, no more, no less.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2011, 05:36:47 pm »

Lemartes walked over to Sgt Loken. 'Sergeant can I have a word with you for a minute?' The two walked a short distance from the support squad. 'I'm going to assign your melta gunner to squad 2 for this op. They need the comfort of a heavy weapon covering them while they're stuck up in those dense woods. And to be honest it could come in handy if they run into anything larger than the random sniper. I expect they won't need to make much use of him, but you'll need to send him over there ASAP so he can get himself situated into their squad. That will be all sergeant.'

Walking over to the command group he made a final check over his personal equipment and updating his personal notes on the operation. An hour later he rounded everyone up and the started them on a relaxed march towards the objectives.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

2nd Squad-roster

"Pack up! We're moving out...roll call..."

Sgt. Carnus Tacitus
Corporal Arca Castus

Pvt Paullian Blackheart, on Grenade Launcher
Pvt Hyplion Valence, on Grenade Launcher

Pvt Tranio Belthane on Laz gun
Pvt Laora Jenico on Laz Gun
Pvt Seleucus Elitus Laz Gun

Radio man Estrus Antipatros

---------------------------
Truth was, Carnus wasn't sure how they would react in combat. Arca was a bit too hands off-acted like he'd rather be sitting at a desk rather in the field, but he seemed to be solid under pressure. Tranio was always making jokes and pulling pranks, typically kid stuff. He probably was just trying to show he wasn't nervous.

Paullian and Hyplion were technically his most experienced-at least they had seen a bit of combat against the Orks. This was different than that.

Laora and Selecus were probably having some sort of affair, the way they stuck by each other, the glaces and comments. It was probably going to get one or both of them killed.

Estrus, the Radio man had to be the unluckiest bastard Carnus ever saw. His transport took a hit as he was flying in! He hadn't even touched the ground yet, and they were already shooting at him. He also had an odd tendency to space out and wander out of formation, forget to stow vital equipment, or go to the sleep at the worst time. He figured the man would either die in the next 10 minutes or outlive them all.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:13 pm »

Carneas fought his urge to avoid Lemartes' gaze as they discussed battle plans. The memory of his traitorous sire hung over him whenever he dealt with a superior, as if he was being judged by the actions of his predecessor. It was nothing but paranoia, he knew that... Intellectually.

He forced himself to focus on the briefing itself. This was no time to be gripped by his insecurities. Flushing out rebels in their own turf would serve nicely to prove himself.

Saluting sharply to Lemartes, he turned back to squad 3. His soldiers were enjoying themselves with whatever frivolity they had cooked up this time.. Which they abandoned as soon as their sergeant's dour expression was sighted. "Men, we're to clear out the rice paddies of any hostiles that might be laying in wait. Keep in mind that the terrain will be slippery, and there's no telling what Emperor-forsaken bacterias are swimming around in that water.

I want you to tie up tight the fatigues around you boots. Prevent any water from getting in. Don't move forward unless you have a solid footing, you -cannot- afford a dive into those waters, as our mobility will be severely compromised and we cannot afford to stay in a close formation and invite a grenade our way. There won't be any immediate help if you slip.

We'll be doing synchronized shooting drills until the time we're deployed. We can't afford to go into a melee either. The locals may easily use their experience in swamp fighting to drag us down and gut us like fish. We'll prevent that by gunning the frak out of them if they move so much as an inch towards us. Shoot down the nearest threat, then the next, and then the other one, until they all drop.

One last thing. These are rice paddies, which means we're as likely, if not even more, to run into farmers as we are rebels. Don't shoot until I give the order. We don't need more angry whore sons after our blood than we have right now.

That is all. Drills start now.
"

Squad orders: Lasguns will advance in an irregular spread formation to maximize individual shooting angles. Grenade launchers and medic will trail 15 feet behind to offer fire support and/or assistance to any wounded.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »

((OOC:Bump. I'm pretty sure we're ready to get started. :) ))

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2011, 08:40:40 pm »

((OOC:Bump. I'm pretty sure we're ready to get started. :) ))

Ask and ye shall receive!

TURN 1 - 14:35 Earth Standard

Your platoon arrives on the outskirts of Alpha Bravo 34, the patrol down the road has so far been uneventful except for the large swarms of giant-mosquito-like insects that continually harass you. You swear if they were any bigger they'd be able to pick you up and carry you off...

It's been fairly dry the last few days so there is little mud. Thankfully monsoon season is not for a few more months. The village seems quiet from your vantage point, no movement at all. Some sort of jungle bird is singing in the distance, a high-pitched whistle. If anyone's here they're being very quiet.

Okay, everyone post your actions! I know a few of you already put down some squad actions and detailed formations which I appreciate ( I tried placing them in formation like you specified), but if we could all get it down on the following form it would really help me out! The first little while might be quiet, so feel free to 'stack' movement orders like waypoints.

Character name: Until I learn your names better this will help a lot :)
Squad: If applicable
Formation: Column, line, Diamond, box... make up your own!
Stance: March, Patrol, Charge, Combat (See rules for effects)
Action:
- State where you're going and detail the route. The more detail the less chance there is that I misinterpret the orders :)
- If searching for enemy fire specify the area, about 6" in diameter.

RP: Add RP and fluff liberally to taste.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:43:07 pm by Knave »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie Company 40k (Warhammer 40k meets 'Nam) - Move out! T1
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

Character name: Carnus Tacitus
Squad 2
Formation: Hexagon-laz guns front and rear, grenade launchers on left and right flanks, melta+radioman inside. 10 ft distance.
Stance: Patrol
Action:
Move the squad North into the Hilly forested area-get to the high ground and start sweeping West for hiding enemies.
-------------------
Carnus listened carefully. He remembered reading somewhere that rebels used bird calls to signal each other. Probably just being paranoid...right? He ordered his men to shut the Hell up and move up the hill. No chatter to alert waiting enemies.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:26 pm »

Character name: Wulfric
Squad: 1
Formation: Arrow ( With the grenade launchers in teh middle
Action:
- Head to Zulu be wary of enemy fire

RP: Wulfric turned to his men, and said " Lets go we are heading to Zulu take up position in the hamlet there, and search for enemies. If one of you gets shot, and I have to drag your asses back to base I will maek you repeat training week in one day, so your eyes peeled, and head out of your ass, and move it!" with that he turned, and lead his men to Zulu.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:39 pm »

Character name: Adeon Loken
Squad: Weapons Squad
Formation: Spread out. A privates with lazguns should be at the ends of both flanks, followed by Stubbers, then melta/officers.
ie: P-S-C-M-A-S-P
P = Private
S = Stubber
C = Corporal
M = Melter
A = Adeon
Action:
- Wait for squad 1 to reach Zulu.
-- If squad 1 experiences enemy fire at Zulu, move in to help.
--- Else, move directly to Sierra, or as close as possible.

RP: Adeon turned to his men, a big grin on his face. "Men, praise the Emperor! We've been tasked to clear this road for our brothers and comrades. If we're really lucky, we'll get to show those traitorous rebel scum what's coming for them. We'll only be taking point Sierra first, but who knows, the rebel capital might be next. Now who's with me lads?" A chorus of half-hearted grumblings met Adeon's ears as his squad prepared to move out.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23