Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help for a nooby map genner?  (Read 780 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help for a nooby map genner?
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:34 am »

Hey guys, just genned a vair sexy random map and found a PERFECT embark spot, at least for me, is there anyway to ensure I can reuse it? Because as I understand it if I abandon, my fortress (or attempt at) will still be there. And, knowing me, that first fortress would probably be on fire whilst frozen, being raided by goblins and covered in rats. Apart from that, I'm also worried that all the civs mightn't yet be well set up enough because I genned the world without any history. I'd like to be sieged.

tl;dr
How do I keep an unblemished copy of the map and is it possible to age it further?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Help for a nooby map genner?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:34 am »

If you want to save the map just copy the save's folder to another location. DF-Saves-Region X. Copy and paste it to somewhere like my documents. Once it's backed up you can play on the origional and then if you want to start again on the same embark spot just change over the folders and start again.

But sadly, once the world gen is finished you can't continue the genning.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:48:10 am »

If you want to save the map just copy the save's folder to another location. DF-Saves-Region X. Copy and paste it to somewhere like my documents. Once it's backed up you can play on the origional and then if you want to start again on the same embark spot just change over the folders and start again.

But sadly, once the world gen is finished you can't continue the genning.

the world gen parameters are usually saved in the main directory as a .txt file.

you can tack on a few years to the gen cycle and use the same seeds and it probably won't affect geography 

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:03:51 am »

You can export worldgen parameters in legends mode. Check the wiki.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:08:36 am »

The world gen params, history, sites & population, & map(s) are only saved in the main game folder if you hit "p" to export them at the end of world gen.

To get the world gen params (including seed numbers, which is the main bit you need) most people do something in "Legends" mode, but I don't know what 'cos I've never done, instead what I do is (in an existing fortress), use "Esc" to access the menu to export an image/map of a level of my fortress/embark, when this is done, the world gen data is also exported.

Once the world gen data has been exported, you want to paste the contents of the file (less the first line) into your main world gen parameters file which is found by opening "<main game dir>\data\init\world_gen.txt".

I hope that helps & wasn't excessively insulting (I generally try to give complete instructions because I don't know how much any given reader is going to already know, & not just the OP but anyone who comes along later looking for the info).