Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No partys  (Read 997 times)

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No partys
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »

I haven't seen a dwarf throw a single party in my last few fortresses, my current fort is 7 almost 8 years old i have a great big meeting hall/dining room and still no party's, i feel like i haven't seen one since d40 but that can't be right, hardly any of my dwarfs are friends with each other or have any grudges, am i simply working them too hard and not allowing enough down time?  It doesn't sound right to me but i dont know.

On the same note didn't it used to announce weddings too?

My game isn't modded at all aside from Ironhand's graphic set.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No partys
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »

It does announce both; I've had tons of parties and weddings in my fort.  What might be happening is your dwarves are too spread out in the dining hall; they'll socialize while on break even if they're working.  Creating a statue garden would help, and of course nothing beats a 1x1meeting area.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:54 am »

Why would you actually want a party?
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:26:10 am »

Why would you actually want a party?

To be irritated by, what else do DF players want things for- violence and complaining! Preferably both!
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:42 am »

Is your meeting hall defined from a table, or is it a zone (made from the i menu)? Dwarfs will only hold parties in meeting halls made from buildings. If it's just a zone, they won't party.

IIRC, you can also draw a zoo out from a built cage and dwarfs will party there too.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:06:55 am »

I haven't seen a dwarf throw a single party in my last few fortresses, my current fort is 7 almost 8 years old i have a great big meeting hall/dining room and still no party's, i feel like i haven't seen one since d40 but that can't be right, hardly any of my dwarfs are friends with each other or have any grudges, am i simply working them too hard and not allowing enough down time?  It doesn't sound right to me but i dont know.

On the same note didn't it used to announce weddings too?

My game isn't modded at all aside from Ironhand's graphic set.

It's normal. My oldest fort is 12 years old, and I have never witnessed any party or wedding in any of my forts. I've even checked gamelog.txt for announcements and there were none. I have some meeting areas, but don't give much free time for dwarves. I don't build meeting halls from buildings - only meeting zones. Actually I don't see a reason to make such halls or statue gardens or zoos. For instance dwarves will perceive animals in cages regardless. Unless you really want them to party, don't designate such things. If you want, make a garden and be happy with their happiness.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 04:11:42 am »

An easy way to get parties is to let your dining room also be a meeting zone. Being designated from a table makes it a valid party venue.
Personally, I never let my dwarves party, because they just can't prioritize. Their friend dehydrating in jail? Sorry, we're on break. Ugh.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 04:30:20 am »

Is there any real advantage to a party? I've just always been frustrated at the loss of labor and considered pulling that lever that leads to magma on their heads
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:41:21 am »

Is your meeting hall defined from a table, or is it a zone (made from the i menu)? Dwarfs will only hold parties in meeting halls made from buildings. If it's just a zone, they won't party.

IIRC, you can also draw a zoo out from a built cage and dwarfs will party there too.

Dwarves wil also party in personal residences at statues, or at statues or cages in jails, as well as statues in public statue gardens or tables in dining halls.  I'm pretty sure I've seen parties in dormitories too.

I believe dwarves can start a party at any artifact furniture or workshop (I know I've seen parties at artifact Querns after they were placed in dining halls or dormitories.

As for recently, I'm running .25 and I am seeing normal dwarfy party behavior.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

My meeting hall is defined from a table in my dining room, i tried resizing it down to a much smaller area and still i have not seen a party even with about 60 dwarfs standing around doin nothing for quite a while, as i said none of them seem to be socializing at all, iv looked through a bunch of dwarfs and none of them have any friends/grudges, just there family members and passing acquaintances.  I have not seen a wedding party either so i assume all my dwarfs who are married came to the fort that way.

I havn't yet tried making a zoo or a statue garden but i dont see why they would act any differently.

using .25 btw.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 04:31:03 pm »

It'll probably take some time for them to develop their relationships beyond acquaintances, so parties won't happen for a little while nor will marriages (which require them first to be lovers and then actually get married).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:36 am »

Dwarven children, if you have them, tend to throw lots of parties.

I'd suggest increasing the size of the meeting hall, and putting a few statues in there, made by your best mason, out of high value stone if you have some.  Maybe even out of glass or metal if you have those industries and a decent crafter of those items.

Locking a jeweler in a room with some high value gems and your highest quality statues then giving him the encrust furniture job should get the value of the statues to a nice place.  Dwarves tend to throw parties around the most valuable furniture they can find, or around their personal furniture.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)