Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which idea do you prefer?

The first, I'd like to know more about colossi.
The second, I want to see a wider variety of megabeasts.
Either one, or both.
Neither, it's fine as it is.
Other (State in thread, please).

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colossi  (Read 3011 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Colossi
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »

Most semi/megabeasts, and most DF creatures in general, have a strong basis in myth and therefore a strongly defined "personality." Not bronze colossi. Therefore, I suggest that either:
1.) Bronze colossi gain more characterization (possibly from a Threetoe story, until Toady One gets around to programming the relevant stuff in).
2.) Bronze colossi are replaced by the following colossi:
(Warning:May contain metaphors that make little sense.)
Iron Colossus
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Steel Colossus

Bronze Colossus

Wood Colossus

Obsidian Colossus

Copper Colossus
Maybe these would be castes of a "colossus" creature...hm...
----

I would like your thoughts. Although it would be cool if my ideas for colossus castes were taken, I'd be just as happy to see DF bronze colossi get a bit more defined.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colossi
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:24:34 pm »

You have no idea what the Colossus is, do you?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:00 pm »

The one thing I'd like the Collosus to change in the not so distant future is what exactly is it depicting based upon its construction.

For example if the Collosus is a General carrying an ornamental spear or some sort of giant scholar with a huge stone tablet inscribed with arcane secrets. Heck I'd love a Bronze Collosus to be someone standing on a horse.

Anyhow the problem with allowing the collosus to change material is that the Bronze collosus as it stands is rather almighty.

Wood and Obsideon is too weak.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »

Yes, inanimate.

The one thing I'd like the Collosus to change in the not so distant future is what exactly is it depicting based upon its construction.

For example if the Collosus is a General carrying an ornamental spear or some sort of giant scholar with a huge stone tablet inscribed with arcane secrets. Heck I'd love a Bronze Collosus to be someone standing on a horse.

Anyhow the problem with allowing the collosus to change material is that the Bronze collosus as it stands is rather almighty.

Wood and Obsideon is too weak.
As to the first: That would be cool.
As to the second: Not if it come with a few squads of mad goblins or whatever or fires spear-sized splinters from its hands.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

As to the second: Not if it come with a few squads of mad goblins or whatever or fires spear-sized splinters from its hands

At that point it is better as a different creature. Besides I don't think the collosus should "work" for anyone but a god I guess.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »

I think more detail needs to go into how they are constructed. Like now Zombies are reincarnated by necromancers. Maybe they could be created by some legendary smith that goes insane or something (probably a human as they are bronze). They could then have some variation, like what they depict and maybe engravings and stuff.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Zurvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:34 am »

Yes, inanimate.

This is a legitimate criticism, if the only inspiration were the historic statue at Rhodes. However, there are actual mythical antecedents, even in classical mythology. Consider Talos, the metal giant, protector of Crete:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talos

Some additional information, from the standard references. Der Neue Pauly:
Crete's iron guardian
Myth of various versions in Apollod. 1,140 f.: T. was one of the bronze race or was given to Minos by Hephaestus (by Zeus to Europe [2]: Apoll. Rhod. 4,1643); he is a bronze man (triple giant: Orph. A. 1351) or a bull; he has a single vein from the neck to the ankles which is sealed at the end by a bronze nail (a membrane: Apoll. Rhod. 4,1647 f.); he runs all the way around Crete three times a day and keeps the Argonauts from landing by throwing stones; he is killed by Medea, who by madness-inducing potions or by promising him immortality gets him to remove the nail and bleed to death (according to Apoll. Rhod. 4,1665-1688, the angered Medea casts a spell on his eyes, causing him to injure his ankle on a rock so that the Ichor flows out); or Poeas (Argonaut: Apollod. 1,112) kills him by shooting him in the ankle. According to schol. Hom. Od. 20,302, T. - heated by fire - embraces his victims who die facing his 'sardonic' grin.

OCD:
Talos   1. An animated bronze man, in the usual account made by Hephaestus to guard Europa ; later the guardian of Crete . There are several variant accounts of his origin and function. He kept strangers off by throwing stones ( Apollonius Rhodius 4. 1638–88), or burned them (Simonides, in Page , Poetae Melici Graeci 568), or heated himself red-hot and clasped them in his arms ( Eustathius Ad Odysseam 20. 302). His vital fluid was kept in a magic membrane in his foot; Medea cast him into a magic sleep and cut the membrane, thus killing him.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:37 am »

...Huh. I guess I don't know as much about mythology as I thought.
Sig

Mountain-King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:42 am »

i think the main problem with bronze collosi is that they're too... i don't know, "specific?"

in a world like DF's with so few megabeasts, they should either be something very recognizable (dragons, hydras, rocs) or something randomly generated that can be a wide variety of things (titans.) bronze collosi are a cool monster idea but they aren't as archetypal as dragons or hydras or rocs, and they're always the same. they stand out even more since they're probably the strongest type of megabeast.

the best way to save the bronze collosi would probably be to make them more randomly generated, making it possible for them to be made out of different materials and have different strengths and weaknesses. this would eliminate the need to make a bunch of different specific colossi.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »

i think the main problem with bronze collosi is that they're too... i don't know, "specific?"

in a world like DF's with so few megabeasts, they should either be something very recognizable (dragons, hydras, rocs) or something randomly generated that can be a wide variety of things (titans.) bronze collosi are a cool monster idea but they aren't as archetypal as dragons or hydras or rocs, and they're always the same. they stand out even more since they're probably the strongest type of megabeast.

the best way to save the bronze collosi would probably be to make them more randomly generated, making it possible for them to be made out of different materials and have different strengths and weaknesses. this would eliminate the need to make a bunch of different specific colossi.
So...procedural colossi? That...isn't a bad idea, but it makes them into humanoid inorganic titans with bad tempers and fluffy wambler weaknesses.
Sig

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 11:34:26 am »

I would prefer BC's to just stay in the game and not be made of different materials because the BC seems to be something very Dwarf Fortress-y
Of course a randomly generated BC with some default stats (friggin' huge and made out of bronze...) would be a great addition

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »

I would prefer BC's to just stay in the game and not be made of different materials because the BC seems to be something very Dwarf Fortress-y
Of course a randomly generated BC with some default stats (friggin' huge and made out of bronze...) would be a great addition
Maybe a random, specific-to-that critter weapon? Maybe random personality? Maybe a bit of definition as something other than "A murderous Colossus of Rhodes" in a Threetoe story or something?
Sig

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:23 pm »

Yeah, not sure what would distinguish a Colossi from say, a metallic Titan, if they were randomly generated.

I think they are supposed to be a a golem. Notice in the legends they are often associated with war, fortresses, ect. I'd suppose they are some sort of war machine made by the gods or some ancient dwarves or something. Since it's controllers are long dead, it just smashes everything. The shrine could very well be it's garage or something.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »

Iron Colossus?
Don't you mean Iron Giant?
Badum-tish.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »

Yeah, not sure what would distinguish a Colossi from say, a metallic Titan, if they were randomly generated.

I think they are supposed to be a a golem. Notice in the legends they are often associated with war, fortresses, ect. I'd suppose they are some sort of war machine made by the gods or some ancient dwarves or something. Since it's controllers are long dead, it just smashes everything. The shrine could very well be it's garage or something.
Hm...I can't wait until The Creators are implemented/otherwise suggested, then.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2