Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.25: Weapon quality vs. material (I know there have been many similar topics)  (Read 953 times)

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should I be using a –copper pick– or a bronze pick? Also, I guess this thread can be about any other questions about the importance of material/quality in weapons or armor in this latest version.

If there is a thread for this already, sorry, I did search a bit. If so, could you just link to it so I can delete this thread?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Higher-quality weapons and armor get better to-hit/deflection rolls, respectively. Also, I believe that edged weapons get sharper edges, up to their material's MAX_EDGE tag at Masterpiece and Artifact quality.

Material definitely matters more than quality in current versions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So bronze pick > –copper pick–?
Also, when we talk about the materials good for blunt and edged weapons, what do piercing weapons count as?
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Piercing and edged weapons are basically the same thing, except piercing weapons have smaller contact area.

But yeah, bronze will suit you better than copper there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A superior pick is as effective as a no-quality one. Only masterpieces and artifacts get bonuses.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A superior pick is as effective as a no-quality one. Only masterpieces and artifacts get bonuses.

According to the wiki's page on quality, you might be right, except that page only talks about the to-hit/deflection bonuses, not any effect on the weapon's edge, which may or may not be better.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This.

...is the reason that overpowered bandits and enemies with masterwork armor and weapons are scary.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah I see. Well, that makes my life much easier. Now I just need to comb every shop in this town, since last night i THINK I saw a masterpiece item I couldn't afford, but I was really tired and it might have just been exceptional.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, sorry another quick question. copper greaves or iron chain leggings. Iron is better than copper, but but greaves are rigid, which would be best for stopping bone shattering punches or leg stabbings?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greaves normally protect the upper legs, hips. Worn with highboots, lower part of the body is protected. And can wear some types of clothing underneath, unfortunately not chain leggings
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration