Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Livestock fighting each other  (Read 1602 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Livestock fighting each other
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:21:12 am »

My livestock keep fighting among themselves, and in my latest fort, have suffered severe injuries as a result.

My waterbuffalo calf attacked my kitten, my ewe, my donkey (goring it), my yak bull (also goring it), and my billy goat (wrestling it by the ear ???), and then jumped out of the way of the donkey, colliding with an obstacle and fatally injuring itself.

The donkey then attacked my billy goat and my yak, both of which jumped into obstacles.

As a result, my goat has had three broken legs, thee missing hoves, and a broken ear, my yak has four broken legs, a broken spine, and is missing a hoof and a horn, my ewe has three broken legs, and my donkey is uninjured.

Does anyone know what is causing this, or how to prevent it?  (I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on it).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Livestock fighting each other
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:27:41 am »

animals are claustrophobic. make bigger pastures.
LOSING IS FUN!

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:27 am »

If they are all in one pasture, make a bunch of separate pastures. If animals are too close they fight each other. MY favorite method is a bit like a zoo, giving each species it's own pasture.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:33:26 am »

If they are all in one pasture, make a bunch of separate pastures. If animals are too close they fight each other. MY favorite method is a bit like a zoo, giving each species it's own pasture.

This. When I had one huge pasture all the animals just gathered in the top corner and started beating each other up. I think they must be following the "start at top left" pathfinding that woodcutters and planet gatherers use. So whenever grass grew up there they'd all rush to grab it and start fighting.

Since splitting them up into separate pastures I've had no problems. It's a pain creating new ones for the migrants' useless pets though...

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:33 am »

Do same species creatures fight?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:47:36 pm »

Yeah, I've even seen a camel mother kill one of it's young by a kick to the head.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »

Camels don't mess about.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

My camel is just an asshole. It's killed three yak and a couple sheep. Bitch. Now my dwarves are eating delicious camel biscuits.

Though yeah, separate pastures should fix everything.

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »

I had a yak calf kill a donkey by gorgeing it in the spine so it became paralyzed until it suffocated

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

The animal community decided to host a sporting event. The winner gets all of the grass they can eat, for the rest of their life. Losers die, usually from problems caused by nerve and/or head damage. It's a pretty long competition, and can be interesting to watch.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:19:22 pm »

Though yeah, separate pastures should fix everything.

I also wall fence off my pastures to contian any young that squirt out.